Rooting your Motorolla Droid running 2.2.1 write-up

Search This thread

Ben's

Nov 24, 2010
Oregon
The OTA 2.2.1 update made things complicated for Droid users who want to root and download non market apps. After several days, countless hours and trial and error, this is my little write up on how I rooted a Motorolla Droid running 2.2.1 Build # FRG83D.

z4root no longer works and neither does the ability to download non market apps with 2.2.1. This is the easiest way to do it although there are other longer processes to root your phone which may have not been used on a 2.2.1 Moto Droid. I did a factory reset before I started but that is optional, let's begin.

*** Disclaimer ***
Please make a Nandroid or backup before this just incase.

1. Go to Motorolla's site and downloaded the Motorola 4.8.0 Driver with MotoConnect here. This program automatically downloads the driver your computer needs. This is a MUST. Lots of websites’ and write-ups forget or are vague on this easy step and it makes for a headache. Once downloaded, click on “Update Drivers” and click start. (You can download the driver file and wait for your Hardware Manager to pop up and go that route or just take the easy way and do this)

2. Download the latest version of Superoneclick and follow its directions on how to install it, you can find it here.

3. Connect your phone with your PC via USB. Make sure that USB debugging is ON. I removed my SD card to be on the safe side but if you choose not to, make sure you do not mount the SD card.

4. Open the Superoneclick program after un-zipping it, in Administrator mode. Follow the directions, there is even a video on how to do it. After your phone is rooted, click on " Allow non market apps ". Superuser should now be installed on your phone in your app's list.

*** The newest version of Superoneclick install BusyBox along with Superuser. Open your app drawer and look for these two. If both are there, you are done! If not, continue to step #5. ***

5. Disconnect your phone from your computer and restart your phone. It's not needed but, it's best to start with a fresh restart.

6. Go into your market from your phone, download Busybox ( free app ) and run it. Once installed, make sure within the app it states that your phone is rooted and the latest version of Busybox is displayed.

7. Restart your phone, this step is a must.

Your phone now has root access. You can download non market apps as well. I use Titanium Backup to remove bloat and such but you can use your favorite file manager.

Why the OTA 2.2.1 made things disfunctional, I don't know but this is my little solution and hope it helps.

Last edited:

Ben's

Nov 24, 2010
Oregon
I am going to give this a nice healthy bump since I have seen a couple Root confusion threads. I will be more then happy to answer any questions.

Reactions: skandranon314

Ben's

Nov 24, 2010
Oregon
Not a problem! I actually find that a stock ROMed, rooted and cleaned up Droid 1 is just as quick as the ROMs available to download if not quicker. :)

DroidFellow

Feb 16, 2011
Thanks!

Hi,
Wanted to say thanks! Your write up was concise, straightforward and easy to understand... The app worked just like it said it would and rooted my Droid (the original) 2.2.1 FRG83D like a charm!

The Tutorial was a god send as that clarified what to expect and how to react if something went "brown & lumpy".

Thanks and now off to make a backup before learning the other fun stuff!

indie1138

Jul 28, 2010
Tried this, downloaded the driver PC sees the phone, check
DL and run superone click, Check
no busybox, download and install, says rooted, check

here's the problem, can't get into recovery can't do a nand before or after rooting. seems recovery can't see the sdcrad.

I tried to root my Droid 1 (2.2.1 FR83d) with super one click. Everything seemed to work. I got super user access, TI backup runs (mostly)

From Rom manager I installed Clockwork it said everything work but no recovery mode access (yellow triangle) After reading up here it was suggested to flash SPrecovery and then back to clockwork so I did that bot SP and clock work appeared to run fine but still no recovery mode.

Setcpu seems to be working superuser is working but I cannot make a backup of the phone (nand, ROM manager recovery both fail) TI can't uninstall factory apps, and dose not make a complete backup just apps and restores dose not do a complete restore.

It seems I have half a rooted phone. Any ideas on how to fix this?

A2Aegis

Feb 17, 2011
Just rooted my OG Droid. Thanks for the guide!

Edit: Just noticed that BusyBox didn't install with SuperOneClick, and that it is failing to install with the BusyBox installer app.

Edit: Okay, BusyBox installed. Backup created, ready for some ROMs!

Last edited:

Ben's

Nov 24, 2010
Oregon
Just rooted my OG Droid. Thanks for the guide!

Edit: Just noticed that BusyBox didn't install with SuperOneClick, and that it is failing to install with the BusyBox installer app.

Edit: Okay, BusyBox installed. Backup created, ready for some ROMs!

The new version of superoneclick should install busy box if not get busybox from the market.

How did you get busy box to finally install? What solved the problem?

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

Last edited:

A2Aegis

Feb 17, 2011
The new version of superoneclick should install busy box if not get busybox from the market.

How did you get busy box to finally install? What solved the problem?

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

For some reason my SU settings didn't pop up, and that caused the install to fail. The 2nd time around, it asked me for permission and it worked.

Jul 27, 2010
K I need help please. I used the rs4 lite guide to root the wife's phone ,that was successful, installed rom manager and did the clock mod flash now I can't get recovery,none , I installed busy box and still nothing lol, help I was gonna put cyan 7 on

Jul 27, 2010
I figured it out lol, just had to search the forums a bit more , running cyanogen 7 and is a sweet rom . Sry for being a noob . Thanks to all who came up the Rome and cracks y'all rock:D

xxxsupastar

Feb 20, 2011
Great walk through. Some of you might need another driver (ADB) for XP. They won't let me post the link but it's at Alldroid.

psychoderik

Feb 16, 2011
Thank you very much for the post, helped me a lot for my rooting Droid / Roi as it is Verizon but I have with Iusacell in Mexico

Quicksand Jesus

Feb 2, 2009
My computer says your superoneclick is infected with a virus. Bummer for all the peeps that downloaded it already.......

micl9

Feb 27, 2011
NC
Hey All,
This is going to be somewhat on and off topic.
I have jumped into the world of Android with both feet in the last few weeks.
So far I have obtained:
A Color nook which I have rooted using autonooter 3.0.0 running stock OS and also run Honeycomb off my SD card (until the real version comes out)
A Moto Backflip which I have rooted using rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin and is now running Unofficial CyanogenMod v6.1.2 (Froyo 2.2.1)

And Now I just bought a Droid with a dead battery, 16GB SDcard and a bad micro USB port for $25! (figured at $25 for a 16GB card it was worth the risk) I was able to "jump start" the battery and got it to power on. Its currently running 2.2.1 with build number FRG83D and is not rooted. Looks like the digitizer has a dead swath right down the middle.:mad:
Anyway, I can fix both things for <$30, so at $55 I still think I got a deal. Not too mention the fun of repairing and hacking it! :D

So my question:
I plan to use it for a little while before spending $$$ and making the repairs. But w/o a USB connector it does not seem that I can root my version.
Do I have any other options? keep in mind the current lack of ability to push things with ADB.

azshorty2003

Mar 7, 2011
Hey All,
So far I have obtained:
A Color nook which I have rooted using autonooter 3.0.0 running stock OS and also run Honeycomb off my SD card (until the real version comes out)
A Moto Backflip which I have rooted using rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin and is now running Unofficial CyanogenMod v6.1.2 (Froyo 2.2.1)

And Now I just bought a Droid with a dead battery, 16GB SDcard and a bad micro USB port for $25! (figured at $25 for a 16GB card it was worth the risk) I was able to "jump start" the battery and got it to power on. Its currently running 2.2.1 with build number FRG83D and is not rooted. Looks like the digitizer has a dead swath right down the middle.:mad:
Anyway, I can fix both things for <$30, so at $55 I still think I got a deal. Not too mention the fun of repairing and hacking it! :D

So my question:
I plan to use it for a little while before spending $$$ and making the repairs. But w/o a USB connector it does not seem that I can root my version.
Do I have any other options? keep in mind the current lack of ability to push things with ADB.

have you tried adb wireless from the marketplace? i got a nook color recently too and had a hell of a time with adb through usb, but adb wirless seems to work great.

Reactions: micl9

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The OTA 2.2.1 update made things complicated for Droid users who want to root and download non market apps. After several days, countless hours and trial and error, this is my little write up on how I rooted a Motorolla Droid running 2.2.1 Build # FRG83D.

z4root no longer works and neither does the ability to download non market apps with 2.2.1. This is the easiest way to do it although there are other longer processes to root your phone which may have not been used on a 2.2.1 Moto Droid. I did a factory reset before I started but that is optional, let's begin.

*** Disclaimer ***
    Please make a Nandroid or backup before this just incase.

1. Go to Motorolla's site and downloaded the Motorola 4.8.0 Driver with MotoConnect here. This program automatically downloads the driver your computer needs. This is a MUST. Lots of websites’ and write-ups forget or are vague on this easy step and it makes for a headache. Once downloaded, click on “Update Drivers” and click start. (You can download the driver file and wait for your Hardware Manager to pop up and go that route or just take the easy way and do this)

2. Download the latest version of Superoneclick and follow its directions on how to install it, you can find it here.

3. Connect your phone with your PC via USB. Make sure that USB debugging is ON. I removed my SD card to be on the safe side but if you choose not to, make sure you do not mount the SD card.

4. Open the Superoneclick program after un-zipping it, in Administrator mode. Follow the directions, there is even a video on how to do it. After your phone is rooted, click on " Allow non market apps ". Superuser should now be installed on your phone in your app's list.

*** The newest version of Superoneclick install BusyBox along with Superuser. Open your app drawer and look for these two. If both are there, you are done! If not, continue to step #5. ***

5. Disconnect your phone from your computer and restart your phone. It's not needed but, it's best to start with a fresh restart.

6. Go into your market from your phone, download Busybox ( free app ) and run it. Once installed, make sure within the app it states that your phone is rooted and the latest version of Busybox is displayed.

7. Restart your phone, this step is a must.

Your phone now has root access. You can download non market apps as well. I use Titanium Backup to remove bloat and such but you can use your favorite file manager.

Why the OTA 2.2.1 made things disfunctional, I don't know but this is my little solution and hope it helps.
    I am going to give this a nice healthy bump since I have seen a couple Root confusion threads. I will be more then happy to answer any questions.
    Hey All,
    So far I have obtained:

So my question:

have you tried adb wireless from the marketplace? i got a nook color recently too and had a hell of a time with adb through usb, but adb wirless seems to work great.