[GINGERBREAD] Android 2.3 port from SDK for Dream (2708 kernel)

Search This thread

bypass23

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 29, 2008
Sherbrooke, QC
AOSP 2.3 has been released and this thread is now useless ;)

If you wanna follow our work with aosp 2.3.1 for dream/sapphire :

Source Code Repo for Gingerbread (Dream and Sapphire builds)

Compiled builds

MODs bootanimation, superuser, terminal emulator, live wall papers support, google apps, market 2.2.7, etc...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since people were asking for it, here is a quick port for the G1

Thanks and credits goes to :
-pershoot using his kernel boot-cm_2635.9_ds_32b_radio2708-oc-uv-xtra-ram-fp-120810
-seo using mostly his port for magic as base

I'm currently using the 14MB ram hack with radio 2.22.28.25 & hboot 1.33.0013d with CM6.1
If you are not you need to follow these steps first : 2708+ enabled kernel [14MB ram with radio 2.22.27.08/2.22.28.25 & hboot 1.33.0013d]

OR

you can always try to flash a non 2708 kernel from pershoot like boot-cm_2635.9_ds_32b-oc-uv-xtra-ram-fp-120810 after flashing this ROM but I have'nt tested it myself.

working : data/radio but like all other ports no mic
not working : mostly everything ;)

seo has wifi working on magic, I'm looking into his wpa_supplicant.exec script but changing wlan.ko and driver did'nt worked.

For wiping I suggest using Ohsaka SuperWipe as the update script does'nt wipe /data partition. :eek:

Download link : here

Attachments

• ss.png
    ss.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 3,010
  • ss1.png
    ss1.png
    58.9 KB · Views: 2,585
  • ss2.png
    ss2.png
    71.5 KB · Views: 2,560
  • ss3.png
    ss3.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 2,385
  • ss4.png
    ss4.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 2,527
  • ss5.png
    ss5.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 2,364
Last edited:

ciby

Jan 6, 2009
bypass23 thanks your hard work
flashed already,It runs slowly...
no wifi
no BT
can not set time&date
but i believe 2.3 will come to G1 and work great

ra100x

Jul 14, 2010
Prague
I've got a problem,
I nand backuped my phone, wiped, flashed 2.3, wiped, and nand restored my previous backup, and now my HOME and CALL button is not working, when I press them, no response

do you have any ideas what could it cause? how to fix this?

bypass23

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 29, 2008
Sherbrooke, QC
I've got a problem,
I nand backuped my phone, wiped, flashed 2.3, wiped, and nand restored my previous backup, and now my HOME and CALL button is not working, when I press them, no response

do you have any ideas what could it cause? how to fix this?

I just did a SuperWipe + nand restore to CM6.1 and both HOME and CALL buttons are working properly.

I just added a link for Ohsaka's SuperWipe in the OP, use it to wipe before doing your restore. (needs to be flashed)

ra100x

Jul 14, 2010
Prague
I just did a SuperWipe + nand restore to CM6.1 and both HOME and CALL buttons are working properly.

I just added a link for Ohsaka's SuperWipe in the OP, use it to wipe before doing your restore. (needs to be flashed)

thanks, but I wiped it with Ohsaka SuperWipe, before and after 2.3, I don't understand, I'll try it again, but I'll try to fix_permissions first, don't think it could have something with my issue, but it's worth trying :)

and one more thing, my PC now doesn't recognize my phone as USB device, will try something and post results :)

A

AdrianK

thanks, but I wiped it with Ohsaka SuperWipe, before and after 2.3, I don't understand, I'll try it again, but I'll try to fix_permissions first, don't think it could have something with my issue, but it's worth trying :)

and one more thing, my PC now doesn't recognize my phone as USB device, will try something and post results :)

Flash a stock ROM? It's probably a good idea to make a new thread for your issue tbh, since it's not really that relevant to the ROM.

ZXYannis

Nov 15, 2010
China
I flashed it ,it's slowly....and can not change time setting`` it is not perfect````and now just need to wait for the new 2.3 rom for G1 and wish it more better....:D

Last edited:

Dukenukemx

Jul 24, 2008
Jersey
You just some-what single-handedly saved the G1 from dying out. Mine was stolen a while ago, but I still check back on this Thread and I'm so happy you took the time to Port the ROM. Great job my friend.

It sounds more like it's on life support, and a lot of people (mainly developers) wanna pull the plug. To them, the G1 phones are nothing but a waste of time, when compared to a lot of the newer phones on the market.

The reality though, it isn't much different then a lot of new phones on the market. I gotta have a hardware keyboard, and that limits me to the myTouch 3G Slide, and the G2. Frankly, the Slide is essentially the same thing as my G1, with lots more memory, and a better camera. My friend replaced his G1 with the Cliq, and he thought it was an upgrade, but didn't understand why Angry Birds was still slow? :rolleyes:

So long as there's App2SD applications, over priced phones, and smart coders, the G1 lives on.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    AOSP 2.3 has been released and this thread is now useless ;)

If you wanna follow our work with aosp 2.3.1 for dream/sapphire :

Source Code Repo for Gingerbread (Dream and Sapphire builds)

Compiled builds

MODs bootanimation, superuser, terminal emulator, live wall papers support, google apps, market 2.2.7, etc...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since people were asking for it, here is a quick port for the G1

Thanks and credits goes to :
    -pershoot using his kernel boot-cm_2635.9_ds_32b_radio2708-oc-uv-xtra-ram-fp-120810
    -seo using mostly his port for magic as base

I'm currently using the 14MB ram hack with radio 2.22.28.25 & hboot 1.33.0013d with CM6.1
    If you are not you need to follow these steps first : 2708+ enabled kernel [14MB ram with radio 2.22.27.08/2.22.28.25 & hboot 1.33.0013d]

OR

you can always try to flash a non 2708 kernel from pershoot like boot-cm_2635.9_ds_32b-oc-uv-xtra-ram-fp-120810 after flashing this ROM but I have'nt tested it myself.

working : data/radio but like all other ports no mic
    not working : mostly everything ;)

seo has wifi working on magic, I'm looking into his wpa_supplicant.exec script but changing wlan.ko and driver did'nt worked.

For wiping I suggest using Ohsaka SuperWipe as the update script does'nt wipe /data partition. :eek:

Download link : here
    I'm sure there's many new cool things that a more powerful phone could do, but it really isn't there. I did buy a cheap $30 OBDII bluetooth adapter, so that I can use my G1 to get data from my cars. The application I use is Torque, and it really can't do a whole lot, compared to professional tools, or even my laptop.

I have a HTPC at home, that contains a lot of movies I have, and has a capture card to grab digital broadcast TV. Would be nice to be able to stream videos and TV to my cell phone, but there isn't a good app for that. Plus, you'd certainly want to have unlimited bandwidth for this.

Then there's the games, which mostly look like poorly ported flash games. Even Angry Birds, which is a strangely popular game, is poorly done. How does a 2D game run like crap? I got it to work on my G1, and it's somewhat playable. The Android lacks professional games, like Sonic 4 and Rage. Games which the iPhone gets, but not Android. BTW, enjoy a similar game.

The point is, the hardware is there but not the software. I believe that the software developers for the Android, are pricks. Seriously. Extremely lazy, and greedy. Talentless as well. For example, how hard is it to put a quality setting in Angry Birds? That way, a large number of phones could play it, by simply lowering the quality settings. Most flash games have quality settings, which is what most Android games seem to be based off.

Another example is Quake 3 Arena. For the PC, the original requirements were a 233 Mhz CPU, with 64 MB of ram. The G1 has a 528 Mhz, which most of us overclock, and 192 MB of ram. I know I'm comparing Apples to Oranges here, but I would like to think my G1 should be somewhat capable of Quake 3. The ioquake3 port doesn't even produce sound. How poorly optimized are these games anyway?

Finally, there's emulators. I have to give a lot of credit to the guy who makes those Nesoid, Gensoid, and SNESoid emulators. They work reasonably well. PSX4droid though, doesn't. On my G1, it runs horribly slow. Bleem!, which is the fastest PlayStation emulator for the PC, only needs a 233 Mhz Pentium with 16MB of ram. Both are commercial emulators btw. Just another example, FPSCE for Windows Mobile runs 2D PlayStation games, playable on my old Kaiser, which is using a slower CPU then my G1. I really doubt that the PSX4droid emulator was 100% made by the developer. I'm certain he liberated code from other open source emulators.

Just feels like I'm being forced to get a better phone, cause developers wanna suck at coding. It will require more work, period. The Android isn't an iPhone, and will have a variety of hardware. They want 1 phone to rule the Android kingdom, and it kinda feels like they choose the Verizon Droids. It especially irritates me when PCs that are 10 years old, and 5X less powerful, could do more then a G1. Maybe it's cause the G1 uses Java, but I'd doubt it. I've seen pretty well optimized applications on my G1. The way it feels like right now, I'd be happier if they could miniaturize a Pentium @ 233 Mhz, and make an application for send and receive phone calls within Windows 95.

It's a long rant, but I felt like I had to say it.
    Dude, you just bashed everyone that has ever been apart of the Android development.. First of all, all of the Android games are made in Java. Second of all, the people that made those games ARE NOT professionals, they are your normal every day people who in their free time, develop games for people to hopefully enjoy, It's not like Apple where every good game is made by pro's, as far as I know, the iOS has a different coding language for the devs to make games. Android is open sourced so ANYONE can make something for it, that means that even every day people can make an app or game, its not like that everyone is a pro and is capable of making a good game. On the iPhone/iPod/iPad, there is more games and apps that are made by professionals because unlike Android, when you develop an app, you only have to make the game/app compatible with one device and on Android, you have to develop the app to be compatible with MANY devices and different versions of the Android operating systems, like 1.5, 1.6, 2.0/2.1, 2.2, and now 2.3 and will screens of all different resolutions, in fact, the developers of that I Am T-Pain app(the one that auto-tunes your voice) have said that they will not port the app to Android because it would cost them more money than they would like because they have to make it compatible with alot of different versions of the Android OS. People have to PORT emulators to the Android OS in JAVA, and I'm pretty sure that no emulator is originally coded in Java, the iOS uses Objective-C which I'm guessing is sorta like C+ or another of the C coding languages, I would think that it would be easier to port emulators to Objective C as it is in Java. And secondly if an emulator is running slow, especially the PSX emulator, then its just YOUR phone, that emulator even says in the v2 verion of it(the newest one) that it is for HIGH-END Android devices, don't expect a G1 to do it, if you would read the comments, people say that it is smooth for them on a Nexus One. And third of all, Angry Birds is also on the Apple App Store and I'm pretty sure that that doesn't have quality settings either. And I would think that theres not an app on the Apple App store to stream movies from home either.(though you can use TVersity on the web browser too, but so can Android, but with Android, you need a phone thats capable of using Flash Player 10.1 EDIT: which btw, the iOS does not have and have said that its users "do not" want flash on their phone.) I hope that when your done reading this, you won't bash Android anymore.
    You realy got point there, many people doesen't have in mind the price of G1 and what you get for that price. I doesen't have realy high res camera with flash but for a price of upgrade you can buy 2 digital cameras wich would take better pictures than any anroid phone. Also you pay for better cpu, ram, gpu for what?
    So you can play multitouch 3d games on mobile phone. You can buy PSP then, or something similar.

I'm sure there's many new cool things that a more powerful phone could do, but it really isn't there. I did buy a cheap $30 OBDII bluetooth adapter, so that I can use my G1 to get data from my cars. The application I use is Torque, and it really can't do a whole lot, compared to professional tools, or even my laptop.

I have a HTPC at home, that contains a lot of movies I have, and has a capture card to grab digital broadcast TV. Would be nice to be able to stream videos and TV to my cell phone, but there isn't a good app for that. Plus, you'd certainly want to have unlimited bandwidth for this.

Then there's the games, which mostly look like poorly ported flash games. Even Angry Birds, which is a strangely popular game, is poorly done. How does a 2D game run like crap? I got it to work on my G1, and it's somewhat playable. The Android lacks professional games, like Sonic 4 and Rage. Games which the iPhone gets, but not Android. BTW, enjoy a similar game.

The point is, the hardware is there but not the software. I believe that the software developers for the Android, are pricks. Seriously. Extremely lazy, and greedy. Talentless as well. For example, how hard is it to put a quality setting in Angry Birds? That way, a large number of phones could play it, by simply lowering the quality settings. Most flash games have quality settings, which is what most Android games seem to be based off.

Another example is Quake 3 Arena. For the PC, the original requirements were a 233 Mhz CPU, with 64 MB of ram. The G1 has a 528 Mhz, which most of us overclock, and 192 MB of ram. I know I'm comparing Apples to Oranges here, but I would like to think my G1 should be somewhat capable of Quake 3. The ioquake3 port doesn't even produce sound. How poorly optimized are these games anyway?

Finally, there's emulators. I have to give a lot of credit to the guy who makes those Nesoid, Gensoid, and SNESoid emulators. They work reasonably well. PSX4droid though, doesn't. On my G1, it runs horribly slow. Bleem!, which is the fastest PlayStation emulator for the PC, only needs a 233 Mhz Pentium with 16MB of ram. Both are commercial emulators btw. Just another example, FPSCE for Windows Mobile runs 2D PlayStation games, playable on my old Kaiser, which is using a slower CPU then my G1. I really doubt that the PSX4droid emulator was 100% made by the developer. I'm certain he liberated code from other open source emulators.

Just feels like I'm being forced to get a better phone, cause developers wanna suck at coding. It will require more work, period. The Android isn't an iPhone, and will have a variety of hardware. They want 1 phone to rule the Android kingdom, and it kinda feels like they choose the Verizon Droids. It especially irritates me when PCs that are 10 years old, and 5X less powerful, could do more then a G1. Maybe it's cause the G1 uses Java, but I'd doubt it. I've seen pretty well optimized applications on my G1. The way it feels like right now, I'd be happier if they could miniaturize a Pentium @ 233 Mhz, and make an application for send and receive phone calls within Windows 95.

It's a long rant, but I felt like I had to say it.