[Q] How do I unlock my phone on 4.3? Is there a rom I can install to unlock it?

Search This thread

dawgdoc

Nov 27, 2013
Is there? Sorry for posting again. I just want to unlock my phone so badly.

I have seen a number of the more experienced forum members answer this by saying that once you are on 4.3 with the official MJB bootloader you will need to use one of the pay services to sim unlock your phone.

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
I have read that some XDA members that are using the i747 with AT&T were able to get the unlock code for free directly from AT&T..

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
How do they do that? o.o

You can request the unlock code via this URL ...https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

I haven't had any luck with them though using this request form as each time I've tried it's been with a phone I purchased from the secondary market and then they reply that the details on record don't match mine. Congress recently approved a bill making it legal to unlock your phone and I understand the new bill also includes a provision allowing third-parties who obtain the phone legally to request the unlock code. So perhaps things will be easier for everyone when the new bill becomes law and takes full effect.

MaknaeAJ

Oct 24, 2011
You can request the unlock code via this URL ...https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

I haven't had any luck with them though using this request form as each time I've tried it's been with a phone I purchased from the secondary market and then they reply that the details on record don't match mine. Congress recently approved a bill making it legal to unlock your phone and I understand the new bill also includes a provision allowing third-parties who obtain the phone legally to request the unlock code. So perhaps things will be easier for everyone when the new bill becomes law and takes full effect.

Oh, thanks, I'll try this out because I been googling stuff and I think I can get a code from At&t. Well hopefully.

dawgdoc

Nov 27, 2013
Oh, thanks, I'll try this out because I been googling stuff and I think I can get a code from At&t. Well hopefully.

I hope AT&T is cooperative. I am still able to go back to 4.1.1 on my SGS3 to unlock, but I never unlocked my Captivate - which is still functional. I keep it as a backup. It would be nice to have it unlocked.

MaknaeAJ

Oct 24, 2011
I hope AT&T is cooperative. I am still able to go back to 4.1.1 on my SGS3 to unlock, but I never unlocked my Captivate - which is still functional. I keep it as a backup. It would be nice to have it unlocked.

How were you able to go back to 4.1.1? Right now im on 4.3 and people are saying not to downgrade or it'll brick your phone. All I wanna do is go back to 4.1.1 to unlock my phone and upgrade to 4.3.

dawgdoc

Nov 27, 2013
How were you able to go back to 4.1.1? Right now im on 4.3 and people are saying not to downgrade or it'll brick your phone. All I wanna do is go back to 4.1.1 to unlock my phone and upgrade to 4.3.

I will be able to go back to 4.1.1 because I am still on 4.1.2. I never allowed my phone to take the 4.3 update.

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto

Check out the captivate forum. You should be able to unlock it for free :)

dawgdoc

Nov 27, 2013
Check out the captivate forum. You should be able to unlock it for free :)

Been perusing them for a bit. Not having much luck implementing for the moment. I think that is because I didn't have a sim in the phone. It's not a big issue to me at the moment. As a backup phone I don't actually need to unlock if I go with AT&T or even if I switch it to Straight Talk. Of course, it would need to be unlocked to use other prepaid options. Anyway, I subscribed to the threads I will revisit when necessary.