[Q] Can't access SD card

Search This thread

Blade3D

Apr 21, 2014
I have apps on the SD card that work, however in emulators I can't access the SD card or anywhere I have to go through the directories. Anyone have an idea how to get this working? Is it not formatted correctly?

LiveMChief

Feb 11, 2014
I have apps on the SD card that work, however in emulators I can't access the SD card or anywhere I have to go through the directories. Anyone have an idea how to get this working? Is it not formatted correctly?

No, everything is fine on your end.

You must be on android version 4.4.2, which block write access on the sd card, which means you can't put things on it with a file explorer or have apps write files to it(save files, random generated data, etc...)

You either have to downgrade to version 4.3 or root it and install sd card fix from here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...+play&pcampaignid=APPU_D-xVU4WjEYu0yATe3YGYBQ

Last edited:

hexitnow

Jun 19, 2013
Idaho
You can still write your sd card using a root explorer. Apps that store data on the sdcard can only write to their respective folders is what it is. I think hes talking about how the directories are different because of how mount points are in kitkat now

SPIDERTECH

Feb 21, 2008
Texas
Access to the SD card isn't blocked. Apps can only write to folders the app owns. Snes9x for example created a folder on the SD card. That is where you have to tell the app to save files to as it is the only folder it has write access to. I figured that out and have no problem saving files to the SD with any of my emulators.

Sent from my SHIELD using xda app-developers app

NapalmDawn

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh
I noticed this too on my shield. I was going to put some ISOs on my SD card for FPSE to use. When I was in FPSE's config, I was going to try and point it to the SD card but it would only allow me to work with the onboard memory. Would the SD card fix allow me to get this working? I really don't want to store ISOs on the onboard memory or just continually shuffle my active ISO to the internal memory when I want to play that game.

CDeviant

Oct 1, 2012
I noticed this too on my shield. I was going to put some ISOs on my SD card for FPSE to use. When I was in FPSE's config, I was going to try and point it to the SD card but it would only allow me to work with the onboard memory. Would the SD card fix allow me to get this working? I really don't want to store ISOs on the onboard memory or just continually shuffle my active ISO to the internal memory when I want to play that game.

Yes SDFix: KitKat Writable MicroSD will allow you to move things to the SD card. (write access) Just remember you need to be rooted to use the app.