Install Swype Beta on your RAZR!

Search This thread

runner1717

Sep 7, 2010
I love having Swype installed on my RAZR but I like the BETA version because they keep adding more and more cool features. The newest includes Dragon Dictate which really works great! It also now learns your writing style and improves it's predictions.

Problem is if you have Swype pre-installed on your phone you can't install the new BETA, until now.......

Here are the directions to remove your stock Swype and install the BETA:

** warning - changing the wrong files can brick your phone so be careful! **

First, your RAZR must be rooted.

Using Root Explorer:

1. Change your default input method to anything other than Swype.
2. Mount file system as R/W
3. Delete (or move/rename) \system\app\swype.apk
4. Delete (or move/rename) \data\dalvik-cache\system@app@Swype.apk@classes.dex
5. Delete (or move/rename) \system\lib\libSwypeCore.so
6. Reboot
7. Download and Run the latest Swype Beta installer

If you get FC's after installing Swype BETA then remove Swype and the Swype Installer under Manage Apps, re-boot and install the BETA again. Seems to be some stuff left over from the old version that can cause this problem.

Enjoy!

-runner1717

Reactions: Adauth and kevmosis

Icyhot1966

Oct 30, 2010
I love having Swype installed on my RAZR but I like the BETA version because they keep adding more and more cool features. The newest includes Dragon Dictate which really works great! It also now learns your writing style and improves it's predictions.

Problem is if you have Swype pre-installed on your phone you can't install the new BETA, until now.......

Using Root Explorer:

6. Reboot

If you get FC's after installing Swype BETA then remove Swype and the Swype Installer under Manage Apps, re-boot and install the BETA again. Seems to be some stuff left over from the old version that can cause this problem.

Enjoy!

-runner1717

I am getting the force closes, but under manage apps, I only see uninstall the Swype Installer. Where do I uninstall the actual Swype app from?

---------- Post added at 03:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 AM ----------

I guess another question I have is what's the difference between this and the FlexT9 keyboard. It has Swype and Dragon Diction by Nuance built in, correct?

Godswrath

Dec 30, 2011
I am getting the force closes, but under manage apps, I only see uninstall the Swype Installer. Where do I uninstall the actual Swype app from?

---------- Post added at 03:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 AM ----------

I guess another question I have is what's the difference between this and the FlexT9 keyboard. It has Swype and Dragon Diction by Nuance built in, correct?

Did you ever figure out how to uninstall it? I'm stuck at the same place,ie FC's after following the installation steps

EDIT: Do anyone having the same issue...

FIX: Move or Delete the 3 files (Renaming did NOT work for me- caused FCs)

Last edited:

drolgnir

Mar 26, 2011
Kingston
I did this previous to this post and I just removed the swype apk in system\app and com.swype??.inputmethod stuff in data, didnt touch dalvik cache or the lib.so stuff. I think if you change you keyboard method away from swype and delete the apk(in system\app and if its in data\app too", clear the swype data and even dalvik perhaps, then install the new swype.

All manually of course with es explorer or capable root file explorer.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Using Root Explorer:

6. Reboot

Enjoy!

-runner1717