Microsoft Silverlight Coming to Android!

Search This thread

bdemartino

Jan 18, 2011
Midwest
Anyone hear any more on this? I've been searching my ass off and so far what I'm seeing is that there is a way to develop with silverlight for android (with mono for android) however, there doesn't seem to be any way to take a silverlight application and convert/wrap it to an android compatible format (nor is there a silverlight plugin of any sort that is compatible with android). I also read that Koush at one point was playing with moonlight/mono to get it working for android, but that was very long ago. The most "recent" news on it that I found was from April of this month. I also read a comment that the mono developers were laid off, could this be why there hasn't been anything since April?

crewmeal

Dec 26, 2008
I too am waiting for Silverlight to be devekoped for my new tablet - Packard Bell Liberty. It won't play live TV or stream video content, which is what it was designed for. It works on the Android 3.1 platform. I've messaged Microsoft and am still awaiting a reply.

leaskovski

Mar 31, 2006
It wont work for the sky go website as obviously sky uses the DRM part of silverlight and MS won't allow the moonlight team to see that part of silverlight.

wjaun

Feb 13, 2012
Silverlight on Android

The wait is over. head over to maxthon.com, download their browser and... it plays Netflix and Lovefilm - Silverlight embedded.

Legah

Aug 31, 2009
I haven't had a chance to look around for any recent sources about silverlight on android, is it still in progress or has it been put aside because there's a probability that many will start using HTML5 instead, since media capabilities at least are available there?

On a sidenote I must confess silverlight is a bit new to me since I've only just recently started a new job where I'm familiarizing myself with MS VS, .Net and silverlight, so you'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge.

tp2215

Oct 2, 2010
Orlando
if Microsoft was smart, this would be an incredible move for them. With the death of flash on Android, Microsoft can start to dominate that market and then that might encourage a lot more devs to start programming in silverlite.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: rayandreas

Phantoms

May 29, 2010
Savannah, GA
Moonlight for Linux is a joke. Just go to your Xbox Live account online and try to view many of the Silverlight embodiments to see. Silverlight as evidenced by it's heavy use on Xbox Live is not going anywhere. Moonlight's android developments is the same basic code as for Linux. Moonlight for Android/Linux will always be a half baked solution.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks to the Moonlight crew, Android devices will soon be able to run Silverlight!

Silverlight is a must-have for some users for websites such as Netflix and Sky Go (formally known as Sky Player)!

Here is a video from a few months back, demonstrating their progress so far:

http://mobiputing.com/2011/04/moonlight-silverlight-for-linux-coming-to-android/

Indeed - apologies to all - was so excited to play movie trailer had to post - should have investigated further to see that trailers are in Flash - streaming in Silverlight...
    Still waiting for a solution
    if Microsoft was smart, this would be an incredible move for them. With the death of flash on Android, Microsoft can start to dominate that market and then that might encourage a lot more devs to start programming in silverlite.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2