How do I disable email sound notifications?

Search This thread

milan_ns

Dec 2, 2008
London
I've set up my company email using the phone's default email client.

Last night few emails arrived around 3 am and my S3 almost gave me a heart attack with the sound notification.

How do I disable email sound notification?

UpInTheAir

Account currently disabled
Jan 17, 2011
Phuket, Thailand
I've set up my company email using the phone's default email client.

Last night few emails arrived around 3 am and my S3 almost gave me a heart attack with the sound notification.

How do I disable email sound notification?

Unfortunately, I think the only way is to disable notification sound altogether.

menu > settings > sound > volume > default notifications > silent

Or

Use a 3rd party email client.

Tachikoma_kun

Jan 16, 2009
Wales
This puzzled me for ages as I couldn't find where to change the email app ringtone, but this is how I did it:

Settings
Accounts and Sync
Tap on the account (mine is Hotmail)
Settings
Tap on (for me) Hotmail
Notification Settings -> Select Ringtone
Silent

milan_ns

Dec 2, 2008
London
This puzzled me for ages as I couldn't find where to change the email app ringtone, but this is how I did it:

Settings
Accounts and Sync
Settings
Tap on (for me) Hotmail
Silent

Thank you
thank you
thank you

:)

I actually had a look there earlier but missed the notification settings...

Huraaah, I no longer have to listed to that annoying default email sound!!

Tachikoma_kun

Jan 16, 2009
Wales
:D

You are most welcome, I know how annoying it is and only found this by accident, it's hardly the most obvious way to change a notification.

tdunham

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 21, 2008
TampaBay
There are several apps that you can use that support sound profiles.
I use phoneweaver. It does a lot more but I use it primarily for sound. I have several sound profiles setup:
one for the car - all volume all the way up
one for everyday use - volume about 50%
nighttime - volume totally off during certain hours (good for your case, phone ringer still active in case an emergency phone call comes in.)
silent - puts phone on vibrate completely

babracmmm

Jun 9, 2010
Does this work for you? I have Bedside because I need to be able to get calls at night but email notifications keep waking me up. I used to be able to silence notifications on my Droid Incredible.

Does anyone know if Tasker (I haven't used before) or Llama (same) would be able to control the set up listed above:

Settings
Accounts and Sync
Settings
Tap on (for me) Hotmail
Silent

To do this at night and then turn it back on in the morning? I like getting email notifications during the day, but I can't find a program that keeps the ringer on and the notifications off at night.

Last edited:

mskiy11

Nov 21, 2012

Settings
Accounts and Sync
Settings
Tap on (for me) Hotmail
Silent

Account and Sync? Im sorry, but I dont see this. Which section is that under?

IAmJJH

Dec 30, 2011
How do you turn email notification sounds ON?

Hi. In searching for a way to turn on email notification sounds, I wound up here at this forum talking about turning email audio notifications OFF. I have a Galaxy Note 2, unlocked bootloader, running the standard unlocked ROM from Adam's unlock method. By default, my phone does not vibrate or sound off an audio alert when emails come in. They just show up in my notifications bar, and the notification LED flashes blue. So the only way for me to know a new email has arrived is to happen to look at the flashing blue LED.

Within the email app general preference settings I have "Vibrate" checked, and a ring tone selected under "Select ringtone".

Within the sound settings of the device, I have a ring tone selected for each of, "Device ringtone" and "Default notifications", and I also checked off "Sound and vibration"

Within the volume settings of the device, nothing is turned to silent ("Music, video, games, and other media", "Ringtone", "Notifications", and "System")

Within the Application manager settings, Email, there are no options to do anything about sound or notifications. All it shows is, "Force stop," "Disable," "Clear data," "Clear cache".

Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Settings
    Accounts and Sync
    Settings
    Tap on (for me) Hotmail
    Silent