Official Release 4.4.2 KitKat (NC4) Change Log & Observations

Search This thread

edwmsjr

Mar 23, 2011
Virginia
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
The Official Release of KitKat 4.4.2 (NC4) for the Verizon Note 3 (SM-N900V) is now available and the official change log is HERE. However, that is the change log details changes from 4.3 to 4.4.2(NC4).

As someone who installed Beans pre-rooted version of the prior 4.4.2 leak (NC2), I'm curious as to the difference between the NC2 & NC4.

I haven't done any scientific tests, but NC4 certainly seems snappier and more responsive than the NC2 leak.

Also, I had three specific issues with the (NC2) build and all seem to be resolved in NC4...at least so far. First, the NC2 modem was worse than the MJ7 or MJE versions, but the NC4 modem seems as good, if not better than all the ohers. Second, the screen rotation would occasionally stop responding and get stuck in one mode or the other and only a reboot would fix it. And third, the auto brightness didn't work very well, if at all. After five (5) full days of running NC4 with Root I'm not having any issues and this seems to be the most stable and most responsive build yet. Also, battery use is almost identical to what I was getting before...although I probably have been using the phone more just testing it out and setting everything up the way I want it.

Also @anticloud pointed out that now when you setup your hotspot, if you select advanced options, you can now choose between creating a 2.4GHz and 5GHz hotspot. I don't believe that option was available before, but I never checked it in NC2.

Please post any info you have on undocumented changes from NC2 to NC4 and/or any personal experiences you've noticed between the two.

Thanks in Advance!

*** Take the advice of all the great developers and DO NOT install NC4 until they've had a chance to check it out and pre-root it! ***

Last edited:

airmaxx23

Jun 25, 2010
Colton, NY
The Official Release of KitKat 4.4.2 (NC4) for the Verizon Note 3 (SM-N900V) is now available for download...no OTA yet.

As someone who installed Beans pre-rooted version of the prior 4.4.2 leak (NC2), I'm curious as to the difference between the two. I had three specific issues with the (NC2) build. First, the modem was worse than the MJ7 or MJE versions, so I reverted to those. Second, the screen rotation would occasionally stop responding and get stuck in one mode or the other and only a reboot would fix it. And third the auto brightness didn't work very well, if at all. So, I'm curious if any of those specific issues were addressed in the official release.

Please post any info you have on a change log for NC4 and/or any personal experiences you've noticed between the two.

Thanks in Advance!

*** Take the advice of all the great developers and DO NOT install NC4 until they've had a chance to check it out and pre-root it! ***

I haven't experienced either of these issues and I've be on NC2 since the leak came out.

Reactions: edwmsjr

pinhead10

Sep 7, 2010
The Official Release of KitKat 4.4.2 (NC4) for the Verizon Note 3 (SM-N900V) is now available for download...no OTA yet.

As someone who installed Beans pre-rooted version of the prior 4.4.2 leak (NC2), I'm curious as to the difference between the two. I had three specific issues with the (NC2) build. First, the modem was worse than the MJ7 or MJE versions, so I reverted to those. Second, the screen rotation would occasionally stop responding and get stuck in one mode or the other and only a reboot would fix it. And third the auto brightness didn't work very well, if at all. So, I'm curious if any of those specific issues were addressed in the official release.

Please post any info you have on a change log for NC4 and/or any personal experiences you've noticed between the two.

Thanks in Advance!

I've definitely been hitting the screen rotation and auto brightness bugs. Hopefully, those are addressed in NC4

edwmsjr

Mar 23, 2011
Virginia
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Okay...I heard ya and added a question mark at the end of the title. I assumed...and I figured we all did...that there would never be an 'official' change log posted by Samsung or VZW noting the changes from an unofficial, leaked firmware to a final, official version. That's why I wanted to create a forum where end users could document the changes they've noticed. Sorry for the confusion and misleading original title!

UPDATE: I changed the title again because we now actually have an "official VZW change log" which is available in the original post of this thread (Thanks @klittle81). However, I still would like to have users share their experiences from NC2 to NC4...which was my original intention anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

amebiasis

Feb 22, 2011
Montrose, CO/ Vero Beach, FL
Okay...I heard ya and added a question mark at the end of the title. I assumed...and I figured we all did...that there would never be an 'official' change log posted by Samsung or VZW noting the changes from an unofficial, leaked firmware to a final, official version. That's why I wanted to create a forum where end users could document the changes they've noticed. Sorry for the confusion and misleading original title!

I think what he meant is like how me and probably others were thinking, this thread had a change log from 4.3 to 4.4.2 NC4. Thats what I thought.

On the other thread a user is claiming by turning on survival mode on SU he was able to upgrade and keep root. Have any of you that have upgraded tried that and did it work?

edwmsjr

Mar 23, 2011
Virginia
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I think what he meant is like how me and probably others were thinking, this thread had a change log from 4.3 to 4.4.2 NC4. Thats what I thought.

On the other thread a user is claiming by turning on survival mode on SU he was able to upgrade and keep root. Have any of you that have upgraded tried that and did it work?

Yeah, I get that now. I didn't really think about it at first because change logs for 4.4.2 from 4.3 have been out since January pretty much everywhere.

I was going to try the OTA with Survival mode, but when I go to "software update" from "about phone", I get the message "unfortunately, settings has stopped". I'm running the pre-rooted stock 4.4.2 NC2 prepared by Beans. I assume he disabled it to prevent people from taking OTA's by mistake.

amebiasis

Feb 22, 2011
Yeah, I get that now. I didn't really think about it at first because change logs for 4.4.2 from 4.3 have been out since January pretty much everywhere.

I was going to try the OTA with Survival mode, but when I go to "software update" from "about phone", I get the message "unfortunately, settings has stopped". I'm running the pre-rooted stock 4.4.2 NC2 prepared by Beans. I assume he disabled it to prevent people from taking OTA's by mistake.

Ya I'm pretty sure I read somewhere he DID remove it for that "just in case" scenario.

edwmsjr

Mar 23, 2011
Virginia
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Ya I'm pretty sure I read somewhere he DID remove it for that "just in case" scenario.

So, that leads to some questions about the people who are saying that they've installed the OTA with Survival Mode in SU. They must be rooted if they've got SU, but most devs remove the ability to do OTA's...so what gives. Are they rooted on 4.3 or 4.4.2(NC2)...and what rom, if any are they running that allows OTA's? Just thinking out loud... :)

amebiasis

Feb 22, 2011
I'm interested to see if they enabled the XLTE on the Note 3 since the M8 and S5 require software update....maybe that's why it took so long to get it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

If you search through the general forum here there's a big thread on aws we can enable it now I'm 99% sure of through a hidden menu. I'm not sure if root is required but I remember guys saying they enabled it already.

Janker5050

Jan 15, 2011
Pittsburgh
So, that leads to some questions about the people who are saying that they've installed the OTA with Survival Mode in SU. They must be rooted if they've got SU, but most devs remove the ability to do OTA's...so what gives. Are they rooted on 4.3 or 4.4.2(NC2)...and what rom, if any are they running that allows OTA's? Just thinking out loud... :)

The stock rooted latest 4.3 ROM with all boat intact and no theme or any file tampering will allow the 4.4.2 OTA......but if you have any bloat removed or tampered with any system UI or framework files it will fail....so that why some people prefer to freeze bloat instead of deleting it so they can unfreeze it and accept a ota.....If you modded your device and want to ota with root survival mode, your best bet is to back up any internal storage data, do a fresh install of stock 4.3 MJE tar through odin, root using a MJE approved root method...do not modify or debloat anything.....check ota survival in super su app...take the OTA with your fingers crossed cause there is no guarantee. ...now welcome to a secured kernel and no way to revert back to 4.3 to root if it didn't survive..lol

Last edited:
Reactions: edwmsjr

Morlok8k

Aug 28, 2012
Pacific Northwest
The stock rooted latest 4.3 ROM with all boat intact and no theme or any file tampering will allow the 4.4.2 OTA......but if you have any bloat removed or tampered with any system UI or framework files it will fail....so that why some people prefer to freeze bloat instead of deleting it so they can unfreeze it and accept a ota.....If you modded your device and want to ota with root survival mode, your best bet is to back up any internal storage data, do a fresh install of stock 4.3 MJE tar through odin, root using a MJE approved root method...do not modify or debloat anything.....check ota survival in super su app...take the OTA with your fingers crossed cause there is no guarantee. ...now welcome to a secured kernel and no way to revert back to 4.3 to root if it didn't survive..lol

So my tether provisioning hack and wanam xposed probably will make it fail?
I kept a copy of the original tether file. I can uninstall xposed...
Hmmm...

As for backing up internal data, any recommendations? I find Titanium Backup too confusing to use.

If you search through the general forum here there's a big thread on aws we can enable it now I'm 99% sure of through a hidden menu. I'm not sure if root is required but I remember guys saying they enabled it already.

Yea I saw that thread and it had to be enabled manually but I was meaning if it would be enabled from Verizon and us not needing to hack it.

artizhay

May 13, 2014
I just got my Note 3 today and took the OTA without even thinking. Now I'm on NC4 and absolutely no root methods are working for me. Anyone have any ideas? I tried all 3 stock ROMs, which failed. The unsupported root methods failed, through both download mode and normal. And the NC2 root ROM failed in Odin.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i wish this thread had a "?" at the end of the title. with 700+ views i cant be the only one expecting to see the NC4 change log posted LOL
    The Official Release of KitKat 4.4.2 (NC4) for the Verizon Note 3 (SM-N900V) is now available and the official change log is HERE. However, that is the change log details changes from 4.3 to 4.4.2(NC4).

As someone who installed Beans pre-rooted version of the prior 4.4.2 leak (NC2), I'm curious as to the difference between the NC2 & NC4.

I haven't done any scientific tests, but NC4 certainly seems snappier and more responsive than the NC2 leak.

Also, I had three specific issues with the (NC2) build and all seem to be resolved in NC4...at least so far. First, the NC2 modem was worse than the MJ7 or MJE versions, but the NC4 modem seems as good, if not better than all the ohers. Second, the screen rotation would occasionally stop responding and get stuck in one mode or the other and only a reboot would fix it. And third, the auto brightness didn't work very well, if at all. After five (5) full days of running NC4 with Root I'm not having any issues and this seems to be the most stable and most responsive build yet. Also, battery use is almost identical to what I was getting before...although I probably have been using the phone more just testing it out and setting everything up the way I want it.

Also @anticloud pointed out that now when you setup your hotspot, if you select advanced options, you can now choose between creating a 2.4GHz and 5GHz hotspot. I don't believe that option was available before, but I never checked it in NC2.

Please post any info you have on undocumented changes from NC2 to NC4 and/or any personal experiences you've noticed between the two.

Thanks in Advance!

They forgot to mention a feature in 4.4.2

I haven't done any scientific tests, but NC4 certainly seems snappier and more responsive than the NC2 leak. Also, I had three specific issues with the (NC2) build and all seem to be resolved in NC4...at least so far. First, the modem was worse than the MJ7 or MJE versions, so I reverted to those. Second, the screen rotation would occasionally stop responding and get stuck in one mode or the other and only a reboot would fix it. And third, the auto brightness didn't work very well, if at all. So, I'm curious if any of those specific issues were addressed in the official NC4 release.

Thanks in Advance!

when you setup your hotspot, if you select advanced options, you can now choose between creating a 2.4GHz and 5GHz hotspot - nice
    I'm not sure if they will post a change log from NC2 -> NC4 but here I found this for NC4.. Pretty much says here is KitKat with updated bloatware...LOL

Update Features
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/support/pdf/system_update/galaxy-note-3-05-13-14.pdf

Update Instructions
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/support/pdf/system_update/galaxy-note-3-instructions-05-13-14.pdf
    Would you be able to point me in the right direction so I may purchase this adapter? I'm assuming you are not rooted and are running stock 4.4.2 on your VZW Note 3?

I am rooted, but using OTA 4.4.2 with nothing special added.

Look on samsung.com for this:

MHL 2.0 HDTV Smart Adapter - ET-H10FAUW

It's 39.99 on their site.

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk