[FAQ] Frequently Asked Questions For Moto E [UPDATED-05/10/14]

Search This thread

Lucas Eugene

Frequently Asked Questions
Motorola Moto E

de0cuo.png

Hello Guys this is a FAQ for Moto E. Please read this here before posting it in the developmental section or creating a thread anywhere.
I am sure it will help.

Thank You

A big thanks goes to @matmutant for providing FAQ templates and his own FAQ from I have copied some things.Here is the original guide

Last edited:

Lucas Eugene

[SIZE=+1]Q1: How to access Fastboot?[/SIZE]
Hold PowerButton and VolDown during boot.

[SIZE=+1]Q2: How to unlock Bootloader?[/SIZE]
Boot to Fastboot and

[SIZE=+1]Q2: How to relock Bootloader?[/SIZE]
Boot to Fastboot and give the command "fastboot oem lock"

[SIZE=+1]Q3: How do i get adb and fastboot drivers ?[/SIZE]
For windows, follow this guide or this one
although, it seems Motorola Device Manager works ok for win7x86-32 (but not for win7x64-64?) i cannot answer this i'm under linux
other USB drivers if first method failed, source
For Linux, get fastboot files here also, adb and fastboot can be installed using repos for ubuntu-based distros packages needed are : android-tools-adb and android-tools-fastboot (android-tools-fsutils may be useful too)
eg:
Code:
sudo apt-get install android-tools-fastboot

[SIZE=+1]Q4: How to flash Stock Firmware?[/SIZE]
Please Follow My Guidehere.​

[SIZE=+1]Q5: How to Root my device ?[/SIZE]
First you'll need to unlock your bootloader,
then follow this guide

OR this guide(User Friendly)

[SIZE=+1]Q6: Where can i find a Custom recovery ?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Q7: How to access bootloader?[/SIZE]
- Via ADB :
Code:
adb reboot bootloader

- The hard(ware) way :
  1. With the phone powered off, press the VOL DOWN KEY for 2-3 seconds then POWER key then release.
  2. The device will display different BOOT OPTIONS
  3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to select

[SIZE=+1]Q8: How to access recovery?[/SIZE]
  1. using terminal, if the device is already rooted
    Code:
    su
    reboot recovery
  2. via adb
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
  3. via bootloader
    boot to bootloader (see Q11) and select recovery (use Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to select)

[SIZE=+1]Q9: How to force reboot my frozen device?[/SIZE]

• Press and hold the Power button for 10 - 20 seconds, the device will restart and go through the boot-up sequence [source]
  • (VOL DOWN hold + a quick tap on POWER should force reboot when in bootloader) [source]

[SIZE=+1]Q10: How to charge my device and extend battery life?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Q11: Does rooting/unlocking your phone invalidate its warranty? (In EU)[/SIZE]
In short: No. Just the fact that you modified or changed the software of your device, is not a sufficient reason to void your statutory warranty. As long as you have bought the device as a consumer in the European Union.

For Indian customers, The warranty is void if you unlock/root your device. Motorola also reserves the right to maintain the records of unlocked bootloader devices. So you may not even get the warranty by relocking the device
[source]​

[SIZE=+1]Q12: What to do if my battery is fully discharged and not re-charging?[/SIZE]
[source]​

[SIZE=+1]Q13: Lost IMEI ? : How to backup / restore PDS partition and why?[/SIZE]
On Motorola devices the 'pds' partition contains information specific to your machine: IMEI, MAC address, serial number, etc. This partition can be lost by accidental format or over time due to filesystem corruption. If you have made a backup, there is a good chance you can bring your handset back to life.

==> PDS backup will help to restore lost IMEI. It is a situation when the phone reports that the IMEI is unknown. ; This works like a vaccine, apply before having issue with IMEI, after it will be too late !

Instructions:
**Root Required**

Using ADB you can make a copy of the partition and move it to a safe place (Google Drive?):
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/pds of=/sdcard/pds.img​

To restore in the event of corruption or loss:
adb shell
su
dd if=/sdcard/pds.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/pds​
(assuming you've pushed pds.img to internal SDcard storage first)

If for some reason this doesn't work, maybe your IMEI isn't destroyed but only not "readable" by system (file system issue? misread cluster reading frame ? no idea), in that case you may read the following story : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52648789

[SIZE=+1]Q14: How to disable/enable auto On/Off screen with Flip Shell?[/SIZE]

• for stock rom : (disabling, since it's enabled by default)

Follow this FAQ

[SIZE=+1]Q15: How to remove the 'unlocked warning' message?[/SIZE]
Follow @cschmitt method and default Motorola logo will be back :).​

[SIZE=+1]Q16: How to reboot into 'safe mode'?[/SIZE]

Press power button, on the pop up, either keep pressing 'shut down' [stock] or 'reboot' [AOSP based]
more infos about this feature

[SIZE=+1]Q17: What are the Moto E tech specs[/SIZE]

• XT1021 (Single Sim)
  • XT1022 (Dual Sim)
  • XT1025 (Dual Sim With TV Digital)

[SIZE=+1]Q18: How to get OTA updates even after Rooting and Flashing a custom Recovery[/SIZE]

• Use the full unroot option from the Super Su
  • Flash the stock recovery Use Code : mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
  • Now you'll be able to get OTA updates as before
[SIZE=+1]Q19: How to Unlock Advanced Camera Settings?[/SIZE]

Refer to this thread

Last edited:

Lucas Eugene

some usefull lines of commands for any user wanting to know what's going on:

requirements :
  • On Windows : install Moto E drivers and
  • On Linux : set your rules following that guide (3. Set up your system to detect your device.) : add to /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules the following code
    Code:
    #motoe normal mode
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="22b8", ATTR{idProduct}==”2e82″, MODE="0666"
    #motoe debug mode
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="22b8", ATTR{idProduct}==”2e76″, MODE="0666"
    #motoe fastboot mode
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="22b8", ATTR{idProduct}==”2e80″, MODE="0666"
    For specific access by one group of users, add GROUP="[groupname]"

Let's start ! :
  • in terminal, just type the lines,
  • in ADB, add "adb" before the commands
  • if you want not to display the output in terminal, specify the path :
    Code:
    command > /where_you_want_your_output_to_be_stored/name_you_want_for_the_log

to know if KSM is really turned on : KSM means Kernel Samepage Merging, may not exist on Moto E stock or custom roms
Code:
cat /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run

to know what modules are running :
Code:
lsmod

install an app from terminal :
Code:
pm install /sdcard/app1.apk
from adb :
Code:
adb install /home/user/app1.apk
(if your .apk is located there :p)

your kernel crashed?
Code:
cat /proc/last_kmsg
ex : from adb, and stored in /home/user/last_kmsg1
Code:
adb cat /proc/last_kmsg > /home/user/last_kmsg1

an app crashed, you want to know why?
Code:
logcat
ex : from adb and stored in /home/user/myfirstlogever
Code:
adb logcat > /home/user/myfirstlogever

don't have an USB cable ?or adb "other the air" :
connect to your home wifi network (both device and pc)
in settings/dev options/ enable adb on TCP/IP
Code:
adb connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5555
(the IP is the one displayed in the option you choose previously :)
and then, since it is connected, catch the log :
Code:

All commands and syntax used for ADB can be found here

Last edited:

neo.ank

Apr 28, 2011
Like to add an input regarding Q11

For Indian customers, The warranty is void if you unlock/root your device. Maybe OP can add this too.

TacTieTee

Sep 28, 2012
Mumbai
Hello guys

I switched to moto e from a phone which had a pretty versatile memory system in which i could transfer apps to sd card and use link2sd to partition sd card and use it as internal memory.

in moto e moving the preinstalled apps like maps and music and chrome etc through link2sd causes them to FC.

apart from that i cannot move my whatsapp data to SD card even if i transfer the actual app to sd card partition through link2sd. also, apps do not catch their data from the sd card. everything should be on the internal memory to work and that forces me to not install apps. my whatsapp has important databases which cannot be deleted and they take up 700+MB of internal SD space which cannot be freed to the ext SD since whatsapp doesnt restore from ext card. what to do???

neo.ank

Apr 28, 2011
Hello guys

I switched to moto e from a phone which had a pretty versatile memory system in which i could transfer apps to sd card and use link2sd to partition sd card and use it as internal memory.

in moto e moving the preinstalled apps like maps and music and chrome etc through link2sd causes them to FC.

apart from that i cannot move my whatsapp data to SD card even if i transfer the actual app to sd card partition through link2sd. also, apps do not catch their data from the sd card. everything should be on the internal memory to work and that forces me to not install apps. my whatsapp has important databases which cannot be deleted and they take up 700+MB of internal SD space which cannot be freed to the ext SD since whatsapp doesnt restore from ext card. what to do???
Thats how KK is designed. App should store their data on internal memory. Sdcard is treated as another partition. Apparently,this is so that on uninstall there's no residual data.
To change that, you need root.

Sent from my XT1022 using Tapatalk

TacTieTee

Sep 28, 2012
Mumbai
Thats how KK is designed. App should store their data on internal memory. Sdcard is treated as another partition. Apparently,this is so that on uninstall there's no residual data.
To change that, you need root.

There are confirmed rooting methods here and here!

my device is already rooted guys. trying to keep data in ext but app does not recognise tht data. for example my whatsapp - it only recognises data on internal. and it takes up anywhere between 1 GB to 1.5 GB...even if i mnage to shiftthe app to the ntfs partition through link2sd which i already have, i cant keep the data in ext since itdoesnt recognise

neo.ank

Apr 28, 2011
my device is already rooted guys. trying to keep data in ext but app does not recognise tht data. for example my whatsapp - it only recognises data on internal. and it takes up anywhere between 1 GB to 1.5 GB...even if i mnage to shiftthe app to the ntfs partition through link2sd which i already have, i cant keep the data in ext since itdoesnt recognise

That needs modification at system level. As I said it is in the design of the OS.

Best bet for now is to wait for Custom ROMs.

deej_roamer

Mar 19, 2014

Why was i quoted in this reply?

TacTieTee

Sep 28, 2012
Mumbai
Sorry I thought u were guiding me to root guides since the poster above yours told me to have my come rooted.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+1]Q1: How to access Fastboot?[/SIZE]
    Hold PowerButton and VolDown during boot.

[SIZE=+1]Q2: How to unlock Bootloader?[/SIZE]
    Boot to Fastboot and

[SIZE=+1]Q2: How to relock Bootloader?[/SIZE]
    Boot to Fastboot and give the command "fastboot oem lock"

[SIZE=+1]Q3: How do i get adb and fastboot drivers ?[/SIZE]
    For windows, follow this guide or this one
    although, it seems Motorola Device Manager works ok for win7x86-32 (but not for win7x64-64?) i cannot answer this i'm under linux
    other USB drivers if first method failed, source
    For Linux, get fastboot files here also, adb and fastboot can be installed using repos for ubuntu-based distros packages needed are : android-tools-adb and android-tools-fastboot (android-tools-fsutils may be useful too)
    eg:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install android-tools-fastboot

[SIZE=+1]Q4: How to flash Stock Firmware?[/SIZE]
    Please Follow My Guidehere.​

[SIZE=+1]Q5: How to Root my device ?[/SIZE]
    First you'll need to unlock your bootloader,
    then follow this guide

OR this guide(User Friendly)

[SIZE=+1]Q6: Where can i find a Custom recovery ?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Q7: How to access bootloader?[/SIZE]
    - Via ADB :
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

- The hard(ware) way :
    1. With the phone powered off, press the VOL DOWN KEY for 2-3 seconds then POWER key then release.
    2. The device will display different BOOT OPTIONS
    3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to select

[SIZE=+1]Q8: How to access recovery?[/SIZE]
    1. using terminal, if the device is already rooted
      Code:
      su
      reboot recovery
    2. via adb
      Code:
      adb reboot recovery
    3. via bootloader
      boot to bootloader (see Q11) and select recovery (use Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to select)

[SIZE=+1]Q9: How to force reboot my frozen device?[/SIZE]

• Press and hold the Power button for 10 - 20 seconds, the device will restart and go through the boot-up sequence [source]
    • (VOL DOWN hold + a quick tap on POWER should force reboot when in bootloader) [source]

[SIZE=+1]Q10: How to charge my device and extend battery life?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Q11: Does rooting/unlocking your phone invalidate its warranty? (In EU)[/SIZE]
    In short: No. Just the fact that you modified or changed the software of your device, is not a sufficient reason to void your statutory warranty. As long as you have bought the device as a consumer in the European Union.

For Indian customers, The warranty is void if you unlock/root your device. Motorola also reserves the right to maintain the records of unlocked bootloader devices. So you may not even get the warranty by relocking the device
    [source]​

[SIZE=+1]Q12: What to do if my battery is fully discharged and not re-charging?[/SIZE]
    [source]​

[SIZE=+1]Q13: Lost IMEI ? : How to backup / restore PDS partition and why?[/SIZE]
    On Motorola devices the 'pds' partition contains information specific to your machine: IMEI, MAC address, serial number, etc. This partition can be lost by accidental format or over time due to filesystem corruption. If you have made a backup, there is a good chance you can bring your handset back to life.

==> PDS backup will help to restore lost IMEI. It is a situation when the phone reports that the IMEI is unknown. ; This works like a vaccine, apply before having issue with IMEI, after it will be too late !

Instructions:
    **Root Required**

Using ADB you can make a copy of the partition and move it to a safe place (Google Drive?):
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/pds of=/sdcard/pds.img​

To restore in the event of corruption or loss:
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/sdcard/pds.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/pds​
    (assuming you've pushed pds.img to internal SDcard storage first)

If for some reason this doesn't work, maybe your IMEI isn't destroyed but only not "readable" by system (file system issue? misread cluster reading frame ? no idea), in that case you may read the following story : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52648789

[SIZE=+1]Q14: How to disable/enable auto On/Off screen with Flip Shell?[/SIZE]

• for stock rom : (disabling, since it's enabled by default)

Follow this FAQ

[SIZE=+1]Q15: How to remove the 'unlocked warning' message?[/SIZE]
    Follow @cschmitt method and default Motorola logo will be back :).​

[SIZE=+1]Q16: How to reboot into 'safe mode'?[/SIZE]

Press power button, on the pop up, either keep pressing 'shut down' [stock] or 'reboot' [AOSP based]
    more infos about this feature

[SIZE=+1]Q17: What are the Moto E tech specs[/SIZE]

• XT1021 (Single Sim)
    • XT1022 (Dual Sim)
    • XT1025 (Dual Sim With TV Digital)

[SIZE=+1]Q18: How to get OTA updates even after Rooting and Flashing a custom Recovery[/SIZE]

• Use the full unroot option from the Super Su
    • Flash the stock recovery Use Code : mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    • Now you'll be able to get OTA updates as before
    [SIZE=+1]Q19: How to Unlock Advanced Camera Settings?[/SIZE]

Refer to this thread
    Frequently Asked Questions
    Motorola Moto E

de0cuo.png

Hello Guys this is a FAQ for Moto E. Please read this here before posting it in the developmental section or creating a thread anywhere.
    I am sure it will help.

Thank You

A big thanks goes to @matmutant for providing FAQ templates and his own FAQ from I have copied some things.Here is the original guide
    some usefull lines of commands for any user wanting to know what's going on:

requirements :
    • On Windows : install Moto E drivers and
    • On Linux : set your rules following that guide (3. Set up your system to detect your device.) : add to /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules the following code
      Code:
      #motoe normal mode
      SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="22b8", ATTR{idProduct}==”2e82″, MODE="0666"
      #motoe debug mode
      SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="22b8", ATTR{idProduct}==”2e76″, MODE="0666"
      #motoe fastboot mode
      SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="22b8", ATTR{idProduct}==”2e80″, MODE="0666"
      For specific access by one group of users, add GROUP="[groupname]"

Let's start ! :
    • in terminal, just type the lines,
    • in ADB, add "adb" before the commands
    • if you want not to display the output in terminal, specify the path :
      Code:
      command > /where_you_want_your_output_to_be_stored/name_you_want_for_the_log

to know if KSM is really turned on : KSM means Kernel Samepage Merging, may not exist on Moto E stock or custom roms
    Code:
    cat /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run

to know what modules are running :
    Code:
    lsmod

install an app from terminal :
    Code:
    pm install /sdcard/app1.apk
    from adb :
    Code:
    adb install /home/user/app1.apk
    (if your .apk is located there :p)

your kernel crashed?
    Code:
    cat /proc/last_kmsg
    ex : from adb, and stored in /home/user/last_kmsg1
    Code:
    adb cat /proc/last_kmsg > /home/user/last_kmsg1

an app crashed, you want to know why?
    Code:
    logcat
    ex : from adb and stored in /home/user/myfirstlogever
    Code:

don't have an USB cable ?or adb "other the air" :
    connect to your home wifi network (both device and pc)
    in settings/dev options/ enable adb on TCP/IP
    Code:
    adb connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5555
    (the IP is the one displayed in the option you choose previously :)
    and then, since it is connected, catch the log :
    Code:

All commands and syntax used for ADB can be found here
    Thank you @FalconG, got a Moto E (XT1022-Condor) fullly unlocked/rooted and Xposed thanks to your FAQ ;)
    Haha sir thanks for letting me do this. It's always a pleasure to lessen the burden of great guys like you [emoji3]
    My moto E2(XT1521 surnia) is stuck on bootloader. Bootloader logs say that failed to validate recovery image. I am in stock firmware and also not rooted. Do not have any recovery (Cwm,twrp) installed. Please help.........
    same case