[GUIDE] How to Prepare Your Phone to Return to the Store or for Warranty Replacement

Search This thread

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
Prepare Your Phone to Return to the Store or for Warranty Replacement by following these steps:

1. Read the flash counter to make sure your flash count is at "NO". If it reads "YES (x counts)" then you must buy or build a Jig to reset it to "NO"...
...or use chainfire's "Triangle Away" program (which only work on ICS, Android 4.x)
2. Flash the UCKH7-CL503881 stock kernel and system package using Odin or Heimdall.
3. Deal with any special problems.
4. Do a wipe data/factory reset, and remove any personal or sensitive information that remains on the phone.

Note:

Both new and refurbished SGH-I777 phones are now shipping with Android version 2.3.6, UCKK6. As of this writing, March 24, 2012, there is no release of the UCKK6 firmware on sammobile.com, and no one has pulled the stock UCKK6 firmware and packaged it into an Odin flashable tar. For warranty return of phones that shipped with UCKK6, I recommend flashing the stock UCKH7 package contained in this guide. An alternative would be to flash Entropy512's Return/Unbrick to stock Kernel + cache + rooted UCKK6 system package from here, and then to manually remove the traces of root.

Discussion

The Samsung Galaxy S II contains an internal flash counter which is incremented each time a non-stock binary (kernel/rom) is flashed using Odin or Heimdall. The purpose of the flash counter is believed to be to allow Samsung and or AT&T technicians to detect if the phone has a voided warranty through flashing non-stock firmware. In order to safely return the phone to the store or to a warranty center, it is necessary that the flash counter indicates "NO" custom binary download and "Samsung Official" current binary. If the flash counter has been incremented, it is necessary to reset the flash counter before returning the phone. The only known way to do this on Gingerbread is by using a Micro Usb Jig to place the phone into download mode which resets the flash counter. Since the advent of ICS for the I777, it is also possible to reset the flash counter using chairfire's TriangleAway application, but only while running an ICS rom.

The Jig is a micro usb plug with 301,000 ohms of resistance connected across pins 4 and 5. The use of the Jig became well known in late 2010 when a batch of Samsung Galaxy S Captivate phones were shipped with bootloaders that did not allow a button combination to enter download mode. That was before the Galaxy S II was released, and the only purpose for the Jig was to put the phone into download mode. Shortly after the International version of the Galaxy S II was released in May 2011, it was discovered that using a Jig to place the phone into download mode also resets the flash counter. Some who had a Jig for their Captivate found that the Jig would not work on the Galaxy S II. It seems that the Galaxy S II's tolerance for the 301k ohms is closer than the Captivate was, so if the resistance of the Jig was a little bit out of tolerance, it wouldn't work on the newer phone.

If you are handy, you can build your own jig. There are several threads in the Captivate forums that detail how, either with or without soldering. For a place to start, check out this thread and this one. There are also multiple places that sell pre-made Jigs. Check out dayv's thread in the Accessories forum. I bought a cheap JIG that works for under $2.00 and free shipping. A google search for "where to buy micro usb jig" will bring up a good number of them. Some of these may not be close enough tolerance for the Galaxy S II. Users on this forum have reported good results with Jigs from Moble Tech Videos.

Once your flash counter reads "NO", use Odin or Heimdall to flash the stock kernel, system image and modem. A wipe data/factory reset performed from the phone or from stock 3e recovery, and removing any personal or sensitive information on the internal sdcard, completes the process.

Information from dayv:
Step 1) settings> privacy> factory data reset.
Step 2) Flash with heimdall or Odin

In case you need to repartition, you will need a stock .pit file as well - though as of now as far as I know this is not needed for any reason - none of the roms or kernels in the dev section here in the at&t xda forums would cause any need for a repartition. Take care with .pit and repartitioning as you could end up with a soft brick, a situation that can be recovered from but still not desirable.

And if you have flashed anything containing the boot loaders you will need stock boot loaders too, but be very careful with boot loaders as a mistake with boot loaders can result in a hard brick

Information from pinoymutt:
If you flashed the newer i777 leak that DG posted in the General section (I777UCKJ2) or went a little crazy and accidentally flashed one of the newer firmwares in the SGSII international section -- you'll find that they contain newer bootloaders -- the main difference being that they render the "jig trick" useless for resetting the custom firmware flasher.

This (i777 UCKH7 Secondary Bootloader) will allow you to revert back to the older (stock) bootloader that will let the jig reset the counter.

Most likely as new ROMs are built for our phones, many devs will remove the bootloaders, since it's not really advisable to flash these unless absolutely necessary (which for instance it was on the Captivate when flash from a Eclair/Froyo ROM to a Gingerbread one).

Be forewarned -- DO NOT mess with or flash bootloaders unless you absolutely know what you are doing or are sure you need them. Many things can be recovered from if things go wrong, but a bad bootloader flash can create a nasty "brick" that almost always needs some sort of professional help to undo.

Entropy512 adds:
This (flashing UCKH7 Secondary Bootloader) reverts to current if you flashed the 2.3.5 leak package accidentally.

I would advise:
DO NOT flash this bootloader unless you have flashed a 2.3.5 leak or I9100 ROM that included bootloaders, AND you have confirmed by trying it that using the jig does not reset your flash counter.

If you don't have a jig, this does nothing for you except risk hardbricking.
If you have a jig and it works to reset the custom binary flash counter, this does nothing for you except risk hardbricking.

If you are reading this Guide before you have flashed anything that would increment the flash counter, your best bet woruld be to never increment the flash counter in the first place. It is possible to root and to flash a custom ROM/Kernel without incrementing the flash counter. Please see the Guide: How to Flash Custom Binaries Without Ever Incrementing the Flash Counter!!

1.) How to read the flash counter on an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II
  • Boot into download mode by this method:
    • With the phone powered off, plug in the usb cable while holding the vol up + vol down buttons (but not the power button).
    • When the warning screen appears, press Volume up to continue into download mode.
  • At the top of the screen you will see:
    ODIN MODE
    PRODUCT NAME: SGH-I777
    CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: NO --or-- YES (x counts)
    CURRENT BINARY: SAMSUNG OFFICIAL --or-- CUSTOM
  • Once you have verified the information, remove the usb cable, and hold down the power button until the phone begins to reboot. (Do not do this if you are actually flashing the phone. Interrupting a flash can cause bad things to happen.)
  • You will not see the above information if you enter download mode by another method, ie. by using adb or the power menu, etc.
  • If your Custom Binary Download is NO, proceed to step 2. If your Custom Binary download is YES, your only option to reset this to NO is to use a Jig. The Jig is a micro usb plug with 301k ohms of resistance connected across pins 4 and 5. On the i777 running original bootloaders, it will reset the flash counter to NO as it puts the phone into download mode. You can make your own jig, or purchase one from many sources on the web. See the Discussion above for more information.

2a.) Flash the UCKH7-CL503881 stock kernel and system package using Odin3 One-Click Downloader (Windows)
  • Download the "I777UCKH7-CL503881-No-BL.7z" package from Hotfile | Dev-Host 270.17 MB.
  • Extract the contents of the zip file to a directory on your hard disk drive. This Odin3 One-click downloader contains firmware from the stock binary download available from samfirmware on sammobile.com. The bootloaders boot.bin, sbl.bin and param.lfs have been removed for safety. (Contains cache.img, factoryfs.img, hidden.img, modem.bin and zImage.)
  • Start the Odin3 One-Click Downloader program by double clicking on "I777UCKH7-CL503881-No-BL.exe".
  • Now Enter Download Mode:
    • With the phone powered off, plug in the usb cable while holding the vol up + vol down buttons (but not the power button).
    • When the warning screen appears, press Volume up to continue into download mode.
  • In Odin, the small edit box in the upper left corner will turn yellow, and say something like [0:COM8]. The number could be different.
  • Click Start. Watch the progress bar advance in green while the message box in the lower area describes the steps. When the flash is finished, the top left larger edit box will turn green and say PASS! and your phone will automatically reboot.
  • Unplug the usb cable from you phone after it boots up. Success. You're Bone Stock.
  • If your phone enters a bootloop, enter 3e recovery and perform a wipe data/factory reset. See step 4.

2b.) Flash the UCKH7-CL503881 stock kernel and system package from the command line using Heimdall (Linux and Mac OS)
  • Tested on Linux, should work on Mac OS
  • Download and install the latest version of Heimdall Command Line for your operating system from here. (Latest version 1.3.1 at this writing.)
  • Download the UCKH7-CL503881 stock kernel and system package from Hotfile | Dev-Host 269.86 MB.
  • Extract the contents of this 7zip package to a directory on your hard disk drive, and move or copy all files to the directory where you have the Heimdall command line executable. These were extracted from the stock binary download available from samfirmware on sammobile.com. (Contains cache.img, factoryfs.img, hidden.img, modem.bin and zImage.)
  • Enter the following at the command prompt:
    Code:
    heimdall flash --kernel zImage --factoryfs factoryfs.img --cache cache.img --hidden hidden.img --modem modem.bin
  • Reboot the phone. Success. You're Bone Stock.
  • If your phone enters a bootloop, enter 3e recovery and perform a wipe data/factory reset. See step 4.

3.) Dealing with special problems.
  • If you are unable to reset the flash counter with a jig, you may have a modified version of the secondary bootloader, perhaps from flashing one of the leaked versions of I777 firmware onto your phone, and will need to flash back to the I777 Stock sbl.bin in order to clear the flash counter.
  • If your flash counter says that your phone is an I9100, you have an I9100 secondary bootloader, probably from flashing an I9100 rom onto your phone, and you will need to flash back to the I777 Stock sbl.bin to correct the flash counter. You will also probably need to flash the stock param.lfs back onto your phone.
  • If you get the error "'logo_att.jpg' draw failed", you will need to replace the param.lfs with the I777 Stock param.lfs.
  • If you get the "Deleting Cryption Meta Data" error while your phone is in a bootloop, see this post.
  • Necessary files and flashing instructions for these are in the Download Repository.

4.) Do a wipe data/factory reset, and remove any personal or sensitive information that remains on the phone.

To perform a wipe data/factory reset from the phone:
  • From the home screen, go to Menu > Settings > Privacy > Factory Data Reset (Gingerbread) or Menu > Settings > Back up and reset > Factory data reset (ICS).
  • If you want to Format USB Storage (erase the internal sdcard), tick the check box.
  • Click the "Reset Phone" button.
  • Done.
To perform wipe data/factory reset from 3e recovery:
  • Reboot into stock 3e recovery: With the phone powered off, hold down the vol up + vol down + power buttons continuously until the initial boot screen appears a second time. Then let the phone boot on into the recovery screen.
  • Use the vol up and vol down keys to select the "wipe data/factory reset" option.
  • Press the home button to start the wipe data/factory reset.
  • Done.
To format USB storage separately (internal sdcard) from the phone:
  • From the home screen, go to Menu > Settings > Storage > Format USB Storage.
  • Click the "Format USB Storage" button.
  • Done.

Last edited:

MisterEdF

Apr 29, 2010
Florida USA
dayv has confirmed that flashing a stock kernel on the i777 will remove the warning triangle, but will NOT reset the flash counter. Please see his post here. This means that using this method will leave a trace that can be seen by AT&T or Samsung. Resetting the flash counter by activating download mode using a Jig is the only know way to reset the flash counter. Will post further information on this as it becomes available.

I just ordered my GSII (coming from Infuse) and have been doing a lot of reading in preparation so I may be confused.

Didn't I read somewhere here (FAQ?) that the "JIG FIX" has been disabled by Samsung in the hardware?

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
I just ordered my GSII (coming from Infuse) and have been doing a lot of reading in preparation so I may be confused.

Didn't I read somewhere here (FAQ?) that the "JIG FIX" has been disabled by Samsung in the hardware?

Not yet for the i777. The newer unofficial firmware leaks on the i777, and newer firmware releases on the i9100, are said to have bootloaders that disable the Jig fix. Your best and safest bet is to never increment the flash counter. If you have already incremented the flash counter, then get a jig to reset it, and then never increment it again. For more information see the Guide linked in my signature.

pinoymutt

Nov 7, 2008
SoCal
Looks like the SBL (secondary bootloader) has been posted so that for those 5% we mentioned above that accidentally flashed that newer leak that disabled the "jig trick", this may be the thing that helps them.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=18698937#post18698937

But be forewarned -- DO NOT mess with or flash bootloaders unless you absolutely know what you are doing or are sure you need them. May things can be recovered from if things go wrong, but a bad bootloader flash can create a nasty "brick" that almost always needs some sort of professional help to undo.

Also +1 that this thread should be stickied!

gr8hairy1

Nov 8, 2010
Michigan - Thumb
Thanks for the walkthrough. Nice to know I got every detail done. Factory wipe just wasn't cutting it (even with stock rom). Had a dead pixel that was bugging me like crazy. Oddly most noticeable when starting the xda app, can we say irony?

And with my new galaxy s II the screen digitizer isn't off near the top and bottom! So much better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using XDA App

MisterEdF

Apr 29, 2010
Florida USA
Using the ODIN 1 CLICK (factory NON-ROOTED) How long should this process take? Been 10 minutes and it is sitting at "Firmware Update Start" then "factoryfs.img." Yes, I have the yellow [COM28]. I've done this before on an Infuse and it was relatively fast. I'm afraid to cancel the process. Previously was on UNNAMED ROM.

EDIT: Also trying ODIN (without 1 step) using the PDA.TAR file and same thing is happening. Just hanging seemingly trying to load FACTTORYFS.IMG.

Edit Edit: Do I need to have a SIM card installed to do this?

Edit Edit Edit: Well, I got it to work. It would not work plugged into any of the 12 USB 2.0 motherboard ports on my PC (never had problem with the Infuse on those same ports). When I connected it to a USB PORT on a USB HUB it worked fine. Very strange.

Last edited:

3 or 88

Nov 16, 2011
thanks really assisted; have not got the jig yet but did get bad or incorrect off my ATT Galaxy.

nickshertzer

Dec 13, 2006
www.nickshertzer.com
Thank you! I bought a jig off Amazon for a little under $2 plus shipping. That plus this guide got my SGS2 back to stock.

I really like the SGS2 phone, and holy crap is it fast. Only problem is I'm so used to my Dell Streak's 5" SIZE, my thumbs felt cramped. Almost 2 weeks in with a "tiny" 4.3 incher and I'm sad to go.

I think I can wait on a subsidized Galaxy Note... That should only take, what? Six months? Oh god....

Anyway, obviously your post here is the only reason I can legitimately return within my 30 day period. So, THANK YOU again!

:)

cesande

Nov 12, 2011
Thanks for this Guide as well!
Once again works like a charm if you read and follow along!

moeaz05

Nov 11, 2010
Hey my custom binary it says yes. In not sending it back to warrety, I just want to revert back to stock. So am I allowed to continue without the jig?

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
Hey my custom binary it says yes. In not sending it back to warrety, I just want to revert back to stock. So am I allowed to continue without the jig?

The counter does not have any control over the actual function of the phone. It only provedes information. So go ahead and flash back to stock if you want to. That will also restore your AT&T boot screen and remove the yellow triangle.

And if you want to clear the counter later, buy a jig.

moeaz05

Nov 11, 2010
o okay thks. so there is only one offical frimware out for this att phone and it is 2.3.4?

Yovee

Nov 13, 2011
I'm considering returning my phone to Target so I can get in on the Walmart deal. The jig will be delivered on Wednesday or Thursday, and it takes 3 business days after I return the phone to reset my upgrade eligibility, which might put me after the last date (Dec. 3rd) that the Walmart deal is available. Do you guys think the counter is usually checked when a return is processed?

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
@Yovee

Most people seem to think if you remove the i9100 boot screen with the yellow triangle, you are safe, and that the chance someone will actually look at the flash counter is very unlikely. I don't know, but I can say I have never seen a post where anyone said that their return was rejected for this.

You can remove the boot screen and yellow triangle without a jig. See the post in my signature for more info.

Reactions: 4-2ndtwin

Kadin

Sep 23, 2007
California
I'm considering returning my phone to Target so I can get in on the Walmart deal. The jig will be delivered on Wednesday or Thursday, and it takes 3 business days after I return the phone to reset my upgrade eligibility, which might put me after the last date (Dec. 3rd) that the Walmart deal is available. Do you guys think the counter is usually checked when a return is processed?

I've returned/exchanged a fair amount of Samsung phones over the past few months and never had an associate look at it. I'd say that half of them never even turned the phone on. At least they did verify the IMEI and accessories.

Sent from my Samsung GSII (SGH-I777) using xda premium

Yovee

Nov 13, 2011
Thanks a lot for your responses guys. In that case I think I'll just restore the original firmware, get rid of the yellow triangle, and return the phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Prepare Your Phone to Return to the Store or for Warranty Replacement by following these steps:

1. Read the flash counter to make sure your flash count is at "NO". If it reads "YES (x counts)" then you must buy or build a Jig to reset it to "NO"...
    ...or use chainfire's "Triangle Away" program (which only work on ICS, Android 4.x)
    2. Flash the UCKH7-CL503881 stock kernel and system package using Odin or Heimdall.
    3. Deal with any special problems.
    4. Do a wipe data/factory reset, and remove any personal or sensitive information that remains on the phone.

Note:

Both new and refurbished SGH-I777 phones are now shipping with Android version 2.3.6, UCKK6. As of this writing, March 24, 2012, there is no release of the UCKK6 firmware on sammobile.com, and no one has pulled the stock UCKK6 firmware and packaged it into an Odin flashable tar. For warranty return of phones that shipped with UCKK6, I recommend flashing the stock UCKH7 package contained in this guide. An alternative would be to flash Entropy512's Return/Unbrick to stock Kernel + cache + rooted UCKK6 system package from here, and then to manually remove the traces of root.

Discussion

The Samsung Galaxy S II contains an internal flash counter which is incremented each time a non-stock binary (kernel/rom) is flashed using Odin or Heimdall. The purpose of the flash counter is believed to be to allow Samsung and or AT&T technicians to detect if the phone has a voided warranty through flashing non-stock firmware. In order to safely return the phone to the store or to a warranty center, it is necessary that the flash counter indicates "NO" custom binary download and "Samsung Official" current binary. If the flash counter has been incremented, it is necessary to reset the flash counter before returning the phone. The only known way to do this on Gingerbread is by using a Micro Usb Jig to place the phone into download mode which resets the flash counter. Since the advent of ICS for the I777, it is also possible to reset the flash counter using chairfire's TriangleAway application, but only while running an ICS rom.

The Jig is a micro usb plug with 301,000 ohms of resistance connected across pins 4 and 5. The use of the Jig became well known in late 2010 when a batch of Samsung Galaxy S Captivate phones were shipped with bootloaders that did not allow a button combination to enter download mode. That was before the Galaxy S II was released, and the only purpose for the Jig was to put the phone into download mode. Shortly after the International version of the Galaxy S II was released in May 2011, it was discovered that using a Jig to place the phone into download mode also resets the flash counter. Some who had a Jig for their Captivate found that the Jig would not work on the Galaxy S II. It seems that the Galaxy S II's tolerance for the 301k ohms is closer than the Captivate was, so if the resistance of the Jig was a little bit out of tolerance, it wouldn't work on the newer phone.

If you are handy, you can build your own jig. There are several threads in the Captivate forums that detail how, either with or without soldering. For a place to start, check out this thread and this one. There are also multiple places that sell pre-made Jigs. Check out dayv's thread in the Accessories forum. I bought a cheap JIG that works for under $2.00 and free shipping. A google search for "where to buy micro usb jig" will bring up a good number of them. Some of these may not be close enough tolerance for the Galaxy S II. Users on this forum have reported good results with Jigs from Moble Tech Videos.

Once your flash counter reads "NO", use Odin or Heimdall to flash the stock kernel, system image and modem. A wipe data/factory reset performed from the phone or from stock 3e recovery, and removing any personal or sensitive information on the internal sdcard, completes the process.

Information from dayv:
    Step 1) settings> privacy> factory data reset.
    Step 2) Flash with heimdall or Odin

In case you need to repartition, you will need a stock .pit file as well - though as of now as far as I know this is not needed for any reason - none of the roms or kernels in the dev section here in the at&t xda forums would cause any need for a repartition. Take care with .pit and repartitioning as you could end up with a soft brick, a situation that can be recovered from but still not desirable.

And if you have flashed anything containing the boot loaders you will need stock boot loaders too, but be very careful with boot loaders as a mistake with boot loaders can result in a hard brick

Information from pinoymutt:
    If you flashed the newer i777 leak that DG posted in the General section (I777UCKJ2) or went a little crazy and accidentally flashed one of the newer firmwares in the SGSII international section -- you'll find that they contain newer bootloaders -- the main difference being that they render the "jig trick" useless for resetting the custom firmware flasher.

This (i777 UCKH7 Secondary Bootloader) will allow you to revert back to the older (stock) bootloader that will let the jig reset the counter.

Most likely as new ROMs are built for our phones, many devs will remove the bootloaders, since it's not really advisable to flash these unless absolutely necessary (which for instance it was on the Captivate when flash from a Eclair/Froyo ROM to a Gingerbread one).

Be forewarned -- DO NOT mess with or flash bootloaders unless you absolutely know what you are doing or are sure you need them. Many things can be recovered from if things go wrong, but a bad bootloader flash can create a nasty "brick" that almost always needs some sort of professional help to undo.

Entropy512 adds:
    This (flashing UCKH7 Secondary Bootloader) reverts to current if you flashed the 2.3.5 leak package accidentally.

I would advise:
    DO NOT flash this bootloader unless you have flashed a 2.3.5 leak or I9100 ROM that included bootloaders, AND you have confirmed by trying it that using the jig does not reset your flash counter.

If you don't have a jig, this does nothing for you except risk hardbricking.
    If you have a jig and it works to reset the custom binary flash counter, this does nothing for you except risk hardbricking.

If you are reading this Guide before you have flashed anything that would increment the flash counter, your best bet woruld be to never increment the flash counter in the first place. It is possible to root and to flash a custom ROM/Kernel without incrementing the flash counter. Please see the Guide: How to Flash Custom Binaries Without Ever Incrementing the Flash Counter!!

1.) How to read the flash counter on an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II
    • Boot into download mode by this method:
    • At the top of the screen you will see:
      ODIN MODE
      PRODUCT NAME: SGH-I777
      CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: NO --or-- YES (x counts)
      CURRENT BINARY: SAMSUNG OFFICIAL --or-- CUSTOM
    • Once you have verified the information, remove the usb cable, and hold down the power button until the phone begins to reboot. (Do not do this if you are actually flashing the phone. Interrupting a flash can cause bad things to happen.)
    • You will not see the above information if you enter download mode by another method, ie. by using adb or the power menu, etc.
    • If your Custom Binary Download is NO, proceed to step 2. If your Custom Binary download is YES, your only option to reset this to NO is to use a Jig. The Jig is a micro usb plug with 301k ohms of resistance connected across pins 4 and 5. On the i777 running original bootloaders, it will reset the flash counter to NO as it puts the phone into download mode. You can make your own jig, or purchase one from many sources on the web. See the Discussion above for more information.

2a.) Flash the UCKH7-CL503881 stock kernel and system package using Odin3 One-Click Downloader (Windows)
    • Download the "I777UCKH7-CL503881-No-BL.7z" package from Hotfile | Dev-Host 270.17 MB.
    • Extract the contents of the zip file to a directory on your hard disk drive. This Odin3 One-click downloader contains firmware from the stock binary download available from samfirmware on sammobile.com. The bootloaders boot.bin, sbl.bin and param.lfs have been removed for safety. (Contains cache.img, factoryfs.img, hidden.img, modem.bin and zImage.)
    • Start the Odin3 One-Click Downloader program by double clicking on "I777UCKH7-CL503881-No-BL.exe".
    • Now Enter Download Mode:
    • In Odin, the small edit box in the upper left corner will turn yellow, and say something like [0:COM8]. The number could be different.
    • Click Start. Watch the progress bar advance in green while the message box in the lower area describes the steps. When the flash is finished, the top left larger edit box will turn green and say PASS! and your phone will automatically reboot.
    • Unplug the usb cable from you phone after it boots up. Success. You're Bone Stock.

2b.) Flash the UCKH7-CL503881 stock kernel and system package from the command line using Heimdall (Linux and Mac OS)
    • Tested on Linux, should work on Mac OS
    • Download and install the latest version of Heimdall Command Line for your operating system from here. (Latest version 1.3.1 at this writing.)
    • Download the UCKH7-CL503881 stock kernel and system package from Hotfile | Dev-Host 269.86 MB.
    • Extract the contents of this 7zip package to a directory on your hard disk drive, and move or copy all files to the directory where you have the Heimdall command line executable. These were extracted from the stock binary download available from samfirmware on sammobile.com. (Contains cache.img, factoryfs.img, hidden.img, modem.bin and zImage.)
    • Enter the following at the command prompt:
      Code:
      heimdall flash --kernel zImage --factoryfs factoryfs.img --cache cache.img --hidden hidden.img --modem modem.bin
    • Reboot the phone. Success. You're Bone Stock.

3.) Dealing with special problems.
    • If you are unable to reset the flash counter with a jig, you may have a modified version of the secondary bootloader, perhaps from flashing one of the leaked versions of I777 firmware onto your phone, and will need to flash back to the I777 Stock sbl.bin in order to clear the flash counter.
    • If your flash counter says that your phone is an I9100, you have an I9100 secondary bootloader, probably from flashing an I9100 rom onto your phone, and you will need to flash back to the I777 Stock sbl.bin to correct the flash counter. You will also probably need to flash the stock param.lfs back onto your phone.
    • If you get the error "'logo_att.jpg' draw failed", you will need to replace the param.lfs with the I777 Stock param.lfs.
    • If you get the "Deleting Cryption Meta Data" error while your phone is in a bootloop, see this post.
    • Necessary files and flashing instructions for these are in the Download Repository.

4.) Do a wipe data/factory reset, and remove any personal or sensitive information that remains on the phone.

To perform a wipe data/factory reset from the phone:
    • From the home screen, go to Menu > Settings > Privacy > Factory Data Reset (Gingerbread) or Menu > Settings > Back up and reset > Factory data reset (ICS).
    • If you want to Format USB Storage (erase the internal sdcard), tick the check box.
    • Click the "Reset Phone" button.
    • Done.
    To perform wipe data/factory reset from 3e recovery:
    • Reboot into stock 3e recovery: With the phone powered off, hold down the vol up + vol down + power buttons continuously until the initial boot screen appears a second time. Then let the phone boot on into the recovery screen.
    • Use the vol up and vol down keys to select the "wipe data/factory reset" option.
    • Press the home button to start the wipe data/factory reset.
    • Done.
    To format USB storage separately (internal sdcard) from the phone:
    • From the home screen, go to Menu > Settings > Storage > Format USB Storage.
    • Click the "Format USB Storage" button.
    • Done.
    Download Repository

Notice: As of December 4, 2013 Hotfile file sharing service has shut down permanently. I have started uploading files to Dev-Host. I have noted below in red which files and sections have not been updated yet. If there is a file you want that still has a Hotfile link, please post a request in the Q&A forum, and I will upload it for you at the earliest convenient time.

A few people may need files for specialized purposes like flashing back the original secondary bootloader or param.lfs, or a stock kernel for removing the yellow warning triangle, etc. I've decided to collect all the downloads relevant to my Guides in one spot.

Download the Odin3 v1.85 package from xda-developers, or another source of your choice. Odin3 v1.82 will also work.

Download and install the latest version of Heimdall Command Line for your operating system from here. (Latest version 1.4.0)

I777 UCKH7 secondary bootloader:
    There is always some risk involved when flashing bootloaders. Please don't flash this unless you absolutely need to.

This may be required if an I777 leak containing secondary bootloader was flashed. The secondary bootloader in the leaks disables the feature that resets the flash counter when booting download mode with a jig. It also may be required if an I9100 rom containing I9100 secondary bootloader was flashed onto the phone. The I9100 secondary bootloader will make the flash counter say your phone is an I9100. In this case, you would also need to flash the I777 stock param.lfs

Odin3 flashable tar: I777 UCKH7 sbl.tar (Thanks to agh1701)
    Use Odin3 v1.85 or v1.82 and put the sbl.tar in the PDA slot.

Heimdall flashable sbl.bin: sbl.bin (Thanks to agh1701)
    Use Heimdall at the Command line, put sbl.bin in directory with Heimdall, and type:
    Code:
    heimdall flash --secondary-boot sbl.bin
    You may need to right click and Save Target As

I777 UCKH7 stock param.lfs:
    There is always some risk involved when flashing param.lfs. Please don't flash this unless you absolutely need to.

This may be required if you get a 'logo_att.jpg' draw failed error during boot.

Odin3 flashable tar of param.lfs: I777 KH7 Stock PARAM.tar (Thanks to Connexion2005 of Mobile Tech Videos)
    Use Odin3 v1.85 or v1.82 and put the param.tar in the PDA slot.

Heimdall flashable Stock param.lfs: param.lfs (Thanks to Entropy512 for the stock param.lfs dump)
    Use Heimdall at the Command line, put param.lfs in the same directory with Heimdall, and type:
    Code:
    heimdall flash --param param.lfs

I777 UCKH7 PIT:
    There is always some risk involved when re-partitioning. Please don't flash this unless you absolutely need to.

From PAulyhoffman, posted on October 2, 2011: "This is the PIT file for stock galaxy 2 on ATT pulled it from my device via heimdall. It really isn't needed ATM but for the odin users it may come in handy for re-partitions and such."

I777UCKH7.pit: I777UCKH7.pit

I777 UCKH7 stock kernel:
    If a custom kernel has been flashed to an I777 phone using Odin3 or Heimdall from a pc, the phone will display a yellow warning triangle on the initial boot screen that also contains the I9100 logo.
    It is possible to replace the yellow warning triangle and I9100 logo boot screen with the stock AT&T I777 boot screen by flashing the I777 UCKH7 stock kernel using Odin3 or Heimdall. This will however not reset the flash counter. The only way to reset the flash counter is with a micro usb Jig. See the Original Post of this thread for more information about the Jig.

Odin3 flashable tar: StockKernel-PDA.tar (This tar contains only the kernel. Thanks to Entropy512 for the stock kernel)
    Use Odin3 v1.85 or v1.82 and put the StockKernel.tar in the PDA slot.

Heimdall flashable Stock zImage: zImage (Thanks to Entropy512 for the stock kernel)
    Use Heimdall at the Command line, put zImage in the same directory with Heimdall, and type:
    Code:
    heimdall flash --kernel zImage

Now, if you want to install custom software without invoking the warning triangle, follow the Guide, How to Flash Custom Binaries Without Ever Incrementing the Flash counter!!. If you have already installed a custom rom, and you just want to clear the warning triangle and restore a ClockworkMod enabled kernel, then flash the kernel of your choice using one of the procedures in step 3 of the Guide.

I777UCKH7-CL503881 Stock Binaries:
    There is always some risk involved when flashing bootloaders, param.lfs and especially PIT. Please don't flash this unless you absolutely need to.

This is the complete stock UCKH7 Binaries downloaded from samfirmware at sammobile.com and packaged as an Odin3 One-Click Downloader. Please note, this package contains the primative bootloader, the secondary bootloader and param.lfs, plus cache.img, factoryfs.img, hidden.img, modem.bin and zImage.

I777UCKH7-CL503881 FULL Odin3 One-click Downloader: I777UCKH7-CL503881-Full.7z (Contains I777UCKH7-CL503881-Full.exe.)

I777UCKH7-CL503881 FULL tar.md5: I777UCKH7-REV02-home-low-CL503881.tar.md5.7z (Contains I777UCKH7-REV02-home-low-CL503881.tar.md5)
    NOTE: Odin3 will recognize both tar and tar.md5 files. When using the tar.md5, Odin will verify the md5 sum first before flashing.

Heimdall flashable binaries:
    I777UCKH7-CL503881-Parts-NoBL.7z (Contains cache.img, factoryfs.img, hidden.img, modem.bin and zImage.)
    I777UCKH7-CL503881-Bootloaders.7z (Contains boot.bin, sbl.bin and param.lfs.)

I777 UCKH7 Return/Unbrick to Stock (or Root) Odin3 One-Click Downloaders
    Entropy512 prepared an Odin flashable package containing the Stock ROM and another Odin flashable package containing the Stock ROM plus Root. I used the files from these packages to create Odin3 One-click Downloaders for each. These include the modem, but do not contain bootloaders.

Return/Unbrick to Stock Non-Root: I777_UCKH7_OCD_No_BL.7z (This contains the kernel, non-rooted system image, and modem.)

Return/Unbrick to Stock + Root: I777_UCKH7_OCD_Root_No_BL.7z (This contains the kernel, rooted system image, and modem.)

Entropy512's Original I777 UCKH7 Kernel plus Non-Rooted System Package (Links in this section have not been updated)
    Entropy512 prepared an Odin flashable package containing the Stock ROM and another Odin flashable package containing the Stock ROM plus Root. The Modem is packaged separately. These do not contain bootloaders.

Kernel plus Non-Rooted System tar: UCKH7_stock_odin_noroot.7z (The tar in this 7z contains only the kernel and non-rooted system image.)
    Modem tar: UCKH7_MODEM.tar.7z (The tar in this 7z contains only the modem.)
    Flash Separately. Use Odin3 v1.85 or v1.82 and put the Stock-PDA.tar or UCKH7_MODEM.tar in the PDA slot.

Heimdall flashable Stock zImage: zImage
    Heimdall flashable Stock non-rooted factoryfs.img: stock_factoryfs.7z (Contains factoryfs.img.)
    Heimdall flashable Modem: modem.bin
    Use Heimdall at the Command line, put zImage, extracted factoryfs.img, and if used, modem.bin in the same directory with Heimdall.
    To flash without the modem type:
    Code:
    heimdall flash --kernel zImage --factoryfs factoryfs.img
    To flash including the modem type:
    Code:
    heimdall flash --kernel zImage --factoryfs factoryfs.img --modem modem.bin

Entropy512's Original I777 UCKH7 Kernel + Rooted System Package (Links in this section have not been updated)
    Entropy512 prepared an Odin flashable package containing the Stock ROM and another Odin flashable package containing the Stock ROM plus Root. The Modem is packaged separately. These do not contain bootloaders.

Kernel plus Rooted System tar: UCKH7_stock_odin.7z (The tar in this 7z contains only the kernel and rooted system image.)
    Modem tar: UCKH7_MODEM.tar.7z (The tar in this 7z contains only the modem.)
    Flash Separately. Use Odin3 v1.85 or v1.82 and put the Stock-with-root-PDA.tar or UCKH7_MODEM.tar in the PDA slot.

Heimdall flashable Stock zImage: zImage
    Heimdall flashable Stock plus Root factoryfs.img: stock_plus_root_factoryfs.7z (Contains factoryfs.img.)
    Heimdall flashable Modem: modem.bin
    Use Heimdall at the Command line, put zImage, extracted factoryfs.img, and if used, modem.bin in the same directory with Heimdall.
    To flash without the modem type:
    Code:
    heimdall flash --kernel zImage --factoryfs factoryfs.img
    To flash including the modem type:
    Code:
    heimdall flash --kernel zImage --factoryfs factoryfs.img --modem modem.bin

Entropy512's I777 UCKK6 Kernel + Rooted System Package (Links in this section have not been updated)
    Entropy512 prepared an Odin flashable package containing the OTA Update UCKK6 Stock ROM plus Root. Download the Modem from the Modem thread. This package does not contain bootloaders.

Kernel plus Rooted System tar: UCKK6_stock_rooted.tar.7z (The tar in this 7z contains zImage, factoryfs.img, hidden.img and cache.img.)
    Use Odin3 v1.85 or v1.82 and put the UCKK6_stock_rooted.tar in the PDA slot.

Heimdall flashable files: UCKK6_stock_rooted.7z (Contains stock zImage, factoryfs.img, hidden.img and cache.img.)
    Use Heimdall at the Command line, put zImage, factoryfs.img, hidden.img and cache.img in the same directory with Heimdall.
    To flash type:
    Code:
    heimdall flash --kernel zImage --factoryfs factoryfs.img --cache cache.img --hidden hidden.img

I777UCLE5 Stock Binaries (Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich) (The One-click Downloader link in this section has not been updated):
    There is always some risk involved when flashing bootloaders. Please don't flash this unless you absolutely need to.

The AT&T ICS leaks leading up to this version, UCLD3 and UCLD4 had a very serious flaw in the kernel which caused several people with the I777 to lose their device due to eMMC chip damage. The distribution of that flawed kernel was fairly widespread, and affected a number of different devices. Since the kernel source code for the current official AT&T UCLE5 has not been released yet, it is not possible to confirm that the kernel supplied with the UCLE5 release is free of this serious issue. Therefore, it would be advisable to either not run this firmware, or use a modified, rooted version in which the kernel is replaced with a known safe kernel. Such a modified, rooted version can be downloaded from the Android Development forum for this phone. It is unknown at this time if the bone stock installation can be rooted.

This is the complete stock UCLE5 Binaries downloaded from samfirmware at sammobile.com. Please note, this package contains boot.bin, plus cache.img, factoryfs.img, hidden.img, modem.bin and zImage.
    I777UCLE5 Full Odin Flashable tar: I777UCLE5_I777ATTLE5_I777UCLE5_HOME.tar.md5.7z (Contains I777UCLE5_I777ATTLE5_I777UCLE5_HOME.tar.md5)
    (md5: 22cd4d5e80e1e79d68d88cc4607cafcc)
    NOTE: Odin3 will recognize both tar and tar.md5 files. When using the tar.md5, Odin will verify the md5 sum first before flashing.

This is the stock UCLE5 Binaries downloaded from samfirmware at sammobile.com and packaged as an Odin3 One-Click Downloader. Please note, boot.bin has been removed from this package. Contains cache.img, factoryfs.img, hidden.img, modem.bin and zImage.
    I777UCLE5 Odin3 One-click Downloader: I777UCLE5 OCD No BL.7z (Contains I777UCLE5 OCD No BL.exe)
    (md5: 37dd392fe8ca47fc75cb82d378df5b92)

I777UCLL6 Stock Binaries (Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich) (The One-click Downloader link in this section has not been updated):

The AT&T ICS leaks leading up to the first official ICS release, UCLE5, had a very serious flaw in the kernel which caused several people with the I777 to lose their device due to eMMC chip damage. The distribution of that flawed kernel was fairly widespread, and affected a number of different devices. There were very few confirmed cases of eMMC damage with the UCLE5 release, but evidence indicates it may still have contained the flaw in some form. The current UCLL6 kernel appearantly fixes some issues that appeared in the previous 4.0.4 release, such as the sleep of death issue. It is unknown if the original eMMC cap erase flaw has been completely removed from this release. Therefore, it may be advisable to either not run this firmware, or use a modified, rooted version in which the kernel is replaced with a known safe kernel. Such a modified, rooted version can be downloaded from the Android Development forum for this phone. It is unknown at this time if the bone stock installation can be rooted.

This is the complete stock UCLL6 Binaries downloaded from samfirmware at sammobile.com. Please note, this package contains boot.bin, plus cache.img, factoryfs.img, hidden.img, modem.bin and zImage.
    I777UCLL6 Full Odin Flashable tar: I777UCLL6_I777ATTLL6_I777UCLL6_HOME.tar.md5.7z (Contains I777UCLL6_I777ATTLL6_I777UCLL6_HOME.tar.md5)
    (md5: 01da898a3b9191f037e6d383720118d7)

This is the stock UCLL6 Binaries downloaded from samfirmware at sammobile.com and packaged as an Odin3 One-Click Downloader. Please note, boot.bin has been removed from this package. Contains cache.img, factoryfs.img, hidden.img, modem.bin and zImage.
    I777UCLL6 Odin3 One-click Downloader: I777UCLL6 OCD No BL.7z (Contains I777UCLL6 OCD No BL.exe)
    (md5: 5cd8eac74602d9cdfcec7e4da86bd60d)

I777UCMD8 Stock Binaries (Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean):
    There is always some risk involved when flashing bootloaders and Param.lfs. Please don't flash this unless you absolutely need to.

This is the complete stock UCMD8 Binaries downloaded from samfirmware at sammobile.com. Please note, this package contains boot.bin, sbl.bin and param.lfs, plus cache.img, factoryfs.img, hidden.img, modem.bin and zImage.
    I777UCMD8 Full Odin Flashable tar: I777UCMD8_I777ATTMD8_I777UCMD8_HOME.tar.md5.7z 427.02 MB (Contains I777UCMD8_I777ATTMD8_I777UCMD8_HOME.tar.md5)
    (md5: 307cc8fcbb8f220d3ae75d387569da40)

AJK v4.9 MicSwap kernel:
    The dev-host download for this file that is linked in AJ Newkirk's kernel thread contains a corrupt version of this file. This download is a working version that I downloaded in October of 2013.
    AJK v4.9 MicSwap: AJK v4.9 MicSwap 7.77 MB (8,144,957 bytes)
    (md5: 6478bea9d4b3662c29e431946fc64415)
    IMO the mods should sticky this - at the very least jivy26 should add it to the FAQ if it isn't there already.
    IT WORKED

Yes those are the ones.

IT WORKED...

Creepy,

Finally got a new battery and the time to try your suggestions...
    I did steps 1, 2, and 3 with no change in the phone
    (started to think it may be a hardware problem)

Then I did steps 4, 5, and 6 and the phone booted into recovery!!!
    I performed a wipe/data factory reset and its all good.

I cant thank you enough for all your knowledge and help

I sent you a donation (confirmation:13E201077Y472604U,
    so have you favorite drink or dinner on me.

Thank you soooo much,
    Neil
    Hi guys.. Its been a while scene I posted on xda went with the note 3. My wife has this phone, she's running shostock 3 version 3.0.2 with the i777ucll6 baseband. An the included kernel jeboo v1.36b+ can someone walk me through this process on getting this phone back to stock so she can return it. Her power button went dead. Thanks in advance guys

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Return it to where? This model is nearly 3 years old, and out of warranty.

With a failed power button, you will not be able to perform a wipe data/factory reset from within stock recovery. Therefore, before you flash back to stock, you should perform a wipe data/factory reset from the recovery in the Jebo kernel, which is a touch recovery.

Download the I777UCMD8 stock firmware full package from the Download Repository, and use Odin3 v1.85 to flash it. It's the next to last item near the bottom of the repository.

If you don't have experience using Odin, let me know and I can post up some instructions.

If you are going to pay to get this fixed, you may want to consider sending it to Mobile Tech Videos. They can replace the button for $40.00 including return shipping. They are in the Los Angeles area, and are well respected here on XDA. I believe Samsung charges something like $70.00 or $75.00 for the same repair. And even better, you won't need to flash back to stock.