[Q] Screen On or Off when HDMI Mirroring?

Search This thread

Wiltron

I'm planning to buy a AppRadio 3 headunit for my Jeep, and use the ARLiberator app to unlock it so it mirrors my Z1 on the in-dash screen (I'll provide a link to a YouTube video below for clarification). It mirrors it using an HDMI cable into the back of the headunit (full size HDMI).

This Sony HDMI Cable is what I plan to buy, and do what was stated above, however I've seen mixed reviews on something. The Phone is cradled directly beside the headunit. Does HDMI Mirroring (the basic function, not the ARLibereator app) keep the screen on at all times? Or if I hit the power button on my phone, will it keep mirroring to the "TV"?

The ARLiberator app downscales everything, and transfers touchscreen actions and what not via Bluetooth, and then uses the HDMI Mirroring to show me the screen, as well as charge the phone.

AppRadio 2 Demo (AppRadio 3 released after, more features, etc.)

Last edited:

Xecu

Jan 19, 2014
From my experience if you turn the screen off than you will see a black screen on your receiving device.
Note that this is my experience with miracast but I'm sure that hdmi will work the same way.

XxLordxX

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2011
Campinas
Hi,

With my experience with Nexus 10 and Xoom HDMI, the screen will be on until the screen timeout reaches, if you turn off the screen, HDMI will be black too. But there are some apps that can turn the screen black, but still on, like Screen Standby ;). That's a good idea man.

~Lord

"Time is too short to cry, long enough to try." - March of Time (Helloween)
Sent from my KitKat Nexus 10

Bumblecito

Oct 17, 2011
You can "turn off" yoir display using this app: Screen Standby ♯ Root (sorry I can't link it I'm newbie). Root permissions required