[Q] Kindle Fire HD 7" Freezes on Fastboot logo

Search This thread

mharlan95

Feb 20, 2013
In trying to install a custom bootloader on my Kindle Fire HD 7", I bricked it. When trying to start it normally, it shows "kindle fire" for a few seconds, but then the screen goes black and it becomes totally unresponsive. When I tried booting it with a factory cable, it shows "kindle fire" for a few seconds, and then switches to the "fastboot" logo, but again it is unresponsive. In both cases, my kindle is never found by adb or fastboot or any other utility when connected to my computer. I'm fairly certain this not a driver problem, because my kindle was recognized before, which is how I rooted my kindle. Is there anything else I can try to unbrick my kindle? The main problem is that it is never recognized by my computer. Now what?

AmrBanawan

Nov 26, 2012
Alexandria
Go into fastboot mode and type this in command prompt wherever you have fastboot.exe and adb.exe (To do that just go to that folder, shift+right click anywhere and select open command window here).

Post the output

Code:
fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product

and idk if you know this but...if you get your kindle into fastboot mode... all you see is the logo nothing more, and everything else is done through command prompt in windows, So assuming you already know that, what made you think it is unresponsive?

Last edited:

mharlan95

Feb 20, 2013
Go into fastboot mode and type this in command prompt wherever you have fastboot.exe and adb.exe (To do that just go to that folder, shift+right click anywhere and select open command window here).

Post the output

Code:
fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product

and idk if you know this but...if you get your kindle into fastboot mode... all you see is the logo nothing more, and everything else is done through command prompt in windows, So assuming you already know that, what made you think it is unresponsive?

The issue is that my kindle is not "discovered", "recognized", or whatever you want to call it by my computer. It has before, because I was able to root my kindle earlier, so I'm fairly certain that it isn't a driver problem, which is the usual response I've found. None of the fastboot commands work because my kindle can't be found.

lacoursiere18

Jan 9, 2013
LbTs
The issue is that my kindle is not "discovered", "recognized", or whatever you want to call it by my computer. It has before, because I was able to root my kindle earlier, so I'm fairly certain that it isn't a driver problem, which is the usual response I've found. None of the fastboot commands work because my kindle can't be found.

Hmmm.. Thats weird what did you exactly do? I would try to reinstall the drivers. When you go into device manager do you see it there when it is plugged in? I had the same problem but my micro usb ports where fried in the Kindle bc I had a faulty fastboot cable.. Let us know if you see it in device manager..

mharlan95

Feb 20, 2013
Alright, so it was a driver problem. I ended up removing all drivers and sdk stuff, and then reinstalled and reloaded everything, which enabled fastboot to discover my device when using a factory cable. Problem solved. I found you just have to be careful when setting up sdk, and do every single step as listed on https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/setup.html.

oliverisboss

Jan 27, 2014
frozen

In trying to install a custom bootloader on my Kindle Fire HD 7", I bricked it. When trying to start it normally, it shows "kindle fire" for a few seconds, but then the screen goes black and it becomes totally unresponsive. When I tried booting it with a factory cable, it shows "kindle fire" for a few seconds, and then switches to the "fastboot" logo, but again it is unresponsive. In both cases, my kindle is never found by adb or fastboot or any other utility when connected to my computer. I'm fairly certain this not a driver problem, because my kindle was recognized before, which is how I rooted my kindle. Is there anything else I can try to unbrick my kindle? The main problem is that it is never recognized by my computer. Now what?

I have the exact same problem but found an unusual solution. after 2 months of pain and toil i did something that saved me. When your kindle is frosen on the logo with no animation, you have to restart your computer with your kindle plugged in. I restarted and boom my kindle restarted a few times and booted up. It did not work when i plugged it into usb 3.0 ports, but the usb 2.0 was fine. I just restarted with the kindle plugged in, and it unbricked.
Hope this helps :)

davethebrave14

Feb 13, 2014
I have the exact same problem but found an unusual solution. after 2 months of pain and toil i did something that saved me. When your kindle is frosen on the logo with no animation, you have to restart your computer with your kindle plugged in. I restarted and boom my kindle restarted a few times and booted up. It did not work when i plugged it into usb 3.0 ports, but the usb 2.0 was fine. I just restarted with the kindle plugged in, and it unbricked.
Hope this helps :)

Did you hapen to have a facory cable plugged in at the time? and was it the 2013 model?