[APP][2.3+] VideoBee -> Netup: Combine WiFi and Cellular for Faster Mobile Internet

Search This thread

ShoelaceWireless

Nov 5, 2013
Irvine
www.shoelacewireless.com
[APP][2.3+] VideoBee -> Netup: Combine WiFi and Cellular for Faster Mobile Internet

NETUP: The first Android app that makes Internet on your mobile device faster and more reliable by combining Wi-Fi and cellular connections.

Front Page Post by egzthunder1:
From the Creators of VideoBee – Enter Netup
Netup is an ambitious Kickstarter project by XDA Senior Member ShoelaceWireless, who also brought you VideoBee. It aims at making a device's internet connection faster for all apps by combining cellular data and Wifi data into one. How fast can your device go? Go in and find out!

News:
  • Jan 13, 2015: Netup is featured on the XDA Portal. Big thanks to egzthunder1!
  • Jan 10, 2015: Netup is now 100-backer strong! Back us now for faster mobile Internet bit.ly/get-netup and get your FREE 1-month service, too! bit.ly/free-netup
  • Dec. 16, 2014: We have launched the Kickstarter Campaign for Netup. Back us now for faster mobile Internet and help us spread the word!
  • Dec, 2014: As you all requested, we developed Netup, the evolution of VideoBee that can combine WiFi and cellular to boost all your apps. Our Kickstarter campaign for Netup will launch on Dec. 16. Please help us spread the word and sign up here for notification.

Demo:

Benefits:
Netup makes mobile Internet faster, more reliable, and cheaper by intelligently combining Wi-Fi and cellular networks when most needed.

-----------------------------------------------

THE ORIGINAL VIDEOBEE

Demo:

News:
  • Dec 29, 2014: VideoBee now officially supports Android 5.0 Lollipop. Get the latest APK here, or directly from the Play store.
  • Oct 3, 2014: We just added support for NCT (NhacCuaTui), featuring the latest English music videos, alongside Korean and Vietnamese videos.
  • Sep 18, 2014: We just updated VideoBee to fully support Zing Mp3.
  • Aug 18, 2014: Get the most out of your cellular data! Introducing Smart Dual: intelligently monitor your streaming experience and only enable cellular when WiFi is insufficient.
  • Aug 3, 2014: The latest versions of VideoBee (v0.4.1+) allow you to enjoy your videos uninterruptedly while moving between networks.
  • Jul 11, 2014: Version 0.4 is released with support for YouTube HD streaming!
  • May 24, 2014: Version 0.3 is released with support for LIVE STREAMING!
  • Mar 15, 2014: Version 0.2 is released!
  • Mar 13, 2014: Hongkiat blog posted a featured article on VideoBee.
  • Jan 16, 2014: VideoBee gets a featured article on Android Pipe.
  • Dec 29, 2013: VideoBee Open Beta version is released!
  • Dec 19, 2013: The Brazillian Mobile Time has a featured article on VideoBee (in Portuguese).
  • Dec 16, 2013: We did an interview with Allison from NosillaCast. Also check out their blog post about us.
  • Dec 5, 2013: Just found out an article about VideoBee in Spanish at Androidayuda by José M. López. Thanks!
  • Dec 4, 2013: We just released version 21 that provides full support for KitKat! This version also has Facebook and Twitter integration.
  • Nov 25, 2013: Next version of VideoBee supporting KitKat is coming this week. We are in final testing stage!
  • Nov 14, 2013: We presented among the cutting-edge start-ups on Innovation Day at MEF
  • Nov 10, 2013: VideoBee now got 1500+ testers on board.
  • Nov 9, 2013: Thanks so much for the overwhelming positive responses: 850 and counting. I am sending out the invitation as soon as I can.
  • Nov 8, 2013: The front-page portal article by egzthunder1. Thanks!

Latest APK:
You can get VideoBee on Google Play and can also download the latest APK here.

Original post:

Hello XDA members,

My name is Anh and I am part of a mobile startup company, Shoelace Wireless. I have been around the XDA forums for a while and decided this community would be a great place to share our new project as a Private Beta.

VideoBee is a showcase app for a networking technology we developed that enables a user to make use of cellular, WiFi, and Bluetooth connections simultaneously in order to stream videos faster.

Features include:
  • Solo mode (one device): VideoBee essentially provides Samsung Galaxy S5 Download Booster for videos but not limited to just Galaxy S5 or LTE. It uses both WiFi and cellular networks at the same time (instead of switching between them) to increase your speed. No more stalling!
  • Group mode (two devices): this mode allows you to create a group and connect two nearby devices through Bluetooth. It then combines the bandwidth from both devices to stream the video faster. You can watch the same video on both devices or just on one of them (and use the second screen for statistics). During Beta, group mode is limited to two devices.

Sites supported
  • Video streaming: VideoBee currently helps you to stream your favorite videos from YouTube, Yahoo Screen, Vimeo, Metacafe, Dailymotion, as well as live channels from Ustream (Android 4.0+), using their familiar web interfaces. (Due to Yahoo Screen and Dailymotion restrictions, some videos may not support Solo Mode: WiFi + cellular.)
  • Video download: VideoBee now supports download of videos from Yahoo Screen, Vimeo, Dailymotion, and Metacafe, at high speed in Solo mode or Group mode.

VideoBee does NOT require root and works on 99% of Android devices (2.3.3+)

We are planning on adding more features, but for now we are debugging and working out any issues we currently have in the app. We are seeking your feedback and thoughts on the technology, any bugs you may find, and also any suggestions for improvements or new features you would like us to implement. Please give us your feedback using the in-app Feedback button, or in this thread, or send your thoughts to dev@shoelacewireless.com.

Thank you all so much for making XDA the community that it is!

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):

- Q: Why does it stop buffering after a while?
A: VideoBee currently only pre-fetches 30MB of the currently playing video. When the video progresses, it will fetch more.

Stay in touch with us:
Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ShoelaceWireless
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ShoelaceW
Connect with us on Google Plus: http://www.google.com/+Shoelacewireless0
Visit us at: http://www.shoelacewireless.com/

Last edited:

Wohee

Jul 9, 2011
Oklahoma City
Looks great! Just signed up for the beta. Can't wait to finally watch a stable stream of HD quality video on my potato WiFi + LTE Data and save a bit more on my monthly plan.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Reactions: ShoelaceWireless

Arthemedus

Aug 3, 2013
Question

How exactly does the dual network streaming (Data+WiFi) work from a technical standpoint?
AFAIK I thought this was near impossible other than using wifi and downloading an mms (at least in my experiences), and also that same "feature" was touted in the iPhone 5s as being able to simultaneously draw data from both at the same time.

ShoelaceWireless

Nov 5, 2013
Irvine
www.shoelacewireless.com
Hi all, I just sent out another batch of invitation. Please let me know how the app works for you.

There is one of you with email starting with "bluebo.." gave an invalid email. Please resend me the correct email for the invitation.

How exactly does the dual network streaming (Data+WiFi) work from a technical standpoint?
AFAIK I thought this was near impossible other than using wifi and downloading an mms (at least in my experiences), and also that same "feature" was touted in the iPhone 5s as being able to simultaneously draw data from both at the same time.

@Arthemedus: iPhone 5s has "MultiPath TCP" experimentally implemented just for Siri, and the second path is used as just a backup path at the moment. Reliable source on this topic can be found here: http://mptcp.info.ucl.ac.be/. I can't disclose how VideoBee does it as we have some patents pending.

Thank you for the app. Is there any way you could upload the apk to your OP? Reason being is that many people have no access to google apps (and many simply choose not to use them at all).

@egzthunder1: Thanks for signing up! For this private beta stage, we would like to limit the number of installations (simply to be able to fix bugs before they spread out too much). For this reason, I prefer not to post the apk publicly. I'll consider it when VideoBee goes Open Beta.

egzthunder1

Admin Emeritus - Spirit of XDA
Hi all, I just sent out another batch of invitation. Please let me know how the app works for you.

There is one of you with email starting with "bluebo.." gave an invalid email. Please resend me the correct email for the invitation.

@Arthemedus: iPhone 5s has "MultiPath TCP" experimentally implemented just for Siri, and the second path is used as just a backup path at the moment. Reliable source on this topic can be found here: http://mptcp.info.ucl.ac.be/. I can't disclose how VideoBee does it as we have some patents pending.

@egzthunder1: Thanks for signing up! For this private beta stage, we would like to limit the number of installations (simply to be able to fix bugs before they spread out too much). For this reason, I prefer not to post the apk publicly. I'll consider it when VideoBee goes Open Beta.

Fair enough answer, but by having posted it in the Play store, you will get a metric ton of installations anyways. I alone installed it in 2 separate devices already....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

NETUP: The first Android app that makes Internet on your mobile device faster and more reliable by combining Wi-Fi and cellular connections.

Front Page Post by egzthunder1:
    From the Creators of VideoBee – Enter Netup
    Netup is an ambitious Kickstarter project by XDA Senior Member ShoelaceWireless, who also brought you VideoBee. It aims at making a device's internet connection faster for all apps by combining cellular data and Wifi data into one. How fast can your device go? Go in and find out!

News:
    • Jan 13, 2015: Netup is featured on the XDA Portal. Big thanks to egzthunder1!
    • Jan 10, 2015: Netup is now 100-backer strong! Back us now for faster mobile Internet bit.ly/get-netup and get your FREE 1-month service, too! bit.ly/free-netup
    • Dec. 16, 2014: We have launched the Kickstarter Campaign for Netup. Back us now for faster mobile Internet and help us spread the word!
    • Dec, 2014: As you all requested, we developed Netup, the evolution of VideoBee that can combine WiFi and cellular to boost all your apps. Our Kickstarter campaign for Netup will launch on Dec. 16. Please help us spread the word and sign up here for notification.

Demo:

Benefits:
    Netup makes mobile Internet faster, more reliable, and cheaper by intelligently combining Wi-Fi and cellular networks when most needed.

-----------------------------------------------

THE ORIGINAL VIDEOBEE

Demo:

News:
    • Dec 29, 2014: VideoBee now officially supports Android 5.0 Lollipop. Get the latest APK here, or directly from the Play store.
    • Oct 3, 2014: We just added support for NCT (NhacCuaTui), featuring the latest English music videos, alongside Korean and Vietnamese videos.
    • Sep 18, 2014: We just updated VideoBee to fully support Zing Mp3.
    • Aug 18, 2014: Get the most out of your cellular data! Introducing Smart Dual: intelligently monitor your streaming experience and only enable cellular when WiFi is insufficient.
    • Aug 3, 2014: The latest versions of VideoBee (v0.4.1+) allow you to enjoy your videos uninterruptedly while moving between networks.
    • Jul 11, 2014: Version 0.4 is released with support for YouTube HD streaming!
    • May 24, 2014: Version 0.3 is released with support for LIVE STREAMING!
    • Mar 15, 2014: Version 0.2 is released!
    • Mar 13, 2014: Hongkiat blog posted a featured article on VideoBee.
    • Jan 16, 2014: VideoBee gets a featured article on Android Pipe.
    • Dec 29, 2013: VideoBee Open Beta version is released!
    • Dec 19, 2013: The Brazillian Mobile Time has a featured article on VideoBee (in Portuguese).
    • Dec 16, 2013: We did an interview with Allison from NosillaCast. Also check out their blog post about us.
    • Dec 5, 2013: Just found out an article about VideoBee in Spanish at Androidayuda by José M. López. Thanks!
    • Dec 4, 2013: We just released version 21 that provides full support for KitKat! This version also has Facebook and Twitter integration.
    • Nov 25, 2013: Next version of VideoBee supporting KitKat is coming this week. We are in final testing stage!
    • Nov 14, 2013: We presented among the cutting-edge start-ups on Innovation Day at MEF
    • Nov 10, 2013: VideoBee now got 1500+ testers on board.
    • Nov 9, 2013: Thanks so much for the overwhelming positive responses: 850 and counting. I am sending out the invitation as soon as I can.
    • Nov 8, 2013: The front-page portal article by egzthunder1. Thanks!

Latest APK:
    You can get VideoBee on Google Play and can also download the latest APK here.

Original post:

Hello XDA members,

My name is Anh and I am part of a mobile startup company, Shoelace Wireless. I have been around the XDA forums for a while and decided this community would be a great place to share our new project as a Private Beta.

VideoBee is a showcase app for a networking technology we developed that enables a user to make use of cellular, WiFi, and Bluetooth connections simultaneously in order to stream videos faster.

Features include:
    • Solo mode (one device): VideoBee essentially provides Samsung Galaxy S5 Download Booster for videos but not limited to just Galaxy S5 or LTE. It uses both WiFi and cellular networks at the same time (instead of switching between them) to increase your speed. No more stalling!
    • Group mode (two devices): this mode allows you to create a group and connect two nearby devices through Bluetooth. It then combines the bandwidth from both devices to stream the video faster. You can watch the same video on both devices or just on one of them (and use the second screen for statistics). During Beta, group mode is limited to two devices.

Sites supported
    • Video streaming: VideoBee currently helps you to stream your favorite videos from YouTube, Yahoo Screen, Vimeo, Metacafe, Dailymotion, as well as live channels from Ustream (Android 4.0+), using their familiar web interfaces. (Due to Yahoo Screen and Dailymotion restrictions, some videos may not support Solo Mode: WiFi + cellular.)
    • Video download: VideoBee now supports download of videos from Yahoo Screen, Vimeo, Dailymotion, and Metacafe, at high speed in Solo mode or Group mode.

VideoBee does NOT require root and works on 99% of Android devices (2.3.3+)

We are planning on adding more features, but for now we are debugging and working out any issues we currently have in the app. We are seeking your feedback and thoughts on the technology, any bugs you may find, and also any suggestions for improvements or new features you would like us to implement. Please give us your feedback using the in-app Feedback button, or in this thread, or send your thoughts to dev@shoelacewireless.com.

Thank you all so much for making XDA the community that it is!

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):

- Q: Why does it stop buffering after a while?
    A: VideoBee currently only pre-fetches 30MB of the currently playing video. When the video progresses, it will fetch more.

Stay in touch with us:
    Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ShoelaceWireless
    Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ShoelaceW
    Connect with us on Google Plus: http://www.google.com/+Shoelacewireless0
    Visit us at: http://www.shoelacewireless.com/
    Sounds fantastic! Will be signing up for this :) Thanks
    Dear all,

Thank you very much for being early testers of VideoBee. With your help and feedback from this community, we have improved VideoBee significantly. Today, we are happy to announce the release of the Open Beta version of VideoBee. The app is now available to the public!

New features in this Open Beta version include the following:
    - Quick Pairing: You can now pair two devices quickly, with two clicks per device, to run VideoBee in group mode
    - Quick Navigation: We added a navigation bar to help you navigate directly to a supported site.
    - Support for Vimeo, in addition to the previous (YouTube, NBC, MetaCafe)
    - and many performance improvements

As this is still a Beta version, we are continuously working on adding features requested directly from you and addressing comments you might still have. So, please continue to give us your feedback and request functionality using the in-app button or post a reply here.

- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ShoelaceWireless
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/ShoelaceW

Last but not least, please help us to spread the word. If you do like the app, please consider giving us a good review on Google Play - this is a very important time for VideoBee. Thanks again for your help in the early stages. :good:
    Why not? Go ahead :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I PM'ed you the Alpha build. Thanks so much for testing!

I improved support for all sites for 4.4. Also, I figured that for 4.4, some carriers force you to use only IPv6 (e.g. T-Mobile). You can check from your Settings -> Access Point Name -> "Your ISP APNs" -> APN Protocol. If this is the case, the app cannot support YouTube. If you can change the setting to IPv4 or IPv4/IPv6 then the app will work with YouTube.

Looking forward to your test results. :good:
    yes videobee download and quite fast.just wanted to knew if it could be improved thanks to frandom module.it is the idea i had but your question is upon my knowledge.sorry i can't answer you... but i think there is something to dig here...to improve things even if the app is already good.
    what do you think about that?

frandom helps with lags caused by apps trying to get many random numbers (and there is not enough entropy at that moment).
    in the case of videobee, the only way it could help, AFAICS, is on cryptography; thus I asked if videobee uses any of those protocols, like ssl.

Understood. Right now VideoBee does only implicitly support SSL, and does not use it (often). I'll keep this in mind whenever I need a large source of random numbers.

In the meanwhile, I just finished the support for KitKat. Will push this out soon. :D