Difference between Unrevoked 3 and Unrevoked forever?

Search This thread

androidtx

Jun 14, 2009
Can someone explain to me the difference between unrevoked 3 and unrevoked forever? I have read the entire unrevoked site, and searched, and it seems that unrevoked 3 does essentially the same as forever, in that, it seems that forever used to do nand unlock and be a permanent root, and unrevoked wasn't, but now they seem to be the same exact thing. I just ran unrevoked3 on an evo with the latest OTA update on it. Can someone please explain to me what the limitations of this root are compared to unrevoked forever, or even a more traditional rooting method? I still just don't get it, and this is coming from someone who rooted a G1 an a N1, and ran CM on both, and flashed recoveries, and did it through ADB.

Ddt928

Aug 29, 2010
I never used forever but my understanding is that forever is not full root. It just turns s off and gives you the ability you flash zips through hboot.

TeknoJnky

Nov 17, 2008
unrevoked = standard root + recovery

unrevoked forever = SOFF (meaning security is turned off at the radio and you can forever flash any valid rom/update even if you do an OTA that removed root and/or recovery, just flash a new amon/clockwork).

I believe that the latest unrevoked does include/run unrevoked forever also, but if you already rooted and have a custom recovery, you can simply flash the unrevoked forever directly.