Stock Samsung recovery for AT&T galaxy s3 i747

Search This thread

garydv2002

Feb 14, 2012
Stock Samsung recovery pulled straight from stock firmware and packaged as a Odin flashable tar file. I decided to do this for those who may want or need to flash the stock recovery. I have tested this and worked fine on my phone. I am not sure if it will work with any other carrier besides AT&T so if you try it do so at your own risk and if it works report it and I will add any other confirmed carriers that it works for. I am not responsible if you brick, melt or blow up your phone so don't cry to me lol...
Below is the link to download the tar file. If anyone wants to make a cwm flashable zip feel free to and post a link to where it can be downloaded....

Edit....
It has been confirmed that this will work on Bell devices also...

http://db.tt/AvISQtPy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

eddied042092

Oct 23, 2012
Redlands
Stock Samsung recovery pulled straight from stock firmware and packaged as a Odin flashable tar file. I decided to do this for those who may want or need to flash the stock recovery. I have tested this and worked fine on my phone. I am not sure if it will work with any other carrier besides AT&T so if you try it do so at your own risk and if it works report it and I will add any other confirmed carriers that it works for. I am not responsible if you brick, melt or blow up your phone so don't cry to me lol...
Below is the link to download the tar file. If anyone wants to make a cwm flashable zip feel free to and post a link to where it can be downloaded....

sorry to ask such a nooby question but is this the stock recovery as in the ROM or as in a recovery like cwm or twrp?

eddied042092

Oct 23, 2012
Redlands
This is pure stock. Not custom (new vocab: custom is what you call cwm and twrp, stock is, well, stock ;P)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

Thanks lol I knew that already its just I just barely upgraded to thw gs3 from an htc vivid and im not sure if this had an hboot menu like that one did you know? Im just a little new to the whole samsung thing my bad

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

lessthanzach

May 23, 2008
Redding, CA
Thanks lol I knew that already its just I just barely upgraded to thw gs3 from an htc vivid and im not sure if this had an hboot menu like that one did you know? Im just a little new to the whole samsung thing my bad

Samsung doesn't have hboot. Only recovery and download (Odin) modes.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: eddied042092

garydv2002

Feb 14, 2012
Can you explain to me what the odin mode is for?

Odin mode or download mode is for flashing a new firmware. I mainly posted this stock recovery for the ones using a custom recovery like cwm or twrp and just wanted to flash the stock recovery back so they could update their phones via a OTA update. If you are running a recovery like cwm or twrp and your phone tells you that you have a ota firmware update available it will not let you install it with a custom recovery. To update via a OTA update you must have the stock Samsung recovery. So now anyone using cwm or twrp can just flash this stock recovery download everoot from the play store for free then run ever root update their phone run ever root again and never even lose root privaledge on their phone....

HiKsFiles

Aug 7, 2010
Québec city
Has anyone tried it on a canadian i747m yet ?

I'm not willing to be the first one to try it out as I can't afford to brick it due to software incompatibility. :/

skrambled

Mar 2, 2011
New Hampshire
Thanks for posting this Gary! And good to see ya here, we gotta get the remaining skyrocket crew to join the dark side lol :p

Does anyone know if stock recovery is required to perform official OTA updates with the S3 on AT&T? I remember needing stock recovery for updates to the S2 Skyrocket, but I'm not sure if anything's changed with the S3 (and I did see a Rogers user say he was able to get the jb OTA while using TWRP for recovery, so maybe it isn't necessary?).

EDIT: Also wanted to mention, in case anyone is wondering, this .tar does work with Mobile Odin Pro. Just used it successfully.

Last edited:

garydv2002

Feb 14, 2012
From what I've heard yes you do need the stock recovery to ota update on the s3. Again I hadn't tried it but that's what I hear anyway.
Oh and its good to be here. I still have my rocket. Its used for highly experimental testing and flashing lol.. I've soft bricked it three times since I've had my s3 in less than a month lol. I just hope my next experiment whatever that may be isn't my last lol...

eduardo_b

Jun 27, 2012
45°28′N 09°11′E

You didn't mention it, or I missed it, but this is LH9 stock, yes?

HiKsFiles

Aug 7, 2010
Québec city
Stock 3e recovery == Stock Samsung recovery ;)

However, I'm still curious to know if the stock recovery is indeed the same for any build number / variant of the North American GS3... :confused:

garydv2002

Feb 14, 2012
It did not trigger my flash counter....

And I also agree with skrambled I think the stock recovery is for all builds of the S3

rizzo269

Jan 16, 2011
MI
Worked perfect on my att gs3 running jelly bean. Thanks for posting. I would also be curious if this works on the other variants as well.

No tripping of the flash counter either.

eggwardo

Mar 12, 2012
I don't use ODIN enough to remember. Which button do i pick to flash the "stock recovery.tar"? (bootloader, PDA, PHONE, CSC)

thanks

Reactions: VeeWarn911

johnye17

Apr 20, 2013
Bayamon

Edit....

this stock recovery, will it "upgrade" my phone to 4.3? as in make all the adjustments already made go back to new? asking because i accidentally upgraded what i think was a Knox security thing that crashed my SuperSU and now i cant even start it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Edit....

sorry to ask such a nooby question but is this the stock recovery as in the ROM or as in a recovery like cwm or twrp?

This is pure stock. Not custom (new vocab: custom is what you call cwm and twrp, stock is, well, stock ;P)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

Samsung doesn't have hboot. Only recovery and download (Odin) modes.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    You didn't mention it, or I missed it, but this is LH9 stock, yes?

As far as I know the stock 3e recovery has not changed, it's the same for any build number for the S3. The stock recovery is on a partition separate from the rom so it shouldn't matter which build you're on.

(99% sure on this but someone please correct me if I'm wrong)
    I don't use ODIN enough to remember. Which button do i pick to flash the "stock recovery.tar"? (bootloader, PDA, PHONE, CSC)

thanks