Nyko playpad bluetooth pairing fix

Search This thread

theaftermath

Feb 8, 2013
I have recently purchased a Nyko playpad and like many other users installed the playground app that is advertised on the box. Big mistake. The app didn't work AND the playpad stopped pairing properly with my Nexus 7. I googled and discovered that many people had similar problems and the only way fix was to factory reset my nexus. I did that and all was fine for a couple hours. Then the playpad stopped pairing again! This time I decided to try and find a way to reset the Nexus's bluetooth settings without a factory reset. I succeeded and these are the results.

You can now fix the pairing issue between your nexus 7 and Nyko playpad without a factory reset or even a device restart. This may also work for other bluetooth devices with similar problems. (Like the playpad pro)

Make sure your device is rooted before trying this or it simply won't work. Also make a note that I'm running stock android 4.2.1 jelly bean. For other devices and/or android versions look below.

Also I am not responsible for any damage done to your device. Especially, that which could be caused by deleting the wrong directory.

First open a terminal and then type these commands.
Code:
su
rm -rf /data/misc/bluedroid
pkill com.android.bluetooth

Basically these commands give you root permissions, delete your bluetooth configuration data, and restart android's bluetooth service so that it reloads (or in this case resets) your bluetooth data.

Now your playpad will pair correctly with the nexus 7. I suggest you make a script out of these commands for ease of use. I am sure you will need to use them again.

FOR OTHER DEVICES/ANDROID VERSIONS:
These commands should be able to easily be adapted to other devices. Just find the directory that has your bluetooth configuration data and delete it. On jelly bean it is apparently /data/misc/bluedroid but for other android versions it could be slightly different. Use a root file browser to find it. But I think most people will be able to find their bluetooth configuration somewhere in /data/misc.
Also the name of your bluetooth process may not be the same. To find it type "ps" in a terminal. It will spit out a whole lot of text. Look at the names on the right and try to find "com.android.bluetooth." If its not there find something similar and substitute it in the pkill command.

Enjoy your gamepad. :)

jyesucevitz

May 22, 2008
Brockton, MA
Thank you. I was literally just hours away from returning this to Gamestop. Paired but wouldn't connect. This method worked perfectly. Not the best controller I ever used but at least now I have functioning controller for my nexus 7. Thanks again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

doohder

Feb 25, 2013
Queen City of the South
Thank you. I was literally just hours away from returning this to Gamestop. Paired but wouldn't connect. This method worked perfectly. Not the best controller I ever used but at least now I have functioning controller for my nexus 7. Thanks again.

Good for you..I just had mine replaced with a PS3 controller :| Good thing the packaging of Nyko is "returnable".

theaftermath

Feb 8, 2013

You are very welcome. I was beginning to worry that nobody was ever going to use this.

Reactions: littleguy77

tytiger

Sep 15, 2012
Torquay
www.coolmediatech.com
Gah, really wish i'd seen this before factory restting my tablet :rolleyes: glad someone found a non-destructive fix though, i tried erasing cache and dalvik cache to to avail either. will have to rememberer this one. Really hope Nyko find a fix for this, or google, whichever side is at fault. it's a great controller and one of the first few of it's kind (connectivity wise at least) and would hate to see it dive-bomb because of a Bluetooth glitch.

Also mine was working fine for a few days, it wasn't until after i installed the playground app that things went belly up, not sure if their related or not.

bsoplinger

Jan 17, 2011
There are a few tools that can run a script at boot, Script Manage and ROMToolbox to name two. Perhaps one of these would be better because their features match your other needs or you already own one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have recently purchased a Nyko playpad and like many other users installed the playground app that is advertised on the box. Big mistake. The app didn't work AND the playpad stopped pairing properly with my Nexus 7. I googled and discovered that many people had similar problems and the only way fix was to factory reset my nexus. I did that and all was fine for a couple hours. Then the playpad stopped pairing again! This time I decided to try and find a way to reset the Nexus's bluetooth settings without a factory reset. I succeeded and these are the results.

You can now fix the pairing issue between your nexus 7 and Nyko playpad without a factory reset or even a device restart. This may also work for other bluetooth devices with similar problems. (Like the playpad pro)

Make sure your device is rooted before trying this or it simply won't work. Also make a note that I'm running stock android 4.2.1 jelly bean. For other devices and/or android versions look below.

Also I am not responsible for any damage done to your device. Especially, that which could be caused by deleting the wrong directory.

First open a terminal and then type these commands.
    Code:
    su
    rm -rf /data/misc/bluedroid
    pkill com.android.bluetooth

Basically these commands give you root permissions, delete your bluetooth configuration data, and restart android's bluetooth service so that it reloads (or in this case resets) your bluetooth data.

Now your playpad will pair correctly with the nexus 7. I suggest you make a script out of these commands for ease of use. I am sure you will need to use them again.

FOR OTHER DEVICES/ANDROID VERSIONS:
    These commands should be able to easily be adapted to other devices. Just find the directory that has your bluetooth configuration data and delete it. On jelly bean it is apparently /data/misc/bluedroid but for other android versions it could be slightly different. Use a root file browser to find it. But I think most people will be able to find their bluetooth configuration somewhere in /data/misc.
    Also the name of your bluetooth process may not be the same. To find it type "ps" in a terminal. It will spit out a whole lot of text. Look at the names on the right and try to find "com.android.bluetooth." If its not there find something similar and substitute it in the pkill command.

Enjoy your gamepad. :)

You are very welcome. I was beginning to worry that nobody was ever going to use this.