Minix NEO X8 and X8-H Amlogic S802 Quad Core TV BOX

Search This thread

bullet_in_head

Oct 20, 2014
Hi all! There's someone who was able to unpack the x8 firmware? Does someone knows where can I find info for this task? thanks!!

Orna

Oct 26, 2014
Home network and wifi full hd movies streaming

Hello everybody,

I have very important question .

I realy want to buy the minix neo x8-h, i am mainly want to use it for streaming 720p-1080p movies from my windows 8.1 pc by wifi.
I need to know is it possible ?? can i connect through WIFI to my home network and share my picture music & video ?

If it possible, then can i stream my full hd movie through WIFI ? is it going to play the movie smooth ?

Another question about USB HDD, is the neo x8-h can play full HD movie from external hdd smoothly?

i dont realy care about netflix or other app like it, as this kind of services are not available in my country.

Thank you all very much,
orna.

vlevi

Mar 15, 2013
Yes it can play fullhd movies. BD iso files are no problem as well. You can use xbmc.
But this is not a perfect media player, for example, there is no 24p. Of course it can play these movies, but it will not change the screen refresh rate during playback.
I saw some Atom based mini devices, for example, zotac did it. With windows 8.1 preinstalled, it is nearly the same as your desktop pc, but with minimla power consumption. And of course, with less computing power, but it is more than enough to use it as a media player.

umby75

Mar 9, 2012
Hi at all!! I have the phone you see in my signature and i have this Minix i bought a month ago.
The configuration is the link in below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7m76rdx1rp6sff4/Screenshot_2014-11-13-12-55-53.png?dl=0

I don't know why i cannot send video signal of my media on Tv.
The Minix gives me tgat Hdcp is not supported...
Audio signal is transmitted regularly.
Please help me!!

Edit: with the build "XXUGNG8" the wifi Direct works fine!!!

sent from Int. GT-I9505 & stock KK 4.4.2 no brand, Rome - Italy

Last edited:

djfirestorm

Jan 13, 2013
Hey not sure if this was covered. Someone mentioned it played 3D ISO in XBMC but in 2D only? Well 2 things to consider...was the option in XBMC set to play the ISO in 3D or 2D (assuming they have a custom version like VidOn...aka CrapOn). If it has that option then it may have been set to 2D unknowing to the poster of that comment. Also, if they do not have a custom version of XBMC, it may have to be played via the file browser. If anyone owning this box can let me know. Also I am looking at the X8-H Plus as it has a slightly updated CPU.

Reactions: Mad07

braun1000

May 16, 2008
Remote control is not working with RemoteIME

If you have the android smartphone/tablet, you can try to install the droidmote app, and then you can zoom in/out google maps like what you did on touchscreen.

or minix have their own smartphone control app, check here:

The RemoteIME is not working in my new neo x8-h. I can turn on the remote controntol button at the neo x8-h and it shows the IP adress. But my android phone (Acer E380) is not able to find the neo x8-h. I am using the same network. Google TV remote works. Yatse works in XMBC, RK Remote Control from Minix is not working. DroidMote is still not testet, I will do that after Rooting my Neo. Does anyone have an idea why the RemoteIME ist not working?

Sielon

Jan 10, 2012
My first Android TV. I have problem with HBO GO. Appplication works in full screen mode, but watching movies cant fill full screen. A few cm black frame appears in every movie. Any solution?

Reactions: drdan123

davcri91

Jan 16, 2015
L'Aquila
What about custom ROMs on this device ? Is Minix community-friendly ? Sadly I don't see much development for Minix pc here on XDA :(
What about some OS like Debian ARM, Arch Linux ARM ? Is it possible to install them on these minipc in general ?

I've already posted this question in the X8-H PLUS thread, but I'm trying to understand how the community support these kind of devices :D

kingfiras

Aug 24, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
What about custom ROMs on this device ? Is Minix community-friendly ? Sadly I don't see much development for Minix pc here on XDA :(
What about some OS like Debian ARM, Arch Linux ARM ? Is it possible to install them on these minipc in general ?

I've already posted this question in the X8-H PLUS thread, but I'm trying to understand how the community support these kind of devices :D

There is development in freaktab forums .. By Finless .. The guy is the master .. Can't claim I am a power user .. Just xbmc/kodi and all is great so far.

Reactions: davcri91

droidelec

Nov 20, 2014
Problem of Minix is no real support for custom ROM's and no any kind of support in general, they just compile from SDK and even dont want to fix bug's, such shame.....

Reactions: Ichijoe

davcri91

Jan 16, 2015
L'Aquila
They reply quite quikly on the forum, but i don't know about their support.
Surely I would have preferred more development here on xda.

liobeir

May 11, 2011
waasmunster
Finless

Hi
I want to flash the Finless rom and I need a fat32 formatted sd card. So I have a micro SD card putted in a micro SD card adapter. But my minix won't read it. In my computer no problem to read but yeah my minix doesn't. Is It cause of the adapter? Should I buy an SD card that doesn't need an adapter to fit the minix? Is it so that I should see the SD card as an external SD card in a file Explorer on my minix? Can I flash the rom with a formatted USB stick? Of must of be an SD card? Thanks!

Ichijoe

Feb 11, 2007
Frankfurt am/Main
There is development in freaktab forums .. By Finless .. The guy is the master .. Can't claim I am a power user .. Just xbmc/kodi and all is great so far.
No disrespect to Finless, but his stuff could only be called modded Firmwares at best. I think Lipstick meets Pig is the kind of concept I'm aiming for here.

The closest thing you are likely to find, in the way of custom. Would have to be OpenELEC, which is just Kodi running under a very basic Linux. As such you do lose all the other goodies under Android.

So to me Custom ROMs mean CM, OmniROM, etc... Since you need the Amlogic SDK for that, and your not likely to ever actually get it.. (I gather Finless, and one, or two others on Freaktab have it), there's not much hope for any custom ROMs. Since I gather those that have the SDK anyway are prevented under some NDA (or other), from actually using them to compile anything with them.

I guess the unanswered question would be are Amlogics SDK as messed up as MediaTeks are to the point of not being very useful at all?

Abelu

Jan 29, 2016
New York
A good review

From the specification, the Rk3288 is better than the S802-H, however, you know, rockchip is always sucks on XBMC, you can't get hardware decoding well on rk3066 and rk3188. don't know if it will get better in RK3288.

for amlogic s802, the xbmc support is always better.

but as far as i know, there is also a new chip called S812 which will better than S802, but no more information about this s812 chip.

it is cool to see the review on Youtube, I think I will get one:)

Top Liked Posts