Fix and prevent ROM upgrade/downgrade Country ID errors

Search This thread
DevideData.txt only shows "U" any ideas?

Attempting to follow your dirctions in "Fix and prevent ROM upgrade/downgrade Country ID errors" but can't even get passed the first step. My DeviceData.txt only shows "U"

Have ran it half dozen times and nothing shows up. My unit is a TMobile MDA II and running Sin's SE update. His carriers are for Australia only so I need to ensure all is switched to TMobile US. Already did the upgrade and tried to use the OperatorUpdate but when attempting to reflash get the country code error. Hence on to your directions on the fix and hit that "U" only issue.

My system info is:

Unit: MDA II
Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition
ROM version: 2.06.00WWE
ROM date: 06/14/04
Radio version: 1.18.00
Protocol version: 1337.38
ExtROM version: blank

powershot-g2

Nov 7, 2004
dcs said:
IMPORTANT: Updated 28th September - I now know that if you have bootloader v1.06 on your XDA II, you cannot downgrade your ROM :( (at the moment). We will see if we can find a way round this but cannot promise anything. My thanks to gerald8297 for his patience and help using his device and thus enabling me and him to determine this.

I maybe found a way around the 1.06 bootloader problem. I have a Qtek 2020 wich i have upgraded to 2.20 (chiness translation of WM2003SE) and for some reason i want the original rom to replace it. It's a 1.75 (WM2003)

In the first place i try to simply update it. It fails with a contry error. So i tried to put the thing in bootloader (Holding down the navigator-key while doing a hard-reset) and put it back (still in bootloader) in the cradel and run the HimaUpgradUT anf BINGO!!! it works. My point of view is whenever this thing is in bootloader the upgrade utility have no access to the software version on the thing. You should se this figured out by the missing values of the old software at the top ofg thw update windoow while the thing is in bootloader. Haven't no vclue of trhe old software, the upgrade utility just upgrades the roms as normal without problems.

Steven

Testonly

Jan 4, 2005
XDAII with bootloader 1.06 dowgraded !!

First of all, thanks to dcs for the post. I've just to downgrade a XDAII with bootloader 1.06, and I want to explain how it is.

First of all the XDA is featured with a ROM 1.72 ESN and with a bootloader 1.06 as well. My aim was to upgrade it to a 1.59 ESN, nevertheless I think wich version applies doesn't make any difference.

It's enough with making a backup of the current version (ms_.nbf, NK.nbf and Radio_.nbf). By using the commands provided by dcs it's easy to get the .nba files.

The procedure has to be repeated with all files you like to load (that ones from the new version), and ALL headers from the old files to the new files shall be copied (Carrier, Language, Version, model, etc.). Into the ms_.nba file it has to be copied twice.

Then after the files CRC shall be updated, as indicated by dcs, and the new files are encrypted once again, with the .nbf file, and finally the upgrade shall be executed.

Consequently I have succeded in restoring a "dead" XDA.

john_skeebop

Jan 18, 2005
Cannot run HimaGetDeviceData

Hello,

I tried to upgrade my device and I followed the instructions. It started the upgrade but then suddenly said "Country Error". Now I am stuck with the USB/Serial boot screen and nothing else. I cannot reset the device and I can't communicate with the device. I cannot put HimaGetDeviceData on the device to get my device data to get the correct country code anymore. Is there any way to get around this?
THanks

cooldude585

Jan 23, 2005
still unable to get going

i guys i am from india
first of all i would like to congratulate you guys on the great work done by you all..
i bought the Krome F1 Navigator
the devicedata.txt is as follows
Code:
U S B   3 2   1 . 7 2 . 0 0 W W E                               P H 1 0               E - C h a r g e                           W W E                 1 . 7 2 . 1 9 5                 1 . 1 7 . 0 0

i have read all the 28 pages and i am still yet to find a solution am foist just trying to update the NK.nbf file i changes the headers to E-Charge and still i get the operator id error
the site that has the details of my phone is
http://www.krome.com.au/navigatorF1.htm
now the problem is like this is downloaded the dcs rom upgrade file and it had radio.nbf and nk.nbf i changed the headers to E-Charge i still get the country code error and now is see a Serial and V 1.06 screen and when i connect it to the usb cradle it becomes USB 1.06 also i wanted to know if i should insert the simcard of my gsm company while upgrading or not and how do i proceed?
thanks in advance
i already had posted this in the genuine win2003 thread buy got jusdt 1 reply i dunno what uis wrong i tried all possible names useing the batch file made by dcs and still this is not working i read somewhetre on this forum that someone has made a country id free rom 2.20wwe if u can tell me how to do it it will be gr8 and thanks ashaqq for help i will call u in some time till then guys please help me my phone is in the boot loader mode.. thanks once again
p.s this is the first time i flashed my rom and had changed all the headers of nk and radio nbf files i had not used the ms.nbf file so the 74/94 offset shouldnt come into the picture and one more thing does the simcard being inside the phone or should i remove it while flashing?

victorp

Feb 11, 2005
GetDeviceData doesn't work

It seems that I can't get the GetDeviceData.exe to work on my Phone.
The DeviceData.txt only contains the letter U, nothing more.
Can somebody help me? Thanks in advance.

victoradjei

Nov 8, 2004
victorp,
copy that file to your pc and open it there with note pad. you will see the detail. Good luck.

Victor

cpthe

Feb 7, 2005
Cannot find ms_.nba file!

Am so close, yet am stuck on step 9 because I cannot locate the ms_.nba file. Have been searching for about an hour now. Could anyone please point me in the right direction? Thanks

andrea11

Feb 23, 2005
Finland
I have just updated my qtek2020 from 1.60wwe to 1.72wwe very smoothly. thanks. but I have not noticed any difference in performance or feature with my previous rom. what I am missing? thanks.
andrea

amir77a

May 1, 2004
thanks for all the info here + Update

Everything was working ok, country ID problem solved.

Just wanna updated that everything is working OK,even with bootloader 1.06.
I downgrade with no problems.

alr

Mar 14, 2005
Help Me!

Hi Guys,

I have buyed an XDA II but it is in German language. I want update rom in Italian. Somebody can send me it at alr@bitween.com ?

I m newbie on MS PocketPC and i don t want freeze my Pocket!

florino69

Mar 21, 2005
dcs you really are a god. Thx for this wonderful job, now my XDA speaks english instead of german witch is kind of chinease for me... :D ... i had the "country id error" before but thx to your help now it's history. But i did't understood the steps 9,10,11, and i jumped at 12,and i had no errors, can you please tell me if this is wrong? When i try to edit the "ms_.nba" file, after i write "74" it gives me something like "4F" and i did't understood what to write instead of "4F" so i did't do that step. On the other hand i saw that you use Rom Version "OS 1.72.00WWE " can i ask you why you don't use "2.06.00WWE"?

zairyaab

Nov 22, 2004
How Do I Fix Country Error For WM2005 ?

Hi guys........read the whole post......
BUT could'nt find a way on HOW TO FIX COUNTRY ID ERROR for WM2005, as it only has nk.nbf and himaupgrade.exe so how do i change the COUNTRY ID ERROR on WM2005 ?

thanks......
jeetz.....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    dcs your efforts are very appreciated

I am computer literate but no means a comuter expert. I was very nervous about upgrading but was not happy with Qtek version 1.66 and in truth wanted blackberry capability. I took the plunge and followed exactly the 17 steps in dcs post. I upgraded without any country code problems and so far the unit looks to be working fine.

DCS - your instructions were clear and with some computer skills relatively easy to follow. The process took me about 5 hours with reading and just being carefull. I do caution people that if any stage is unclear clarify first exactly what to do before continueing - the consequences can be grave.

My device data text file after upgrade is
    U S B 3 2 1 . 7 2 . 0 0 W W E
    P H 1 0
    Q t e k
    W W E
    1 . 7 2 . 1 8 1
    1 . 1 7 . 0 0

I am amazed that it worked - again great job to all that allow us "users" the ability to get a little more involved that just regular computer use.

I thank you

AJB
    I have exactly the same problem like yours. Thanks to dcs for your hard work.