[HOWTO] If you flashed the original RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.* and got the new hboot

Search This thread

Jesterz

Retired Moderator
Apr 27, 2006
You will have noticed you can't 'fastboot boot' the recovery image again for rooting or using the new recovery image.

However:

You can use flashrec to flash the patched recovery, from where you can do all the usual stuff (and even put the old hboot back on if you want!)

Notice:
flashrec is using an exploit that isn't patched yet in the current kernel used by HTC, however if/when HTC patches this, flashrec will stop working.
So for now it's ok but a next version might have patched this, so keep this in mind !

Thanks for the original headsup by Magnus and Modaco, adapted from here

Quick Howto:

1. On your phone, goto Settings, Applications, and make sure Unknown source is checked ON.

2. On your phone, goto Settings, SD card and phone storage, and click Unmount SD card.

3. Then click Format SD card (it should automatically remount after this).

4. Plug the phone into the compuer via USB, then pull down the notification bar and click on the SD card notification. Then click mount.

5. Download this APK and recovery image and save it to your computer:
flashrec-20090815.apk
Cyanogen’s / Modaco Hero Recovery Image

Update: updated flashrec here

6. Extract the cm-hero-recovery.img out of the MoDaCoPatchedRecovery-1.0.zip and put it somewhere on your computer.

7. Save both the cm-hero-recovery.img and the flashrec-20090815.apk to your computer, then copy them both to your SD card
(do NOT put them inside any folders on the SD card, just put them in the root of the SD card itself).

8. Unplug the phone from the computer once they are downloaded to the SD card.

9. Goto the Market and download Linda File Manager or any file manager program if you do not already have one.

10. Open the file manager and goto SDCard and then find the flashrec-20090815.apk file and click on it.
If asked, tell it to use Package Installer to open it. It should automatically install the apk.

11. Open the FlashRec program and click on Backup Recovery Image and wait for it to finish.

12. Once done, click on the empty text box in the FlashRec program and type:
sdcard/cm-hero-recovery.img
Then click on the Flash Custom Recovery Image button and wait for it to finish.

13. Turn off the phone and turn it on into Recovery mode by holding down Home and Power to turn it on
(keep holding until the recovery screen comes up has a bunch of text on a black background).
As long as that screen comes up, you have done it correctly and can now go and load other ROM/hboot/whatever.

Last edited:

Nitrius

Feb 15, 2009
I flashed the new official update from HTC, but i do got a nandroid from before when my phone was rooted, do you know if restoring that will make any changes to the hboot? And will i get root again? Or is this method that you posted over, the only way so far?

Radeon1337

Sep 5, 2009
Root

I did all this with the orginal 2.73 update and booted in to the recovery mode (worked fine..) but i still dont hav root :confused:
I tried the other method from theunlockr.com to but still no root..

Reso9

Jan 21, 2007
Is it possible to make this without a sd card?
Because my phone doesn't detect my sd card. Now i have the problem that i can't do anything on my phone because i can't get into recovery mode...

Anyone who knowes a solution???

Thanks in advance.

Radeon1337

Sep 5, 2009
I get this "downloading 'boot.img'... FAILED (remote: not allow)" when i type "fastboot boot cm-hero-recovery.img" any one know what is wrong ? :(

ginchiller

Sep 1, 2009
Vienna
you have uploaded the recovery image by that apk, be sure to boot your phone holding POWER+HOME NOT power+back, then you can continue to root your phone, hope i could help you

walter_yaron

Aug 16, 2009
after i update the rom to the new one 2.73
i can't root my hero
i get this error msg "FAILED (remote: not allow)"
i need to install fonts and i can't
anyone can help me

kingkeld

Aug 12, 2009
Wait, I gotta format the SD card?

Why would this be needed? Isnt it enough to just do the rest???

G

Geochelone

I'd like to update with RUU, but failed with this error. Kindly advice :)

57112629.png

tembares

When I followed the instructions, everything worked, until I have to restart with Home button pressed.
I see the HERO word on my screen, but nothing else happens.

Has someone some suggestions?
I followed the instructions already twice.
-------------------------------------------------------------
SOLVED:
In the first page there is a link to flashrec-20090815.apk. That did not work for me.
I used http://code.google.com/p/flashrec/ to download the file.

Thank you for your interest in reading my post.

Last edited: