[Q] firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please use software repair assistant...

Search This thread

hillzhavays

Jan 9, 2014
Phone: Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III

Well this is just super. This morning I plugged my phone into the computer on the USB and got the usual pop up to open folders to view files. Then a small popup saying Samsung Galaxy S III Software upgrade dropped up from the bottom desktop bar. It had buttons saying download now, download later. So I hit download now.

The resulting pop up said it was downloading and might take up to 90 minutes. My phone's screen switched to the little Green Android, saying Downloading... Do not Turn off target. 10 minutes later I get a Windows popup on the computer screen saying I have to restart my computer. So I did. 4 hours later, still had a little green android on the phone screen so it dawned on me that the phone might be frozen (so I'm slow, sue me).

I called samsung, went through this whole rigamarole with them and the woman said to try taking the battery out of the back (which sounded a lot to me like "turning the target off" but she's the expert right?)

Wrong. Now the screen has a phone icon then a yellow triangle with an exclamation point and then a computer monitor. I have tried holding down the power key - the screen just goes black until I let go and then 3 seconds later it vibrates and the yellow triangle screen comes on like before with the message that is the title of this post.

I have tried pulling the battery two more times. Same result. Tried pulling it while plugged into the computer and not plugged into the computer.

I have also tried holding down the Up Volume, Power and Home keys all at once. Same thing - screen goes black until I let go of the power key.

I clicked on "Computer" on my Start Menu on my desktop computer and I do not see the phone there, even though it is plugged in on the USB. so how can I use the Software Repair Assistant?

Thoughts anyone?

PS: Upper left screen of the phone has the following text:

Product Name: SCH-1535
Custom Binary Download: No
Current Binary: Samsung Official
System Status: Official
Qualcomm Secureboot: Enable
Warranty Bit: 0
Bootloader AP SVREV: 1

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Phone: Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III

Well this is just super. This morning I plugged my phone into the computer on the USB and got the usual pop up to open folders to view files. Then a small popup saying Samsung Galaxy S III Software upgrade dropped up from the bottom desktop bar. It had buttons saying download now, download later. So I hit download now.

Remove the battery, put it back then hold down VOLUME DOWN, HOME BUTTON,and POWER BUTTON, can you get into download mode?

hillzhavays

Jan 9, 2014
What happen when you see the yellow icon and click on the volume UP button?

UPDATE: Just got back from the Verizon store. Their tech guy ran a diagnostic and informed me that my phone is now a baby's butt - as clean and smooth as the day it was born. Somehow the entire operating system was wiped from the device - probably when the Samsung woman told me to take the battery out.

They also told me Samsung has a patch on their website BUT how do I upload the patch if I can't see the device on my computer?

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
UPDATE: Just got back from the Verizon store. Their tech guy ran a diagnostic and informed me that my phone is now a baby's butt - as clean and smooth as the day it was born. Somehow the entire operating system was wiped from the device - probably when the Samsung woman told me to take the battery out.

They also told me Samsung has a patch on their website BUT how do I upload the patch if I can't see the device on my computer?

I have a feeling they just used the verizon utility. That patch they talked about was probably on a site only verizon employees can access. There is no official download link for the program you needed to fix your brick. You need to have it pre installed or know someone with a working s3 to get it. Happy to hear a verizon employee actually helped you instead of pushing for a upgrade.

hillzhavays

Jan 9, 2014
I have a feeling they just used the verizon utility. That patch they talked about was probably on a site only verizon employees can access. There is no official download link for the program you needed to fix your brick. You need to have it pre installed or know someone with a working s3 to get it. Happy to hear a verizon employee actually helped you instead of pushing for a upgrade.

Oh, they pushed.

I do have someone I work with that has an S3.

My problem is my phone won't even connect to KIES so even if I can find something to upload to it, how do I do it?