[READ THIS] Got a Boot Loop? Don't post a New Thread!

Search This thread

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
OK so it seems a lot of people are having issues with boot loops when they are messing around with things. First thing. Your phone is NOT bricked or broken.

It's just unable to start due to something missing or broken. Don't panic, there's no issue. I did this the day I got my phone, and there was nobody to "help" as such, so I just fixed it myself.

These are the steps to fix a boot loop. If you do this correctly, it WILL fix it. But you must do it EXACTLY to the letter.

So here we go...

1) Turn off your phone. Unplug it from your computer etc

2) Hold down home, power, and volume UP. This will enter recovery mode. If you are using CF-Root, you'll get CWM recovery. If not, you get stock recovery. It doesn't matter which appears.

3) Choose to wipe user data from the menu.

4) Turn off the phone by long-pressing the power button.

5) Prepare ODIN on your PC by using task manager to kill any KIES processes, then open ODIN.

6) Put your phone into download mode (home + power + volume down)

7) Plug your phone into the computer using the factory USB cable. The leftmost box should go yellow and an ID number will appear.

8) Flash a stock ROM from those available in ODIN format, and the phone will boot correctly.

Alternatively, it is possible to flash VillainROM 1.1 if you are not comfortable in wiping via recovery, or if you cannot do so for any reason (corrupted kernel etc), as it wipes all users data when installing. Simply ignore steps 2 to 4, and flash VillainROM 1.1 via ODIN instead of the stock ROM.

Any questions about boot loops? Ask them here rather than making new threads.

Adding a nice little video from user "dullah"

Last edited:

urmybaby

Oct 14, 2010
noted with thx, I wish i had the correct instruction 3 days ago.
one more question, do we have to do one more step to flash the stock kernel after we flash the stock rom?

Reactions: Taimur Akmal

Dannyboyni

Sep 30, 2010
I plug the phone into the pc, but my drivers dont seem to be working it fails to be recognised. I tried with another Galaxy S II, and this phone does appear on the pc. Im thinking its because my phone isnt in download mode?

Any ideas?

jody2k

Jun 3, 2011
I have a Boot loop after doing a full reset, It was installed with lightning rom

Now Odin doesnt recognize my phone, thats bacause i'm on other computer now (havnt installed the drivers jet)... i tried installing kies 2.0, didnt help... any suggestions?

Edit: is there no manually way to install you phone on you computer with manual drivers or something.... it's bacause odin still doesnt recognize my phone

EDIT2: I fixed my problem, for everyone that had same issue: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=961956 => these drivers work

Last edited:

jody2k

Jun 3, 2011
I have done all the instructions and flashed with a stock rom with odin but my phone still does the boot loop :( any suggestions?

Edit: fixed it with the villainrom, sorry for my post

thx!

Last edited:

din5353

Jun 26, 2009
I have done all the instructions and flashed with a stock rom with odin but my phone still does the boot loop :( any suggestions?

Edit: fixed it with the villainrom, sorry for my post

thx!

I also got the boot loop.Here what i have been done:

1.flash villain rom.
2.want to change to lite'ning rom = boot loop
3.clear into factory data reset and flash stock rom = success
4.i still want to use lite'ning rom and flash it = boot loop
5.clear into factory data reset and flash lite'ning = boot loop

Is it somethin wrong with the villain rom or lite'ning rom?

Crucio_

May 3, 2011
Ellesmere Port
I plug the phone into the pc, but my drivers dont seem to be working it fails to be recognised. I tried with another Galaxy S II, and this phone does appear on the pc. Im thinking its because my phone isnt in download mode?

Any ideas?

If when connecting phone to your pc and your phone is ON then download the latest version of kies from samsung as this holds the drivers to connect to your computer properly.

If you are talking about when your phone is OFF and using ODIN then it should pick up your phone but you wont be able to flash until you are in download mode.

only other thing id add is try using a different usb port, one that is like a mainboard port not a hub.

jody2k

Jun 3, 2011
I also got the boot loop.Here what i have been done:

1.flash villain rom.
2.want to change to lite'ning rom = boot loop
3.clear into factory data reset and flash stock rom = success
4.i still want to use lite'ning rom and flash it = boot loop
5.clear into factory data reset and flash lite'ning = boot loop

Is it somethin wrong with the villain rom or lite'ning rom?
Jep having same issues, not really an issue but i'm also stuck with the villain rom :) If i try to flash it with lighting rom i have boot loop
this all has started with a full factory reset, when I was on the lightning rom, the full factory reset caused my bootloop and ever sence the only rom that works on my phone is the villain rom

Reactions: Taimur Akmal

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
Guys it seems there's an issue with some custom ROMs. VillainROM seems fine, as people can safely return to it.

If you cannot get a ROM to flash, then instead of flashing a custom ROM at the end of the process, ODIN a stock ROM after the wipe. That should fix the issue.

It appears some custom ROMs have a bug with wrong permissions, preventing the system from booting.

Reactions: johnfre

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
Jep having same issues, not really an issue but i'm also stuck with the villain rom :) If i try to flash it with lighting rom i have boot loop
this all has started with a full factory reset, when I was on the lightning rom, the full factory reset caused my bootloop and ever sence the only rom that works on my phone is the villain rom

Yes, it appears lightning rom can't cope with a full wipe when it's running. VR is set up to work after the full wipe, provided you re-install it via ODIN :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK so it seems a lot of people are having issues with boot loops when they are messing around with things. First thing. Your phone is NOT bricked or broken.

It's just unable to start due to something missing or broken. Don't panic, there's no issue. I did this the day I got my phone, and there was nobody to "help" as such, so I just fixed it myself.

These are the steps to fix a boot loop. If you do this correctly, it WILL fix it. But you must do it EXACTLY to the letter.

So here we go...

1) Turn off your phone. Unplug it from your computer etc

2) Hold down home, power, and volume UP. This will enter recovery mode. If you are using CF-Root, you'll get CWM recovery. If not, you get stock recovery. It doesn't matter which appears.

3) Choose to wipe user data from the menu.

4) Turn off the phone by long-pressing the power button.

5) Prepare ODIN on your PC by using task manager to kill any KIES processes, then open ODIN.

6) Put your phone into download mode (home + power + volume down)

7) Plug your phone into the computer using the factory USB cable. The leftmost box should go yellow and an ID number will appear.

8) Flash a stock ROM from those available in ODIN format, and the phone will boot correctly.

Alternatively, it is possible to flash VillainROM 1.1 if you are not comfortable in wiping via recovery, or if you cannot do so for any reason (corrupted kernel etc), as it wipes all users data when installing. Simply ignore steps 2 to 4, and flash VillainROM 1.1 via ODIN instead of the stock ROM.

Any questions about boot loops? Ask them here rather than making new threads.

Adding a nice little video from user "dullah"

Great instructions, I wish I had these 2 nights ago.
    Thanks
    Great instructions, I wish I had these 2 nights ago.
    Thanks

Yea me too :D
    I had it myself and i was pretty happy that i uses the backup function from recoverymode cwm.

I would really really recommend that u use this BEFORE doing any critical changes to your phone.
    N
    noppy22
    @akprashant
    The best way of backing up app data like you describe is to install Titanium Backup app, or something similar. I don't know of any recoveries that will do that