Can't update to ICS.

Search This thread

jakob95

Sep 14, 2011
NYC
I am running Thors v96 ICS ROM right now, and had clockworkMOD recovery. So I decided I don't care about root or a locked bootloader. I already downloaded the leaked ICS ROM the official one with the locked bootloader and all. So I renamed it to update.zip and put it in my MicroSD root, but when I press power on and volume up I go to ClockworkMod automatically, and I heard that you shouldn't install the update from their as you might get SOD. So I installed the stock bootloader from the Acer Recovery Installer app. And now when I press power up and volume up all I get is an error message that looks like this !.

castafiore

Sep 13, 2010
It's not volume up but volume down, jakob95

Check through your PC (in properties of your compressed file) that the name of your leak is effectively 'update.zip' and not 'update.zip.zip'. That's an usual mistake that many people do.

jakob95

Sep 14, 2011
NYC
But it should update from Thor's v96 ICS Rom right? Will it be glitchy though if I update from a custom ROM?

rdnkchevy

Oct 26, 2011
Destin, Florida
I am running Thors v96 ICS ROM right now, and had clockworkMOD recovery. So I decided I don't care about root or a locked bootloader. I already downloaded the leaked ICS ROM the official one with the locked bootloader and all. So I renamed it to update.zip and put it in my MicroSD root, but when I press power on and volume up I go to ClockworkMod automatically, and I heard that you shouldn't install the update from their as you might get SOD. So I installed the stock bootloader from the Acer Recovery Installer app. And now when I press power up and volume up all I get is an error message that looks like this !.

You get the SOD from the unlocked boot loader.. you can install from CWM but you will get an error of some sort saying ant install recovery but when you reboot it will install the Acer recovery.. long story short you can use CWM and not get SOD.. that comes from modified boot that you will not have.

Sent from my A500 using xda premium

jakob95

Sep 14, 2011
NYC
You get the SOD from the unlocked boot loader.. you can install from CWM but you will get an error of some sort saying ant install recovery but when you reboot it will install the Acer recovery.. long story short you can use CWM and not get SOD.. that comes from modified boot that you will not have.

Sent from my A500 using xda premium

Yes but I don't want to redownload the whole thing all over again for the unlocked bootloader version. My internet is really slow. Anyways I hope someone can reply to my comment and help me out before.

jakob95

Sep 14, 2011
NYC
If I just install this one with CWM, and I get the SOD can I restore to my old ROM with my backup with CWM then?

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
No, you will have the locked bootloader... It will get rid of CWM and put Acer recovery back on there. You can't then use Acer recovery as you need root access and you can't get root access easily with the locked bootloader...
Locked bootloader=no CWM...

Seems like a lot of stuffing around to me when the actual OTA release should be soon... This is only a beta release....

Last edited:

cruise350

Dec 11, 2007
Memphis, TN
Just go into the development section and download flexreapers latest build. You won't be sorry and you will still have root.

himura05

Feb 23, 2011
I have successful to upgrade my iconia a500 with flexreaper ics rom 8beta2, and all working well except pes2012 and jelly defender don't work at all, and the camcorder still in 3gp format, not mp4 format like the last honeycomb 3.2 that's make me sad :(

blackthund3r

Feb 27, 2012
London

There is a solution to all of this. Update to the stock update zip in CWM, root using ICS Root then flash a patched bootloader, kernel and CWM. Final result: ICS 4.0.3 rooted with an unlocked bootloader, CWM and kernel with /system rw remount functionality & no SOD:
http://forum.tegraowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=350 for ICS Root tool and instructions
http://forum.tegraowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=369 for the bootloader unlock, CWM & custom kernel.

Ensure that when rooting you tick the option to remove the stock recovery reflash if you want CWM.

cheliminha

Aug 27, 2010
micro usb not work

Good afternoon, I have an acer Iconia A500 but the micro sd is defective, can I install ics 4.0 via usb pen?
thank you