[Q] Advice on upgrade from 4.2 (ME7) to 4.4?

Search This thread

aron7676

Oct 23, 2013
I have been reading around here a few hours, but I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for, So I thought I'd ask.

Here is what I have:
Safestrap version:3.65
Baseband Version: I545VRUAME
Kernel: 3.4.0-690088
Build Number: JDQ39.I545VUAME7
Rooted Stock Rom running 4.2.2

I am looking to update to 4.4.x, and be rooted.
Preferable to have CM, but not necessary.
Do need root, for a few of the tweaks/apps I use every day.

I have seen that there are odin files to upgrade to 4.4.3 directly, but it seems cloudy whether or not it can actually be rooted after that.

I like the way safe strap has rom slots, but due to the large size of the roms, I could really only use one at a time any way. (what I am saying is that SS isn't necessary, just what I already know.)

Thank you, so much in advance.

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur
I have been reading around here a few hours, but I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for, So I thought I'd ask.

Here is what I have:
Safestrap version:3.65
Baseband Version: I545VRUAME
Kernel: 3.4.0-690088
Build Number: JDQ39.I545VUAME7
Rooted Stock Rom running 4.2.2

I am looking to update to 4.4.x, and be rooted.
Preferable to have CM, but not necessary.
Do need root, for a few of the tweaks/apps I use every day.

I have seen that there are odin files to upgrade to 4.4.3 directly, but it seems cloudy whether or not it can actually be rooted after that.

I like the way safe strap has rom slots, but due to the large size of the roms, I could really only use one at a time any way. (what I am saying is that SS isn't necessary, just what I already know.)

Thank you, so much in advance.

You need to read the stickie in the general forum before you brick your phone... Not sure how you missed it.

sent via safestrap 3.72 and echo v25.1! !

aron7676

Oct 23, 2013
Well I followed the instructions in this post (which was stickied) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2720163
and now all I am getting is "System software not authorized by Verizon Wireless has been found on your phone. Please turn off your phone and go to the nearest Verizon Wireless store for help. "

Tried rebooting into download mode, and into recovery, neither would come up.

Anyone have some advice?

I would post in the forum I linked but I dont have enough posts under my belt to post in that category.

Oh, and in the top left side of the screen in red letters I see Secure Fail: kernel

Aaron

Reactions: Capaints

aron7676

Oct 23, 2013
Got back into download mode.

Trying to flash I545VRUFNC5-AIO-incl-modem-hlos-nobootloaders-gogolie.tar again in the AP slot in odin.

aron7676

Oct 23, 2013
Failed again.
Same Results as listed above.
now downloading the "The Complete Package - Absolutely everything you'll need in one .rar file."

Capaints

Jun 22, 2012
Riverside
Help upgrading from ME7 to NC5

I have the same problem as Aaron, Want to get to Rooted NC5

Can anyone let me to right post, Info etc........

I have been looking now for 3 Days :eek: Brick my phone 3 times :crying:

Thanks

bamige1

Jun 28, 2013
To root on nc5, Google towelroot and install it. Open the app and just click make it rain to root

Capaints

Jun 22, 2012
Riverside
I need to Get to NC5, I'm Stuck on ME7..... I could take the OTA update, is this what You"all recommend ?

Everything I trey I get Bricked, I have to odin the ME7 Tar to un-brick :rolleyes:

Last edited:

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
I need to Get to NC5, I'm Stuck on ME7..... I could take the OTA update, is this what You"all recommend ?

Everything I trey I get Bricked, I have to odin the ME7 Tar to un-brick :rolleyes:

You can't use OTA unless the phone is totally stock. You can upgrade by odin-flashing the no-wipe or full-wipe NC5 tar files that are in their own thread in the Android Development section

Capaints

Jun 22, 2012
Riverside
You can't use OTA unless the phone is totally stock. You can upgrade by odin-flashing the no-wipe or full-wipe NC5 tar files that are in their own thread in the Android Development section

Right now I'm completely Stock " odin ME7 full wipe tar" I have tried to odin to NC5 But No Luck, gets Bricked, have tried a few different files....
maybe You know a NC5 Full wipe or ??? I can odin to ?

I watched a couple YouTube videos on the Upgrade to Rooted NC5 with Super SU and still No Luck......

Need Help, Take the OTA update ? Thx

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
Right now I'm completely Stock " odin ME7 full wipe tar" I have tried to odin to NC5 But No Luck, gets Bricked, have tried a few different files....

I watched a couple YouTube videos on the Upgrade to Rooted NC5 with Super SU and still No Luck......

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2735172

Use this full wipe file and follow Surge's instructions. If you're using Odin 3.10 and having trouble, try rolling back to 3.09

swc2001

Dec 9, 2010
Thank You Joshm, that did it ! First try and Now on NC5

Now I need to Root it and load Safe Strap :good:

Ok I just bought an S4 that is on ME7 and is Bone Stock. I need to get it to NC5 as well.
Can I use the Full Wipe File to get me to where I need to be? Just Want to do this the safe way.

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

Ok I got impatient and tried this: http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2735172
as was suggested up above. Luckily it worked first time out of the box and had Zero issues.
Thanks Guys!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well I followed the instructions in this post (which was stickied) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2720163
    and now all I am getting is "System software not authorized by Verizon Wireless has been found on your phone. Please turn off your phone and go to the nearest Verizon Wireless store for help. "

Tried rebooting into download mode, and into recovery, neither would come up.

Anyone have some advice?

I would post in the forum I linked but I dont have enough posts under my belt to post in that category.

Oh, and in the top left side of the screen in red letters I see Secure Fail: kernel

Aaron

Use this full wipe file and follow Surge's instructions. If you're using Odin 3.10 and having trouble, try rolling back to 3.09

Thank You Joshm, that did it ! First try and Now on NC5

Now I need to Root it and load Safe Strap :good: