New Software Update for Verizon GS4

Search This thread

Bait-Fish

Aug 10, 2011
Southern California
Leave the SIM out to guarantee no OTA.

Stress to the rep you're buying it from you don't want them to touch the phone, you're a germiphobe or something to that effect. Or, outright tell them you're a power user and will update it on your own time. Make sure the SIM doesn't go in until you're ready.

A quick summary. ODIN the MD2 kernel on, motochopper to root. Connect to your WiFi to update superuser and binary. I would use a root app (root checker) to test it good. Freeze SDM.apk with Titanium Backup or similar app. Then ODIN back the MDK kernel. Good to go onto the network with SIM. Others have frozen FWUpdate.apk and even changed permissions on the folder the OTA process creates when it starts downloading.

I never got the OTA notification and have only frozen SDM.apk. All is fine now a month later.

In summary, be ready with your PC, necessary files, and knowledge of the process so you can do it tight away when you get it home.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Erievon

Erievon

Jan 12, 2012
Ok, now it makes more sense. What I was missing was, I assumed if I turned the wifi on it would try to get the OTA. If no SIM means no OTA, I can take it from there.

Plan is to order it online, have root/recovery/freeze SDM before I try to activate it. Actually going to activate it on another line first that already lost the unlimited data, then put the original phone back on that line (all this I should be able to do on their website, since the other line has an S3 on it now) then take it into the store to have it activated on my line, only because I need to get a new sim, my bionic sim won't fit. By the time a rep actually touches this thing SDM will be frozen, and recovery will be in place. I will tell him or her not to upgrade it if prompted, but if they ignore me, their best efforts to upgrade it should fail anyway :laugh:

RaptorMD

May 2, 2010
I am planning on returning to Verizon tonight and getting a new GS4 32GB, has anyone who purchased a new phone in the last few days found that the new update is on the store inventory or is it possible that the update is waiting for OTA?

Speedy03

Jun 20, 2013
Raleigh, NC
QUOTE=RaptorMD;44428969]I am planning on returning to Verizon tonight and getting a new GS4 32GB, has anyone who purchased a new phone in the last few days found that the new update is on the store inventory or is it possible that the update is waiting for OTA?[/QUOTE]

The 32GB GS4 can only be ordered online, over the phone with a Verizon rep, or ordered through direct fulfillment by a rep in the store. Verizon does not stock them in the stores.

Don S

Dec 23, 2010
QUOTE=RaptorMD;44428969]I am planning on returning to Verizon tonight and getting a new GS4 32GB, has anyone who purchased a new phone in the last few days found that the new update is on the store inventory or is it possible that the update is waiting for OTA?

The 32GB GS4 can only be ordered online, over the phone with a Verizon rep, or ordered through direct fulfillment by a rep in the store. Verizon does not stock them in the stores.[/QUOTE]

Can anyone who ordered the 32 GB online recently confirm the firmware it shipped with?

DraconicSeed

Aug 9, 2013
If you had the previous release of the phone prior to ME7 there are rom versions that are ME7 based. So if you really want ME7 then you can have it with recovery and root but if you start ME7 you're kinda screwed, like I will be when I get back from this deployment and finally purchase mine.

whirledpeaz

Aug 10, 2013
G4 arrived today

New user here. Received my s4 from verizon online today and activated it. Shortly after I had a message that an update was available. I didn't install it and found that I had VRUMDK. I was hoping that it wouldn't already have VRUME7 on it.

Reactions: afmracer6

jrodefeld

Oct 18, 2011
I'm a new user here. I was wanting to root my phone and install custom roms like I did with my old phone (S2), but I did install the latest software update when I received a message on my phone that said one was available.

I haven't read this whole thread, but is it the case that this update blocks the ability to root and install custom roms? Is there a workaround for this? I never anticipated a software update would have this effect.

I did try to root but ODIN repeatedly failed to find my phone. I did find the phone once but it continually failed when I tried to flash things to the phone. I didn't know at the time but is this the result of the software update?

Please let me know. Thanks.

whirledpeaz

Aug 10, 2013
New software update for Verizon GS4

I'm a new user here. I was wanting to root my phone and install custom roms like I did with my old phone (S2), but I did install the latest software update when I received a message on my phone that said one was available.

I haven't read this whole thread, but is it the case that this update blocks the ability to root and install custom roms? Is there a workaround for this? I never anticipated a software update would have this effect.

I did try to root but ODIN repeatedly failed to find my phone. I did find the phone once but it continually failed when I tried to flash things to the phone. I didn't know at the time but is this the result of the software update?

Please let me know. Thanks.

Yes, for now. But, it is being worked on and the ability to root has been done but no custom roms yet. See this

DraconicSeed

Aug 9, 2013
New user here. Received my s4 from verizon online today and activated it. Shortly after I had a message that an update was available. I didn't install it and found that I had VRUMDK. I was hoping that it wouldn't already have VRUME7 on it.

If I'm not mistaken you DO NOT want to update. I think you can still root and custom recover an MDK verision. If you really want the ME7 there are some ME7 based roms out there. I repeat DO NOT UPDATE!!!

And the fact that you received this recently and that it still had MDK gives me hope that maybe the one I purchase in Sep. will have MDK as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bait-Fish

whirledpeaz

Aug 10, 2013

If I'm not mistaken you DO NOT want to update. I think you can still root and custom recover an MDK verision. If you really want the ME7 there are some ME7 based roms out there. I repeat DO NOT UPDATE!!!

And the fact that you received this recently and that it still had MDK gives me hope that maybe the one I purchase in Sep. will have MDK as well.

Yes we're on the same page. I was glad it didn't have vruame7.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I can confirm that you obviously lose root after the new update. But not only that, the new VRUAME7 build flashes a new bootloader that prevents you from flashing the prerelease kernel effectively preventing you from rerooting after as well. I have a few ideas I'm going to try to get this working but it may require a few extra steps. Watch here for updates and DO NOT update to the new build yet if you want to keep root: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2290798
    I've tried 4 times to apply this update, however the Verizon download thing keeps crapping out. It downloads, then at the end says "Binary Download Fail. Please Try again."

god has told you 4 times to reconsider locking down your phone. how many more does he have to tell you before you'll listen.
    Well guys, I have very unfortunate news for those of you whom updated and wanted to get root again. It is no longer possible. The new locked bootloader in the update prevents your from flashing the prerelease kernel and even prevents you from downgrading the bootloader itself or flashing back to VRUAMDK build so then you could flash the prerelease kernel. At this point anyone who updated is sort of "screwed" (as they say), including my own device. Unfortunatly until someone is able to find a new exploit we are seriously in trouble here as I don't have the knowledge to work on that level.
    After further consideration, and due to the fact that I'm unable to test this no-wipe/no-lock method on my own device (due to having updated early like many folks here) I've decided that it's best to cancel the thread I was going to post. I'm really sorry folks but I realize this will not help those that already updated early and are stuck and also risking first testers with a possible hard brick as well due to the nature of such a mod. Once again, I apologize for raising anyone's hopes but I think this decision will benefit in the long run as our more advanced developers will continue searching for a proper root method that helps us few folks that updated early root as well instead of forgetting us after a no-lock update is available for everyone else. I hope you understand my reasoning for this decision. Better a proper fix for everyone than a workaround for most.
    What's the problem bud?

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S4

You need to start using Google search

Sent from my VZW Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta