[Issue][5/16] Sound popping/crackling with small fix

Search This thread

Zacisblack

Dec 15, 2010
Since recent updates I've been getting popping in audio. This ONLY occurs when I touch the screen. For example when I have a song on and I swype I can hear popping as I move my finger across the screen. Is anyone else having this issue? Using voodoo control plus with version 8 driver.

EDIT: Emailed supercurio. He is working on a fix and I am testing it for him. The only tweak he said he found so far to improve this is using the command "echo 0 > /sys/module/printk/parameters/time" in adb shell. He said it should improve noise popping and he was exactly right. The popping is still noticeable but has much improved! He said he will consider integrating it in a future version.

EDIT (5/16): To be clear, Supercurio says this is a flaw in the Froyo kernel whether stock or not. I recently odined back to DL09 to do OTA to EB03 and still have some issues. Being on complete stock, the issue is not nearly as bad and doesn't occur when I interact with the screen. The issue of sound popping occurs about every 8-12 seconds when playing back audio of any kind. Here is one of his exact messages in our email conversation.

"François SIMOND - supercurio to me
show details Apr 28
Hi Zachary!

This is an issue with the [Froyo]* kernel itself, which is poorly implemented.
Gingerbread kernels are not affected anymore. Is it really bad in ED01 ?"

* Was added in for context.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA Premium App

Last edited:

Jrex

Oct 22, 2010
Knoxvegas!
www.facebook.com
Since recent updates I've been getting popping in music. This ONLY occurs when I touch the screen. For example when I have a song on and I swype I can hear popping as I move my finger across the screen. Is anyone else having this issue? Using voodoo control plus with version 8 driver.

Yeah, same here! I noticed it as soon as I got set up cause I use my fassy religiously as an mp3 player! :confused:

keith.mcintyre26

Feb 9, 2009
Richmond
Google Pixel 6
Google Pixel 7
Since recent updates I've been getting popping in music. This ONLY occurs when I touch the screen. For example when I have a song on and I swype I can hear popping as I move my finger across the screen. Is anyone else having this issue? Using voodoo control plus with version 8 driver.

What rom/kernel?

Zacisblack

Dec 15, 2010
Community Rom and the included rom by nemesis2all. I just reverted from jt's alpha gingerbread and it happened on that too. Dont think it's a ROM issue but rather a voodoo sound driver issue. Just seeing if it's just me or if others are also noticing.

Kamar234

Nov 11, 2009
New York
I too am having the same problem and it's driving me nuts! It's not only when you touch the screen, but whenever the processor load ramps up, so it's pretty much whenever the phone does any thinking. Very annoying.

s44

Sep 25, 2010
Doesn't happen for me (imnuts -50). But I'm using MortPlayer, not the stock Samsung.

If you're on the nemesis kernel, try changing some of the enabled clockspeeds?

Zacisblack

Dec 15, 2010
Doesnt help. This also happened when I was on CM7 when I wasnt on nemesis2all's kernel. I realized this didnt happen until voodoo driver version 8. I emailed project voodoo to see what they have to say.

bobloblaw1

May 25, 2010
Have you checked the scheduler you are using? It almost sounds like the phone is decreasing the priority devoted to decoding the mp3 too much or it is giving too much cpu to the ui. Drivers

Tkun

Oct 10, 2010
I've noticed popping only since I flashed Jt's CM7 rom. I'm not currently on the rom, but the problem still exists. I'm thinking there's something in that rom that has messed up my phone's audio (hopefully not permanently).

neswii

Sep 22, 2010
Im having this strange pops too. I have a SGS i9000 and am using the Voodoo control plus app. Theyre very noticeable when i put on my headphones, horrible really. Id like some help or feedback on this. I wont mess with internal stuff since the app supposedly loads on top and doesnt change anything per se.

beray5

Dec 7, 2010
Try switching to the CFQ scheduler in Voltage Control app, if the problems did improved and rarely show up then switch to BFQ.

BFQ is the best for latency dependent data transports. I'm using the latest voodoo sound without any crackles or pops.

Last edited:

bmeek

Jun 2, 2007
sound pooping; ehrrr... "popping"

I've noticed popping only since I flashed Jt's CM7 rom. I'm not currently on the rom, but the problem still exists. I'm thinking there's something in that rom that has messed up my phone's audio (hopefully not permanently).

an interesting theory - I've now got the popping-when-touching-the-screen issue too. although i'm currently running imnuts 100 kernel; the voodoo 8 (plus) app; and stock ED01 debloated - I did tryout the cm7 roms recently also.

I expect that's just coincidence - many of us here play with various roms and such...

also - the popping issue happens with all the sound apps I've tried (tw music player; pandora; npr; tunein radio, etc).

beray5

Dec 7, 2010
an interesting theory - I've now got the popping-when-touching-the-screen issue too. although i'm currently running imnuts 100 kernel; the voodoo 8 (plus) app; and stock ED01 debloated - I did tryout the cm7 roms recently also.

I expect that's just coincidence - many of us here play with various roms and such...

also - the popping issue happens with all the sound apps I've tried (tw music player; pandora; npr; tunein radio, etc).
I believe JT1134 and imnuts used the same SIO default scheduler, you should verify with imnuts.

Zacisblack

Dec 15, 2010
Changing schedulers doesn't work. I emailed supercurio and its just an issue with froyo kernels and his driver so it wont be fixed until the new version of voodoo sound most likely.

Zacisblack

Dec 15, 2010
Yes it does.. "I/O scheduler latency problems" IS Froyo kernel problems.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1071087&page=2

I don't know if you have this issue or not, but I didn't spend time writing this thread for nothing. I've done troubleshooting and have followed steps to fix it and even emailed the man who created the drivers. He mentioned nothing about schedulers just said that the Froyo kernels are poorly implemented and he will have to find a work around for it. He also mentioned there is no permanent fix for it, only what is in the OP. I can sit here playing with schedulers all day (as I have done), but nothing will change.

Last edited:

blubberflub

Mar 16, 2011
i also experienced this after flashing jt's cm7 so im pretty sure it has to do with the voodoo sound driver in the newer kernels as stated above. even after odin back to stock didnt fix the problem. hoping next voodoo update fixes this issue

*edit
problem fixed after going back to stock then installing official froyo

Last edited: