[Kernel][For TF300T][F2FS+RECOVERY][4.4.x] GEASS [#7][03/28][LINARO4.8.3]

Search This thread

ebildude123

Nov 25, 2012

KYl4rgv.png

A simple kernel for the average user

This thread is for the TF300T version of the kernel. For the ME301T version, click here: GEASS for ME301T

GO TO THE SECOND POST FOR F2FS DOWNLOADS & INFO! :D

GEASS is aimed at a compromise between good battery life and high performance.

*Based off of CM kernel: https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_kernel_asus_tf300t/tree/cm-11.0
*Overclock CPU to 1.7 GHz
*Overclock GPU up to 7xx MHz (I would recommend 650 max for stability)
*Adds SIO, V(R), Deadline, SIOplus, Zen I/O schedulers
*Adds Pegasusq, OndemandX, InteractiveX, Asswax, SmartassV2, Wheatley CPU governors
*Adds init.d support, insecure kernel
*Supports "adb reboot apx" to boot into APX mode
*Dynamic fsync
*TCP congestion control: cubic (recommended), westwood (recommended), vegas, veno, low priority, yeah, htcp, hstcp, hybla, scalable, illinois
*No need for ASUS performance profiles to set CPU speeds
*Compatible with TF201 on TF300T ROMs and 4.2 BL as well
*Compiled with Linaro 4.8.3 Toolchain optimized for Cortex A9s, which is found in Tegra 3

Download: Geass_Public7.zip (AndroidFileHost.com)

If you are using PacMan ROM please use the PAC compatible kernel download instead: Geass_Public7_PAC.zip

Source: https://github.com/ebildude123/Geass-Kernel-TF300T

Recommended ROM: CyanogenMod; but works with all KitKat ROMs.

Enable performance settings in most ROMs: About device > tap build number until developer options are enabled. Go back to settings and find performance section.

Use Trickster Mod to take full advantage of this kernel.

Screenshots (not up to date):

Dp3RGj6.png

xyZxpgK.png

SPFON59.png

jMMHcJG.png

Antutu Benchmark (16665):

Settings used in screenshot below:
SmartassV2 CPU governor
Noop I/O scheduler
CPU clocked to 1.7GHz
GPU clocked to 600MHz

shYQ4Z2.png

Changelog:
Code:
*Public7 (#7): 7th public release (bug fixes, enable tcp congestion algos, merge in upstream changes from CM, frandom support if you wish to use it)
*Public6 (#6): 6th public release (no more need for performance profiles, custom GPU overclocking (Go to specific section in trickstermod), cpu OC for TF201 (Prime))
*Public5 (#5): 5th public release (adds smartassv2 and wheatley cpu governor, adds apx reboot mode "adb reboot apx")
*Public4 (#4): 4th public release (adds pegasusq cpu governor, adds dynamic fsync, adds zen and sioplus i/o schedulers, insecure kernel [ro.secure=0], "fix 32-bit overflow in get_monotonic_boottime")
*Public3 (#3): 3rd public release (adds VR scheduler, enables deadline scheduler, fixes)
*Public2 (#2): 2nd public release (adds interactivex, init.d support)
*Public1 (#1): initial release (asswax, ondemandX, OC 1.7ghz, sio scheduler)

Last edited:

ebildude123

Nov 25, 2012
F2FS Kernel and Recovery​

ONLY FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS IF YOU WISH TO TRY F2FS (FLASH FRIENDLY FILE SYSTEM)!
USE THE DOWNLOAD FROM THE FIRST POST FOR NORMAL KERNEL DOWNLOAD!

What is F2FS?
F2FS (Flash-Friendly File System) is a flash file system created by Kim Jaegeuk (Hangul: 김재극}) at Samsung for the Linux operating system kernel.[2]
The motive for F2FS was to build a file system that from the start takes into account the characteristics of NAND flash memory-based storage devices (such as solid-state disks, eMMC, and SD cards), which are widely used in computer systems ranging from mobile devices to servers.
Samsung chose a log-structured file system approach, which it adapted to newer forms of storage. F2FS also remedies some known issues[3] of the older log structured file systems, such as the snowball effect of wandering trees and high cleaning overhead. Because a NAND-based storage device shows different characteristics according to its internal geometry or flash memory management scheme (such as the Flash Translation Layer or FTL), Samsung also added various parameters not only for configuring on-disk layout, but also for selecting allocation and cleaning algorithms.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F2FS

Code:
import this.is.your.standard.disclaimer;
public class youHaveBeenWarned
{
public static void main() {
System.out.println("[B][COLOR="Red"]I am not responsible if you damage or brick your device, encounter data loss or corruption, etc.[/COLOR][/B]");
System.out.println("[B][COLOR="red"]At your own risk![/COLOR][/B]"); 
}
}

Compatible ROMs
CyanogenMod 11, OmniROM 4.4, CROMBi-kk, Probably SlimKAT (untested)

Downloads
TWRP 2.7 for F2FS only: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407580523
GEASS v7-f2fs for F2FS only: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407582438

Steps: Read every single word and follow carefully!
1. Backup all your apps, data, music, videos, etc. to your PC or some other external location. They will be lost!
2. Download TWRP 2.7 for F2FS found above in this post. Reboot to your recovery, and flash it. Now boot into android (must).
3. Once in android, download GEASS for f2fs found above in this same post. Reboot to your recovery, and flash it. Now boot into android (must).
4. You will see something along the lines of Encryption Unsuccessful. This is normal.
5. Power off your device (hold power button and select power off).
6. Hold both power and volume down to power your device back on. You should see 3 icons, the first being RCK.
7. Hit volume up once you've confirmed RCK is selected (it should be by default.)
8. You should now be in recovery, and it should say "2.7.0.0-Geass".
9. Hit "Wipe" > "Format Data". When prompted, type "yes" and hit the enter key.
10. It should say it is formatting with mkfs.f2fs.
11. When that is complete, reboot into android.
12. Go through the ROM setup. If you want to double check you're on f2fs, open up terminal emulator and type "mount | grep f2fs" (no quotes) and make sure the /data partition is there (/dev/block/mmcblk0p8). (optional)
13. REMEMBER!: Whenever you are flashing or upgrading a ROM, either remove the boot.blob from the zip before flashing, or flash the F2FS kernel afterwards. For CROMBi-KK, pick "Do Not Flash a Kernel" option when it asks for you to choose a kernel, but still reflash the kernel to get the modules it installs.

Want to use a different kernel and still use F2FS?
These instructions will still apply!
Other confirmed working kernels ( besides GEASS ;) ): _that v9 f2fs

Thanks To
Alex Page (F2FS kernel patch for tegra3)
@scanno (For this commit I needed for twrp -> https://github.com/omnirom/android_...mmit/3ce32690475d0dca09ae459f1ea75534b599bab2)

Please hit the thanks button if this helped. :)

Last edited:

wigginst

Aug 6, 2011
Downloaded from mega without any problems. Running it now and so far I am liking it!

Sent from my TF300T using Tapatalk

SaschaG82

Jan 16, 2012
Thanks for this kernel! Seems to be a really smooth and stable. Got SoDs with GRIMLOCK Kernel ... now on GEASS Kernel everything works fine!

CM11 - NIGHTLY - 20140123

ne0zone75

May 25, 2013
Does your kernel fit to PAC-man KK out of the box ?

@ebildude123,

I use a homemade version of PAC-man KK built three days ago; this morning i flashed your V2 kernel zip file from recovery and it booted but never reached the OS (even after a cache/dalvik wipe). So i decided to 'repo sync' your sources and then build your kernel along with PAC-man KK sources : the result was the same behaviour as described above...

After some time i've discovered this block in your defconfig file :
Code:
#
# CPU Frequency scaling
#
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT_DETAILS is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_POWERSAVE is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_CONSERVATIVE is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMANDX is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_FREELUNCH is not set
[COLOR="Red"]CONFIG_CPUT_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ASSWAX=y[/COLOR]
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_INTERACTIVE is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_INTERACTIVE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_CONSERVATIVE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMANDX=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ASSWAX=y
... and i've changed it to this one :
Code:
#
# CPU Frequency scaling
#
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT=y
[COLOR="Green"]CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE=y[/COLOR]
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ASSWAX is not set
... compiled again along with PAC-man KK sources, flashed it and SUCCESS -> BOOT OK ! :good:

Then, i have three questions for you please :

-> In your defconfig file, 'CONFIG_CPUT_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ASSWAX=y' is a mistyping of 'CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ASSWAX=y' isn't it ?
-> Is your V2 kernel supposed to work out of the box with PAC-man KK ROM ?
-> What settings should i use with your V2 kernel in order to maximize battery life ? My priorities are : stability, battery life and then performance...

Congratulations for your great work and thank you for taking time to answer me ;)

Reactions: Kombatant

ebildude123

Nov 25, 2012
@ebildude123,

I use a homemade version of PAC-man KK built three days ago; this morning i flashed your V2 kernel zip file from recovery and it booted but never reached the OS (even after a cache/dalvik wipe). So i decided to 'repo sync' your sources and then build your kernel along with PAC-man KK sources : the result was the same behaviour as described above...

After some time i've discovered this block in your defconfig file :
Code:
#
# CPU Frequency scaling
#
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_FREELUNCH is not set
[COLOR="Red"]CONFIG_CPUT_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ASSWAX=y[/COLOR]
... and i've changed it to this one :
Code:
#
# CPU Frequency scaling
#
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT=y
[COLOR="Green"]CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE=y[/COLOR]
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ASSWAX is not set
... compiled again along with PAC-man KK sources, flashed it and SUCCESS -> BOOT OK ! :good:

Then, i have three questions for you please :

-> In your defconfig file, 'CONFIG_CPUT_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ASSWAX=y' is a mistyping of 'CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ASSWAX=y' isn't it ?
-> Is your V2 kernel supposed to work out of the box with PAC-man KK ROM ?
-> What settings should i use with your V2 kernel in order to maximize battery life ? My priorities are : stability, battery life and then performance...

Congratulations for your great work and thank you for taking time to answer me ;)

Thanks bro, that's a typo indeed! :) Though its always booted for e even with that typo for some reason xD. Will commit a change to fix that, ty.

Sent from my GS3 on BeanStalk 4.4 using Tapatalk 4

burt_ie

Jan 9, 2012
Looks good, will give this a try.

It's been a while since I've flashed any custom kernels so just to make sure do I push this with fastboot?

Thanks

Sent from my TF300T

gd6noob

Apr 29, 2011
Trickster MOD is an app that can tweak the kernel settings... you dont need it but if you dont know what your doing, you can mess up your tablet..

k-kuchen

Oct 17, 2013
Trickster MOD is an app that can tweak the kernel settings... you dont need it but if you dont know what your doing, you can mess up your tablet..

What kernel settings do you suggest for good battery life and acceptable performance?

I was asking about TricksterMOD because this didn't sound like it was optional:
Using AOKP or OmniRom? You will need this:
Trickster MOD app to configure: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bigeyes0x0.trickstermod
TricksterMOD can apply settings at boot, which I highly recommend turning on.

Last edited:

hardslog

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 17, 2009
One suggestion for your githiub:

It looks like you are uploading to github after you have compiled the kernel. As a result, all the "compiled" stuff is getting uploaded which would make it impossible for someone to cherry pick your commits or even reference them for their own. I would suggest cleaning out the compiled stuff before committing to github, as in using the "make clean" command before making the commits. I hope this make sense because I'm pretty new to github and am still trying to find my way with it too.

Reactions: ebildude123

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

KYl4rgv.png

A simple kernel for the average user

This thread is for the TF300T version of the kernel. For the ME301T version, click here: GEASS for ME301T

GO TO THE SECOND POST FOR F2FS DOWNLOADS & INFO! :D

GEASS is aimed at a compromise between good battery life and high performance.

*Based off of CM kernel: https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_kernel_asus_tf300t/tree/cm-11.0
    *Overclock CPU to 1.7 GHz
    *Overclock GPU up to 7xx MHz (I would recommend 650 max for stability)
    *Adds SIO, V(R), Deadline, SIOplus, Zen I/O schedulers
    *Adds Pegasusq, OndemandX, InteractiveX, Asswax, SmartassV2, Wheatley CPU governors
    *Adds init.d support, insecure kernel
    *Supports "adb reboot apx" to boot into APX mode
    *Dynamic fsync
    *TCP congestion control: cubic (recommended), westwood (recommended), vegas, veno, low priority, yeah, htcp, hstcp, hybla, scalable, illinois
    *No need for ASUS performance profiles to set CPU speeds
    *Compatible with TF201 on TF300T ROMs and 4.2 BL as well
    *Compiled with Linaro 4.8.3 Toolchain optimized for Cortex A9s, which is found in Tegra 3

Download: Geass_Public7.zip (AndroidFileHost.com)

If you are using PacMan ROM please use the PAC compatible kernel download instead: Geass_Public7_PAC.zip

Source: https://github.com/ebildude123/Geass-Kernel-TF300T

Recommended ROM: CyanogenMod; but works with all KitKat ROMs.

Enable performance settings in most ROMs: About device > tap build number until developer options are enabled. Go back to settings and find performance section.

Use Trickster Mod to take full advantage of this kernel.

Screenshots (not up to date):

Dp3RGj6.png

xyZxpgK.png

SPFON59.png

jMMHcJG.png

Antutu Benchmark (16665):

Settings used in screenshot below:
    SmartassV2 CPU governor
    Noop I/O scheduler
    CPU clocked to 1.7GHz
    GPU clocked to 600MHz

shYQ4Z2.png

Changelog:
    Code:
    *Public7 (#7): 7th public release (bug fixes, enable tcp congestion algos, merge in upstream changes from CM, frandom support if you wish to use it)
    *Public6 (#6): 6th public release (no more need for performance profiles, custom GPU overclocking (Go to specific section in trickstermod), cpu OC for TF201 (Prime))
    *Public5 (#5): 5th public release (adds smartassv2 and wheatley cpu governor, adds apx reboot mode "adb reboot apx")
    *Public4 (#4): 4th public release (adds pegasusq cpu governor, adds dynamic fsync, adds zen and sioplus i/o schedulers, insecure kernel [ro.secure=0], "fix 32-bit overflow in get_monotonic_boottime")
    *Public3 (#3): 3rd public release (adds VR scheduler, enables deadline scheduler, fixes)
    *Public2 (#2): 2nd public release (adds interactivex, init.d support)
    *Public1 (#1): initial release (asswax, ondemandX, OC 1.7ghz, sio scheduler)

F2FS Kernel and Recovery​

ONLY FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS IF YOU WISH TO TRY F2FS (FLASH FRIENDLY FILE SYSTEM)!
    USE THE DOWNLOAD FROM THE FIRST POST FOR NORMAL KERNEL DOWNLOAD!

What is F2FS?
    F2FS (Flash-Friendly File System) is a flash file system created by Kim Jaegeuk (Hangul: 김재극}) at Samsung for the Linux operating system kernel.[2]
    The motive for F2FS was to build a file system that from the start takes into account the characteristics of NAND flash memory-based storage devices (such as solid-state disks, eMMC, and SD cards), which are widely used in computer systems ranging from mobile devices to servers.
    Samsung chose a log-structured file system approach, which it adapted to newer forms of storage. F2FS also remedies some known issues[3] of the older log structured file systems, such as the snowball effect of wandering trees and high cleaning overhead. Because a NAND-based storage device shows different characteristics according to its internal geometry or flash memory management scheme (such as the Flash Translation Layer or FTL), Samsung also added various parameters not only for configuring on-disk layout, but also for selecting allocation and cleaning algorithms.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F2FS

Code:
    import this.is.your.standard.disclaimer;
    public class youHaveBeenWarned
    {
    public static void main() {
    System.out.println("[B][COLOR="Red"]I am not responsible if you damage or brick your device, encounter data loss or corruption, etc.[/COLOR][/B]");
    System.out.println("[B][COLOR="red"]At your own risk![/COLOR][/B]"); 
    }
    }

Compatible ROMs
    CyanogenMod 11, OmniROM 4.4, CROMBi-kk, Probably SlimKAT (untested)

Downloads
    TWRP 2.7 for F2FS only: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407580523
    GEASS v7-f2fs for F2FS only: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407582438

Steps: Read every single word and follow carefully!
    1. Backup all your apps, data, music, videos, etc. to your PC or some other external location. They will be lost!
    2. Download TWRP 2.7 for F2FS found above in this post. Reboot to your recovery, and flash it. Now boot into android (must).
    3. Once in android, download GEASS for f2fs found above in this same post. Reboot to your recovery, and flash it. Now boot into android (must).
    4. You will see something along the lines of Encryption Unsuccessful. This is normal.
    5. Power off your device (hold power button and select power off).
    6. Hold both power and volume down to power your device back on. You should see 3 icons, the first being RCK.
    7. Hit volume up once you've confirmed RCK is selected (it should be by default.)
    8. You should now be in recovery, and it should say "2.7.0.0-Geass".
    9. Hit "Wipe" > "Format Data". When prompted, type "yes" and hit the enter key.
    10. It should say it is formatting with mkfs.f2fs.
    11. When that is complete, reboot into android.
    12. Go through the ROM setup. If you want to double check you're on f2fs, open up terminal emulator and type "mount | grep f2fs" (no quotes) and make sure the /data partition is there (/dev/block/mmcblk0p8). (optional)
    13. REMEMBER!: Whenever you are flashing or upgrading a ROM, either remove the boot.blob from the zip before flashing, or flash the F2FS kernel afterwards. For CROMBi-KK, pick "Do Not Flash a Kernel" option when it asks for you to choose a kernel, but still reflash the kernel to get the modules it installs.

Want to use a different kernel and still use F2FS?
    These instructions will still apply!
    Other confirmed working kernels ( besides GEASS ;) ): _that v9 f2fs

Thanks To
    Alex Page (F2FS kernel patch for tegra3)
    @scanno (For this commit I needed for twrp -> https://github.com/omnirom/android_...mmit/3ce32690475d0dca09ae459f1ea75534b599bab2)

Please hit the thanks button if this helped. :)
    Hey guys going to have some good stuff to post soon :)
    built twrp and kernel working with f2fs.
    running F2FS on data right now :D
    zIgIOtv.jpg
    Also if you guys didn't notice PACman is compatible now if you use the download for PAC :)
    For CM/OmniRom/etc. you should still use the normal download.
    Public release #4 is now posted.

Changelog (also found in first post):
    Code:
    *adds pegasusq cpu scheduler
    *adds dynamic fsync
    *adds zen and sioplus i/o schedulers
    *insecure kernel (ro.secure=0 in ramdisk)
    *"fix 32-bit overflow in get_monotonic_boottime"
    Also found on github: https://github.com/ebildude123/Geass-Kernel-TF300T/commits/master

Personally I have been using pegasusq + vr with no problems. :)

Download link is in first post as always, thanks. :good: