Chromecast + avr receiver: your experience?

Search This thread

arvonn

Oct 17, 2009
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Still waiting on my Google play order, what models work? Do any avr not work? Is the auto switching working?

Please t report your success or failure with a receiver/ home audio setup...
Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

TabGuy

Jun 20, 2011
I use it with my Onkyo receiver. It has an HDMI input in the front of the receiver. It also happens to have a USB port that I use to power the Chromecast. I didn't have to go to the back of the unit at all.

Good news is that I get Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound with both Netflix and YouTube. When I do Chrome browser in my laptop the sound switches to "all channel stereo".

Deathalo

Oct 15, 2010
I use it with my Onkyo receiver. It has an HDMI input in the front of the receiver. It also happens to have a USB port that I use to power the Chromecast. I didn't have to go to the back of the unit at all.

Good news is that I get Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound with both Netflix and YouTube. When I do Chrome browser in my laptop the sound switches to "all channel stereo".

Same here, front HDMI & USB FTW! Gotta take advantage of the 5.1 surround... when do you get 5.1 from Youtube!?

thatbigmoose

Jan 11, 2012
I don't know if you guys just prefer plugging into your receivers but if you have a TV with HDMI 1.4 you can plug the chromecast directly into your TV and audio will travel to your receiver via the "audio return channel" spec of HDMI 1.4.

scoobdude

Jan 8, 2008
I don't know if you guys just prefer plugging into your receivers but if you have a TV with HDMI 1.4 you can plug the chromecast directly into your TV and audio will travel to your receiver via the "audio return channel" spec of HDMI 1.4.

Its not limited to 1.4, BUT it is limited to stereo ;)

This is the reason why some of us want it plugged into the receiver. Plus, it also means that the receiver does all the switching instead of your ps3, cbox, BD player, roku etc all going through the receiver and them the chromecast on input 2 on the tv ;) Those are my reasons anyway..even though I only have a ps3....