[APP][2.1+][Optimized 4.0+] WordLookup - Not your average dictionary tool!

Search This thread

icechen1

May 3, 2012
The ability to select text and sharing it seems to be rare in apps for pre-Honeycomb Android versions, so this may be a problem. This app will have limited functionality in those Android versions.

Hey xda developpers,

Here's my shot at my second ad-free app, WordLookup :)!
z5N3z.png
What is it?
Many of you have probably heard of the popular Google Dictionary extension for Google Chrome, which allows you to double click any word on a web page to view its definition. I have found this feature indispensable to my web browsing.

Of course, it's not possible to implement something like this in Android just yet, but this app tries to imitate its functionality. There's no need to open another dictionary app to find definitions anymore!

WordLookup allows you to view word definitions easily as you browse the web, and when using apps. It does require an Internet connection to work, however.

Simply hold&select the word you wish to look up, share it with WordLookup and a small notification popup will show a few definitions for the word! It's that simple!

Here's how to use it:
1- Hold and select the word you'd like to get the definitions.
2- Select the Share button in the menu/Action Bar.
3- Share text to WordLookup.
4- The definitions should show up in a bit as a popup(Toast) notification.
IDn3z.png

Supported Apps:
-ICS Android Browser
-Google Chrome
-ICS Gmail and Email app
-Pulse
-Many,many others. More will be added in this list.

Right now, this app is only tested on Android 4.0 - Ice Cream Sandwich, as many apps on earlier versions of Android do not support sharing text, your mileage may vary, though. Some parts of the program are still very rough, as this is still a beta.

Upcoming features includes offline dictionaries, and more!

Technical stuff in a nutshell:
This app gets the shared text via an intent and uses the Knicker library to fetch definitions from Wordnik (thanks to their nifty API). It then sends the definitions to a custom Toast pop-up, which is displayed on the bottom of the screen.

Bug reports! Suggestions! Angry Hate Mails!
If there's anything, feel free to reply to this thread, or PM me.
Or you can also e-mail me at houyuchen66 [at] gmail.com.

Cool! Where do I get it?
Google play link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.icechen1.wordlookup

If you find this app useful, a rating would be great! Please leave your feedbacks in this thread, it really helps!

Attachments

• WL-promo.png
    WL-promo.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 591
  • WL-Step-by-step.jpg
    WL-Step-by-step.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 601
Last edited:

jazzboyrules

Oct 19, 2011
This looks like an awesome idea. Would it be possible to auto detect non-English words and auto-translate selected words using Google Translate? Thanks!

icechen1

May 3, 2012
Can anyone with a Gingerbread, or previous version of Android confirm if this app works in these versions?

Thanks

kravguy

Mar 13, 2009
Hiram, GA
Crashes every time.

Htc one xl running cleanrom de 3.0
Ics 4.0.3
Tried in stock browser, dolphin

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

icechen1

May 3, 2012

icechen1

May 3, 2012
Question, is it better to use a Toast notification, like now, or switch to a dialog box, which offers more optimization at the expense of more obtrusiveness?

Mesograt

Apr 12, 2012
This is a cool idea, but it doesn't really function on my GB TB because the option to share text is limited (as you stated). Still, I'll be following this to see where it goes and I'll definitely give it a spin once I upgrade!

Keep up the work c:

-And a suggestion-
Do you think it would be possible to create an offline version as well and have the word lookups routed through a database in your app instead of online?

Atamagaokashii

Nov 8, 2009
I know I'm connected to the internet via wifi and it won't connect... HTC thunderbolt on sfk almost sense 4.0/gingerbread. I could share it and everything though

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA

icechen1

May 3, 2012
This is a cool idea, but it doesn't really function on my GB TB because the option to share text is limited (as you stated). Still, I'll be following this to see where it goes and I'll definitely give it a spin once I upgrade!

Keep up the work c:

-And a suggestion-
Do you think it would be possible to create an offline version as well and have the word lookups routed through a database in your app instead of online?
Hey Meso,
Unfortunately, the limitations on GB seems to be a hard one and cannot be fixed unless the app developer(in the case of the browser, Google) updates it to add sharing, or possibly added into a ROM or something.

And an offline version are upcoming as well, once some flaws with the app gets nailed out. I'm also thinking of using Bing's traslation service to deliver translations in a future version, as well.
I know I'm connected to the internet via wifi and it won't connect... HTC thunderbolt on sfk almost sense 4.0/gingerbread. I could share it and everything though

Hey,

That's weird, but I may know why, will try to fix it in the next update. I am rather busy these days so you will have to be patient :(

Meanwhile, try to go on wordnik.com via your phone. It may have been blocked for some reason. Let me know if it works or not.

icechen1

May 3, 2012
Just released 0.1.2beta which includes a few buxfixes and also allows me to better identify problems(let me know if you still encounter the problem, Atamagaokashii)

icechen1

May 3, 2012
Just released 0.1.5beta:

Changelog:
-Added a loading screen while definition is loading
-optimizations

Atamagaokashii

Nov 8, 2009
Just released 0.1.2beta which includes a few buxfixes and also allows me to better identify problems(let me know if you still encounter the problem, Atamagaokashii)

Much better! Love it! I've been waiting for something like this for awhile. Is it possible in the next update to be able to choose or have options for where it.pulls a definition from?

icechen1

May 3, 2012
Much better! Love it! I've been waiting for something like this for awhile. Is it possible in the next update to be able to choose or have options for where it.pulls a definition from?

I'll definitively look into it! The Wordnik API does support pulling from Wikitionary, Webster, etc. It's possible to set this from an option. Glad this app is useful for you!

Really nice icechen1, thank you! :good:
I was looking for an app like this 3 months ago. Especially to handle the needs expressed by dk2000zx:
Dammnn, finally i dont need to copy paste the word anymore into some dictionnary web site
and by jazzboyrules:
This looks like an awesome idea. Would it be possible to auto detect non-English words and auto-translate selected words using Google Translate? Thanks!
Since I didn't find anything, I developped my own app called CopySearch. I can't post link, but there is a thread presenting it on xda.
At the end, our 2 apps are totally different, which is fun:
same user needs + 2 different developpers = 2 apps that have nothing in common :laugh:
keep going!

Last edited:
Reactions: icechen1

icechen1

May 3, 2012
I was looking for an app like this 3 months ago. Especially to handle the needs expressed by dk2000zx:

and by jazzboyrules:

Since I didn't find anything, I developped my own app called CopySearch. I can't post link, but there is a thread presenting it on xda.
same user needs + 2 different developpers = 2 apps that have nothing in common :laugh:
keep going!

Hey!

I looked at your app and must I say, I do like the concept of it and the level of customization!

Cheers!

CooLoserTech

Mar 13, 2012
Very nice. Best I've seen so far. I like the UI and overall smoothness of the look up. Although it doesn't know what 'limbo' is :p

Sent from my Nexus S 4G flashed to Boost Mobile

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The ability to select text and sharing it seems to be rare in apps for pre-Honeycomb Android versions, so this may be a problem. This app will have limited functionality in those Android versions.

Hey xda developpers,

Here's my shot at my second ad-free app, WordLookup :)!
    z5N3z.png
    What is it?
    Many of you have probably heard of the popular Google Dictionary extension for Google Chrome, which allows you to double click any word on a web page to view its definition. I have found this feature indispensable to my web browsing.

Of course, it's not possible to implement something like this in Android just yet, but this app tries to imitate its functionality. There's no need to open another dictionary app to find definitions anymore!

WordLookup allows you to view word definitions easily as you browse the web, and when using apps. It does require an Internet connection to work, however.

Simply hold&select the word you wish to look up, share it with WordLookup and a small notification popup will show a few definitions for the word! It's that simple!

Here's how to use it:
    1- Hold and select the word you'd like to get the definitions.
    2- Select the Share button in the menu/Action Bar.
    3- Share text to WordLookup.
    4- The definitions should show up in a bit as a popup(Toast) notification.
    IDn3z.png

Supported Apps:
    -ICS Android Browser
    -Google Chrome
    -ICS Gmail and Email app
    -Pulse
    -Many,many others. More will be added in this list.

Right now, this app is only tested on Android 4.0 - Ice Cream Sandwich, as many apps on earlier versions of Android do not support sharing text, your mileage may vary, though. Some parts of the program are still very rough, as this is still a beta.

Upcoming features includes offline dictionaries, and more!

Technical stuff in a nutshell:
    This app gets the shared text via an intent and uses the Knicker library to fetch definitions from Wordnik (thanks to their nifty API). It then sends the definitions to a custom Toast pop-up, which is displayed on the bottom of the screen.

Bug reports! Suggestions! Angry Hate Mails!
    If there's anything, feel free to reply to this thread, or PM me.
    Or you can also e-mail me at houyuchen66 [at] gmail.com.

Cool! Where do I get it?
    Google play link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.icechen1.wordlookup

If you find this app useful, a rating would be great! Please leave your feedbacks in this thread, it really helps!
    Dammnn, finally i dont need to copy paste the word anymore into some dictionnary web site
    and by jazzboyrules:
    keep going!
    I guess there is lack of comments because app works just fine!

Is it possible to use it offline via offline dictionary like ColorDict?

Flowed from my Nexus⁴ using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It's been a while since I updated the app, so I will modernize it at some point in the future, and I will consider adding offline dictionary. :)