[HTC TUT] Fix error "writing 'recovery'...FAILED (remote: not allowed)" in Fastboot

Search This thread

nuuits

Dec 31, 2011
[HTC TUT] Fix error "writing 'recovery'...FAILED (remote: not allowed)" in Fastboot

Hello all, I recently experienced a Fastboot error when I tried to flash the TWRP recovery for my device.
The error said,

Code:
writing 'recovery'...FAILED (remote: not allowed)

Today I will be showing you how I fixed that error.
First of all, you will need:
  • a fastboot firmware package for your device (which will be called firmware.zip for this tutorial).
  • your custom recovery of choice (which will be called customrecovery.img for this tutorial)
  • a Windows, Linux, or I *believe* Mac PC
  • Fastboot installed and working on said PC
  • knowledge of zipping/unzipping files and renaming files

Now, for the fun part!

PREPARING YOUR FILES
1. Create a new folder and name it something you will remember and recognize.
2. Open your firmware.zip. There should be a file called "android-info.txt", copy that and put it in the folder you just created.
3. Next, you will need to take your recovery. Rename it to "recovery.img" (all lowercase, btw), and put it in the folder with the android-info.txt.
4. Highlight the two files (android-info.txt and recovery.img) and zip them up as a .zip file. Name it whatever you'd like. For the purposes of this tutorial, I will be calling it "recov.zip"

FLASHING THE FILES
1. Put your device into Fastboot mode
2. Open cmd/terminal/etc. and cd to the folder with recov.zip.
3. in cmd/terminal, run the following command:
Code:
fastboot oem rebootRUU

4. now you should be on an HTC screen with "HTC" in pretty silver letters
5. run the following command:
Code:
fastboot flash zip recov.zip
(but with your zip name)

6. You should get a success message and you should be able to reboot in your custom recovery.

HAPPY FLASHING!
(if this tutorial helped you please thank this topic!)

brife

Nov 17, 2010
Worked For Me

Hello all, I recently experienced a Fastboot error when I tried to flash the TWRP recovery for my device.
The error said,

Code:

• a fastboot firmware package for your device (which will be called firmware.zip for this tutorial).
  • your custom recovery of choice (which will be called customrecovery.img for this tutorial)

Now, for the fun part!

PREPARING YOUR FILES
2. Open your firmware.zip. There should be a file called "android-info.txt", copy that and put it in the folder you just created.
3. Next, you will need to take your recovery. Rename it to "recovery.img" (all lowercase, btw), and put it in the folder with the android-info.txt.
4. Highlight the two files (android-info.txt and recovery.img) and zip them up as a .zip file. Name it whatever you'd like. For the purposes of this tutorial, I will be calling it "recov.zip"

FLASHING THE FILES
Code:
fastboot oem rebootRUU

Code:
(but with your zip name)

6. You should get a success message and you should be able to reboot in your custom recovery.

HAPPY FLASHING!

Thanks, this worked for me with HTC M8 updating TWRP

pablo7890

Oct 1, 2011
Hello,
You just saved me. I confirm it works. Actually, for me just entering "fastboot oem rebootRUU" did the trick, because here I could flash anything.

joebron

Aug 1, 2009
So...

I bought a new phone and bricked it. There are a whole range of issues, but unless I can get over "writing 'recovery'...FAILED (remote: not allowed)", I have no hope of even attempting to fix the others.

Thing is, I didn't back up (first time playing with Android - I thought I'd made a backup but I found out it was 0bytes and deleted it...) and it seems to be quite rare (HTC E8 MEC__TL) and nobody has uploaded much for this specific variant. When you say "your firmware.zip.", I don't think I have a way to get this.

If I buy another of this phone from the same seller, will I be able to extract the files to make your fix? Will this be effected by me having changed (or at least tried to change) the CID and MID?

Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The error said,

Code:

Now, for the fun part!

PREPARING YOUR FILES

FLASHING THE FILES
    Code:
    fastboot oem rebootRUU

Code:
    (but with your zip name)

HAPPY FLASHING!