[Q] Should I upgrade my modem?

Search This thread

torpy

Oct 3, 2010
Hi All,

I just recently returned to my trusty T999 Galaxy S3 and was wondering what modem I should update to? I just flashed CM11 and everything appears to be working properly except it says 3G in the status bar and not H+ (even though I'm in an HSPA/LTE area).

Currently I am on modem T999UVDLJA, which I believe is a 4.1.1 modem. Should I update to a 4.3 modem?(if so which one?) or stick with the 4.1.1 modem? I've read that once you update to a 4.3 modem you can't go back to 4.1 modems? Is that true?

All recommendations are welcome.

Thanks!

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Once on 4.3 firmware you cannot use older modems. If on pre 4.3 firmware you can try the 4.3 one and go back if needed.

First, though, start a large download using mobile data. Go to settings, about device, status, network type. This will tell you your true connection type.
If hspa is not working, its much more likely to be a tower issue than a problem with the modem. Still, it doesnt hurt to try the other modems though!

torpy

Oct 3, 2010
Once on 4.3 firmware you cannot use older modems. If on pre 4.3 firmware you can try the 4.3 one and go back if needed.

First, though, start a large download using mobile data. Go to settings, about device, status, network type. This will tell you your true connection type.
If hspa is not working, its much more likely to be a tower issue than a problem with the modem. Still, it doesnt hurt to try the other modems though!

Hi Doc,
You are correct, once i start doing a "large download" the data changes to H+ up top, so HSPA is working. Now with regards to pre 4.3 modems not working, I am running CM11 which is 4.4.4 and am running the old UVDLJA modem. In theory is this not supposed to work?

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Doesn't matter what rom you are on. Its the base firmware. If you have updated to 4.3 firmware, you must use the same or newer modem as the firmware build.
If running non touchwiz kk, as I understand it you can do so on older firmware. To run a touchwiz kk rom though, you must be on 4.3 firmware and thus a 4.3 modem.

You are using a non touchwiz rom, so as long as you are not updated to the 4.3 firmware, you can run the LJA modem without issue. Once you update to 4.3, you will have to use the 4.3 modem.

torpy

Oct 3, 2010
Doesn't matter what rom you are on. Its the base firmware. If you have updated to 4.3 firmware, you must use the same or newer modem as the firmware build.
If running non touchwiz kk, as I understand it you can do so on older firmware. To run a touchwiz kk rom though, you must be on 4.3 firmware and thus a 4.3 modem.

You are using a non touchwiz rom, so as long as you are not updated to the 4.3 firmware, you can run the LJA modem without issue. Once you update to 4.3, you will have to use the 4.3 modem.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. How do I find out what my base firmware is then?

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
Hi Doc,
You are correct, once i start doing a "large download" the data changes to H+ up top, so HSPA is working. Now with regards to pre 4.3 modems not working, I am running CM11 which is 4.4.4 and am running the old UVDLJA modem. In theory is this not supposed to work?
I remember there were certain modem versions that wouldn't work with hspa, must have been ICS then..
Ok, thanks for the clarification. How do I find out what my base firmware is then?
Use phone info from the play store under firmware it will give you all the info

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

torpy

Oct 3, 2010
Is it safe to update to a 4.3 modem? Will it "brick" my phone and/or lock it with KNOX?

Which 4.3 modem should i update to?

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Im sure the app serio22 mentioned will work fine, but I always tell people to do this as ive learned you cant always trust what an app or gui tells you!

In terminal emulator, enter this:

getprop ro.bootloader

What it returns is your base firmware build.

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
Im sure the app serio22 mentioned will work fine, but I always tell people to do this as ive learned you cant always trust what an app or gui tells you!

getprop ro.bootloader

That's what I use to tell people as well but they were always confused on how to use it and read the info so I just started mentioning that app instead.. I'm not sure if it works on CM come to think of it. What I like about it is that it gives you tons of info, even how many times you've plugged into the headset jack, and charger! Lol

Reactions: DocHoliday77

dorian2kx

Sep 24, 2012
Well I'm on a 4.4.4 rom with very old modem from ever since and I'm getting h+ tho never had any problems really

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

getprop ro.bootloader

That's what I use to tell people as well but they were always confused on how to use it and read the info so I just started mentioning that app instead.. I'm not sure if it works on CM come to think of it. What I like about it is that it gives you tons of info, even how many times you've plugged into the headset jack, and charger! Lol