[Q] N900W8 software problems

Search This thread

tedmonddo

Mar 19, 2014
Oakville, ON
i had a thread in generals, but figured it was the wrong place so i moved the post to here. c/p from OP

Hi all, I'm new to XDA so hopefully someone can help me. I purchased a brand new unlocked note 3 N9000W8 in canada from a cellphone store on Monday Morning. The phone was great and worked without a hitch and had android 4.3 on it.
Later on during the day, there were numerous news headlines regarding a 4.4.2 was officially released. So i decided to do the software update. With failed attempts with the message "Your device have been modified, Software updates are not available"

I checked my Settings > about device > status > device status and it states custom or modified. I am unsure how this is possible thinking it was a brand new phone. After some in depth reading i powered off the phone and check the android download mode (power, home button vol down key combo).

It states device status: custom, firmware: custom, knox 0x1 (which meant my warranty was gone essentially). I proceeded to call the shop i purchased the phone at, and the manager said they buy the phones from the distributor which unlocks them before it gets in their hands. so it must have been rooted prior to me receiving the phone.
Long story short...i know its been quite the reading already my appologies. I used samsung KIES to backup the phone and it updated it back to the stock firmware 4.4.2. I was prepared to loose the root as i dont need it. More concerned about the warranty. With the device and firmware status back to original i can now do OTA updates, however

Problem i have now is after the factory firmware upgrade to stock, my sim no longer works on the network. Seems as if the device has a sim lock, but it never asked for one. A local cellphone shop in st.catharines said there might be an issue with the baseband after the official update.

before the update, i tried all the suggestions such as unmounting the sd card, wiping cache, using supersu to unroot.

Can anyone chime in on what the problem may be? I go to school here, so if all else fails i will have to go back to toronto where i purchased it, and have them figure it out. just a hassle for me to get there without a car.

djnoicatse

Jun 4, 2010
Toronto
Seems that the phone was software unlocked while it was rooted. Un rooting the device will simply lock the phone back up. Have you tried entering your carriers APN settings under mobile network?

You have a couple of options, you can root your phone again and software unlock your phone using "CF Region Lock Away" (I've heard that it worked on 4.3 (N900W8) not sure if it'll work with 4.4.2.

2nd option is to get a hardware unlock code from a retailer who unlocks phones.

If I were in your position, I'd try and return the USED phone back to the person you bought it from as it was clearly tampered with. You bought a phone which has KNOX 0x1 which VOIDS your warranty. You were under the assumption that the phone you bought was brand new in the box, FALSE ADVERTISING.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: tedmonddo

nexxusty

May 11, 2011
Georgetown, Ontario
i had a thread in generals, but figured it was the wrong place so i moved the post to here. c/p from OP

Hi all, I'm new to XDA so hopefully someone can help me. I purchased a brand new unlocked note 3 N9000W8 in canada from a cellphone store on Monday Morning. The phone was great and worked without a hitch and had android 4.3 on it.
Later on during the day, there were numerous news headlines regarding a 4.4.2 was officially released. So i decided to do the software update. With failed attempts with the message "Your device have been modified, Software updates are not available"

I checked my Settings > about device > status > device status and it states custom or modified. I am unsure how this is possible thinking it was a brand new phone. After some in depth reading i powered off the phone and check the android download mode (power, home button vol down key combo).

It states device status: custom, firmware: custom, knox 0x1 (which meant my warranty was gone essentially). I proceeded to call the shop i purchased the phone at, and the manager said they buy the phones from the distributor which unlocks them before it gets in their hands. so it must have been rooted prior to me receiving the phone.
Long story short...i know its been quite the reading already my appologies. I used samsung KIES to backup the phone and it updated it back to the stock firmware 4.4.2. I was prepared to loose the root as i dont need it. More concerned about the warranty. With the device and firmware status back to original i can now do OTA updates, however

Problem i have now is after the factory firmware upgrade to stock, my sim no longer works on the network. Seems as if the device has a sim lock, but it never asked for one. A local cellphone shop in st.catharines said there might be an issue with the baseband after the official update.

before the update, i tried all the suggestions such as unmounting the sd card, wiping cache, using supersu to unroot.

Can anyone chime in on what the problem may be? I go to school here, so if all else fails i will have to go back to toronto where i purchased it, and have them figure it out. just a hassle for me to get there without a car.

Bro.....

Meet me at the store you bought this from in T.O, I will get you a refund in 5 minutes.

Not even slightly kidding.

You were RIPPED OFF bud!! Do not allow that to go down. Tell them to switch it for another one, until you get one that has a warranty.

Seriously, my offer stands. If you want to meet down there sometime this week I would be glad to do so, I live about an hour outside the GTA but I don't give a ****. If there is anything I can do to help you in this situation I'll do it.

Reactions: radicalisto

tedmonddo

Mar 19, 2014
Oakville, ON
I have tried registering it on the fido network without any luck. Even the local cellphone shop was tinkering with it for 30minutes trying to help me out. They weren't able to do anything either. From my understanding, a software unlock only works for europe phones (based on what i have read) even the local guys said its usually just a pin unlock.

Update: The retailer that i bought it from said he ordered me a new white note 3 unlocked as well to replace my problematic one. When i go again i have to make sure its not rooted. IS there such thing as a Factory unlocked/unbranded samsung note 3 from samsung themselves?

Seems that the phone was software unlocked while it was rooted. Un rooting the device will simply lock the phone back up. Have you tried entering your carriers APN settings under mobile network?

You have a couple of options, you can root your phone again and software unlock your phone using "CF Region Lock Away" (I've heard that it worked on 4.3 (N900W8) not sure if it'll work with 4.4.2.

If I were in your position, I'd try and return the USED phone back to the person you bought it from as it was clearly tampered with. You bought a phone which has KNOX 0x1 which VOIDS your warranty. You were under the assumption that the phone you bought was brand new in the box, FALSE ADVERTISING.

tedmonddo

Mar 19, 2014
Oakville, ON
The manager is more than willing to help me by getting me a new device. As mentioned in the previous post, i do hope that this one is unmodified/unrooted out of the box. Anything to look out for besides the software download information screen?

May i ask where you got your device? maybe i can go there and get mine. I might take you up on that offer, and I can swing by to get you. I live on the border of milton/oakville so you're not that far out.Go to school in st.catharines. It seems you're much more knowledgeable about this that i was at first.

appreciate the help

Bro.....

Meet me at the store you bought this from in T.O, I will get you a refund in 5 minutes.

You were RIPPED OFF bud!! Do not allow that to go down. Tell them to switch it for another one, until you get one that has a warranty.

Seriously, my offer stands. If you want to meet down there sometime this week I would be glad to do so, I live about an hour outside the GTA but I don't give a ****. If there is anything I can do to help you in this situation I'll do it.

nexxusty

May 11, 2011
Georgetown, Ontario
The manager is more than willing to help me by getting me a new device. As mentioned in the previous post, i do hope that this one is unmodified/unrooted out of the box. Anything to look out for besides the software download information screen?

May i ask where you got your device? maybe i can go there and get mine. I might take you up on that offer, and I can swing by to get you. I live on the border of milton/oakville so you're not that far out.Go to school in st.catharines. It seems you're much more knowledgeable about this that i was at first.

appreciate the help

I traded a Red Nexus 5 I had at the time for a Black Unlocked Note 3 +$200 cash on Kijiji. Came with a Spigen Slim Armor too.

There are tons of decent deals on Kijiji, you NEED to know how to spot fakes, check IMEI's, look for defects, etc.

I can help you find something if you'd like, just say the word. I will still help you deal with the other guy as well. I'll bring an SD card with .apk's on it like CPU-Z to make sure it's legit. The IMEI we just type in protectyourdata.ca on my phone or tethered laptop to make sure it isn't blacklisted. Checking for unlock is easy too, as long as we have multiple sims from different companies (I have 2, we might have 3 with yours).

I'll make sure you walk out of there with a fully legitimate Note 3. 100%.

If I can help a fellow XDA'er, a Canadian to boot, I will do it in a heartbeat.

Sometimes I come off like a **** (especially to n00bs, I am really mean now and then...) but I am always willing to help.

Last edited:

tedmonddo

Mar 19, 2014
Oakville, ON
I watched a few videos on how to spot fake devices and this one was legit for sure. I plan to go saturday to get this sorted out once and for all. The problem is i require the knox to be 0x0 as my part time job requires me to have a phone that is enterprise capable, for the byod. In the event he only has rooted unlocked phones, i will get my money back because i need a legit clean phone.

as mentioned i really appreciate the help, Can you send me a PM with your phone number? If you have a few hours to spare on saturday im more than willing to swing by and get you, in hopes to figure out my phone problem.

I traded a Red Nexus 5 I had at the time for a Black Unlocked Note 3 +$200 cash on Kijiji. Came with a Spigen Slim Armor too.

There are tons of decent deals on Kijiji, you NEED to know how to spot fakes, check IMEI's, look for defects, etc.

I can help you find something if you'd like, just say the word. I will still help you deal with the other guy as well. I'll bring an SD card with .apk's on it like CPU-Z to make sure it's legit. The IMEI we just type in protectyourdata.ca on my phone or tethered laptop to make sure it isn't blacklisted. Checking for unlock is easy too, as long as we have multiple sims from different companies (I have 2, we might have 3 with yours).

Sometimes I come off like a **** (especially to n00bs, I am really mean now and then...) but I am always willing to help.

nexxusty

May 11, 2011
Georgetown, Ontario
I watched a few videos on how to spot fake devices and this one was legit for sure. I plan to go saturday to get this sorted out once and for all. The problem is i require the knox to be 0x0 as my part time job requires me to have a phone that is enterprise capable, for the byod. In the event he only has rooted unlocked phones, i will get my money back because i need a legit clean phone.

as mentioned i really appreciate the help, Can you send me a PM with your phone number? If you have a few hours to spare on saturday im more than willing to swing by and get you, in hopes to figure out my phone problem.

I totally understand. Knox containers, etc. hehe.

Will PM you my number. Just to let you know though, I'm NOT a small guy. I hope you don't have a Smart Car or something... lol.

6'4, 330 lbs here. ;)

Talk soon.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

appreciate the help

Bro.....