Small fall....large damage

Search This thread

mantrajt

May 3, 2009
Hi. Built quality has just disappointed me.

I usually take good care of all my gadgets. Recently my note 10.1 2014 had a fall slow motion fall....the result...the outer rim deformed and now it squeaks every time I hold from there. Pretty annoying also becuase I dont know what will happen as ti e goes by. So I guess Samsung doesn't consider humans may gently drop their toys...

Very sad.....I would really like better material choice as my note 10.1 first edition also suffered of lots of noises and NEVER EVER fell...

Enviado desde mi SM-P600 mediante Tapatalk

thomlh

Nov 14, 2013

I usually take good care of all my gadgets. Recently my note 10.1 2014 had a fall slow motion fall....the result...the outer rim deformed and now it squeaks every time I hold from there. Pretty annoying also becuase I dont know what will happen as ti e goes by. So I guess Samsung doesn't consider humans may gently drop their toys...

Very sad.....I would really like better material choice as my note 10.1 first edition also suffered of lots of noises and NEVER EVER fell...

did you have a cover on it?

thomlh

Nov 14, 2013
No. Unfortunately no cover yet but I believe thes expensive toys should be able to resist some damage cover less.

Agreed, I was just wondering which cover if at all.

I have a fairly big cover on mine just for that reason, I do tend to drop things :(

Thunn

Jan 7, 2014

Actually it doesn't even have to be dropped to get that. This is my second note 10.1 2014 and I returned the first one because it was squeaking on the left side, it was really annoying. After returning it I got an iPad Air because of Samsung's typical build quality issues. But after using iPad for 2 days I couldn't like it. It was really like a toy after Note. I couldn't live with a 10 inch, 600 dollars tablet that you can't even do real multitasking on. I returned it and got my second Note. Yesterday I realized there is some squeaking on the upper side now. I didn't drop it or something. I think the cause of this issue is the chrome bezels. They can get loose too easy. But what the hell this is the best tablet for me in the market right now and although I don't like this build quality issues I love almost everything about this tablet other than that after an unpleasant 2 day experience with iPad Air. I hope they deal with this build quality issues like they did with the software (the new Magazine UX). Then this tablet will be unrivaled.

Last edited:
Reactions: Geordie Affy

mantrajt

May 3, 2009
Actually it doesn't even have to be dropped to get that. This is my second note 10.1 2014 and I returned the first one because it was squeaking on the left side, it was really annoying. After returning it I got an iPad Air because of Samsung's typical build quality issues. But after using iPad for 2 days I couldn't like it. It was really like a toy after Note. I couldn't live with a 10 inch, 600 dollars tablet that you can't even do real multitasking on. I returned it and got my second Note. Yesterday I realized there is some squeaking on the upper side now. I didn't drop it or something. I think the cause of this issue is the chrome bezels. They can get loose too easy. But what the hell this is the best tablet for me in the market right now and although I don't like this build quality issues I love almost everything about this tablet other than that after an unpleasant 2 day experience with iPad Air. I hope they deal with this build quality issues like they did with the software (the new Magazine UX). Then this tablet will be unrivaled.

I believe I will have to embrace your philosophy.... what the hell this is the best tablet for me in the market right now and although I don't like this build quality issues I love almost everything about this tablet

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Guys, these aren't ballistic missile launchers built to zero fault tolerances. They are mass produced consumer electronics that are in a lot of cases built in third world or emerging countries by workers that are paid peanuts. A 2% defect rate in consumer electronics is considered excellent. So if Samsung sells 5M N10.1-14's 100K people are going to draw the short straw and experience some type of out-of-box issue. As for Apple, get serious. Go to an iPad Air (or any Apple product) discussion forum and you'll find plenty of QC and defect posts. They aren't immune and charge prices even more premium than Samsung does.

One of the consequences of thinner lighter mobile devices is that they have smaller bezels and there's less mass to distribute the impact of a fall over. Also, no two drops or falls are ever the same; how a device fares depends on the point of impact and what material it's dropped on. I'd fully expect the N10.1-14 to be more fragile than my ex-N10.1-12 simply because of its reduced dimensions. Sure Samsung could probably have added more internal reinforcement or chosen different materials but that would have added weight and/or bulk. The thinness, trimness, and lightness of the N10.1-14 was its second most attractive feature to me after its display. So, personally, I'm willing (and assumed so beforehand) to except the trade-off and am extra careful in handling it. BTW, I've dropped mine twice (on carpet) and it's no worse for wear.

Geordie Affy

Oct 21, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Tbh i would say a cracked screen is large damage but yeah what Barry said, no device is immune from damage unfortunatly. Still not nice hearing youve damaged your note a little - hopefully it doesnt get any worse.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.