[Q] Phone Randomly Rebooting after flash

Search This thread

CtDMonet

Nov 2, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I flashed Stock(ish)v05, played with it for a while, and thought I'd try TriForce5.4. I flashed it, and I really liked the starting from scratch, as I've had my phone for a year or so, and it has a lot of crap on it -- probably good to start fresh.

I installed the essentials, email accounts, facebook, tweetcaster, solitaire megapack and hungry shark evolution.

I think I kind of screwed up installing hungry shark. I had originally installed it on Amazon, and reinstalled it with the play store. No biggie, right? I noticed mainly because the opening animation is different, slightly.

I installed the new google now launcher, and put the games in a folder.

When I played hungry shark - I was surprised to see that it had my app data (I wiped/formatted system/etc) -- I was close to getting a great white, so that was cool. A couple days later -- hungry shark was not in the folder. I went to the play store and it was uninstalled. hmmm. I reinstalled it, and no data -- back to Maco shark. A couple days later -- it wasn't there again. I tried to install it with amazon, but it locked up and wouldn't show it.

I then decided maybe I'd go back to Stock(ish)v05. I went back and proceeded to reinstall stuff. The phone started rebooting randomly. It might seem like a memory error, as it usually happens when installing something. I noticed Stock(ish)v06 was up, so I did a full wipe and went to V06. It had the same problem. After some searching -- I thought maybe there was a modem problem. I odin'd a fresh MK2. Same problem. Any advice? I'm not really a noob, but sometimes have no idea what I'm doing.

leaderbuilder

I flashed Stock(ish)v05, played with it for a while, and thought I'd try TriForce5.4. I flashed it, and I really liked the starting from scratch, as I've had my phone for a year or so, and it has a lot of crap on it -- probably good to start fresh.

I installed the essentials, email accounts, facebook, tweetcaster, solitaire megapack and hungry shark evolution.

I think I kind of screwed up installing hungry shark. I had originally installed it on Amazon, and reinstalled it with the play store. No biggie, right? I noticed mainly because the opening animation is different, slightly.

When I played hungry shark - I was surprised to see that it had my app data (I wiped/formatted system/etc) -- I was close to getting a great white, so that was cool. A couple days later -- hungry shark was not in the folder. I went to the play store and it was uninstalled. hmmm. I reinstalled it, and no data -- back to Maco shark. A couple days later -- it wasn't there again. I tried to install it with amazon, but it locked up and wouldn't show it.

I then decided maybe I'd go back to Stock(ish)v05. I went back and proceeded to reinstall stuff. The phone started rebooting randomly. It might seem like a memory error, as it usually happens when installing something. I noticed Stock(ish)v06 was up, so I did a full wipe and went to V06. It had the same problem. After some searching -- I thought maybe there was a modem problem. I odin'd a fresh MK2. Same problem. Any advice? I'm not really a noob, but sometimes have no idea what I'm doing.
Best bet to clean all the nasties is a complete Odin wipe - grab the full MK2 .tar and flash that. It'll wipe all your partitions and set things right. The tar is here in the forums search a little.
Run Titanium if you want to back up some app data but don't restore any system data.

Reactions: CtDMonet

CtDMonet

Nov 2, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
No the super clean tar will have Knox and all bloatware. And no root. You will have to reroot which takes 30 seconds.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I odin'd a stock tar (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49213024), and now I'm stuck in the "android is upgrading" screen. I tried a hard reset, data wipe and it still goes to the "android is upgrading..." screen, "starting apps"

Does it make a difference that I was never on a stock MK2? I never updated, I was rooted stock with a bootloader and kept getting the annoying "update downloaded" icon, but never processed it - just ignored it (an occasionally deleted it in file explorer, but it would eventually download again). Help?

Last edited:

leaderbuilder

I odin'd a stock tar (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49213024), and now I'm stuck in the "android is upgrading" screen. I tried a hard reset, data wipe and it still goes to the "android is upgrading..." screen, "starting apps"

Does it make a difference that I was never on a stock MK2? I never updated, I was rooted stock with a bootloader and kept getting the annoying "update downloaded" icon, but never processed it - just ignored it (an occasionally deleted it in file explorer, but it would eventually download again). Help?
You didn't brick your device. It turns on and starts to boot it's not dead.
Please go back to here and read through the ENTIRE thread.
Also when you are Odin'ng use version 3.09 (search for it it's here) AND run as administrator.
Power off the phone completely, then go to download mode. Start Odin on your PC then connect your phone to it.
Run Odin.
Many people have used this method to get them back to 'zero' - stock MK2 ROM. You will have to root again - you can use CF-Autoroot or Saferoot; both are here too.
Slow down take your time and do some reading too.
Good luck

Reactions: CtDMonet

CtDMonet

Nov 2, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Also when you are Odin'ng use version 3.09 (search for it it's here) AND run as administrator.
Power off the phone completely, then go to download mode. Start Odin on your PC then connect your phone to it.
Run Odin.
Many people have used this method to get them back to 'zero' - stock MK2 ROM. You will have to root again - you can use CF-Autoroot or Saferoot; both are here too.
Good luck

I've done that with odin 3.07 and 3.09 several times. I've downloaded the file several times, wiped-hard reset several times, and still get stuck on boot (sometimes on the pulsing SAMSUNG, sometimes on the Android is updating screen... still no work.

I've seen something about PIT files? Before initiating this process I was having problems with memory which probably initiated trying something new (flash something without bloat -- only install the stuff you use...yadayadayada). I might have had a problem with something there. I keep copying files onto my SD card, and it might have a problem. I'm currently backing up my photos from it to reformat it, and see if that's why I can't copy a ROM to it. Is there a new partition file I can flash? I tried checking that box in odin once, and it errored out.

leaderbuilder

I've done that with odin 3.07 and 3.09 several times. I've downloaded the file several times, wiped-hard reset several times, and still get stuck on boot (sometimes on the pulsing SAMSUNG, sometimes on the Android is updating screen... still no work.

I've seen something about PIT files? Before initiating this process I was having problems with memory which probably initiated trying something new (flash something without bloat -- only install the stuff you use...yadayadayada). I might have had a problem with something there. I keep copying files onto my SD card, and it might have a problem. I'm currently backing up my photos from it to reformat it, and see if that's why I can't copy a ROM to it. Is there a new partition file I can flash? I tried checking that box in odin once, and it errored out.

Do not go the pit route. You'll surely destroy your phone.
Boot to stock recovery and try a factory reset

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

CtDMonet

Nov 2, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

Thanks for your help....I'm generally pretty handy searching the forums, but this hasn't responded like it should (always hangs - even after factory reset). I found an old TWRP backup, and restored it. It didn't work, as I had already flashed the (unsuccessful) stock MK2, that had already updraded to MK2 (and the old backup was from MF9, I think?). From there I didn't have data, but I could wifi and download the Stock NAE with root (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2650706.

I'm dealing with 4 month old text messages and expired passwords, but it is working.....:victory:

Reactions: leaderbuilder

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Best bet to clean all the nasties is a complete Odin wipe - grab the full MK2 .tar and flash that. It'll wipe all your partitions and set things right. The tar is here in the forums search a little.
    Run Titanium if you want to back up some app data but don't restore any system data.
    No the super clean tar will have Knox and all bloatware. And no root. You will have to reroot which takes 30 seconds.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Run Odin.
    Good luck

Thanks for your help....I'm generally pretty handy searching the forums, but this hasn't responded like it should (always hangs - even after factory reset). I found an old TWRP backup, and restored it. It didn't work, as I had already flashed the (unsuccessful) stock MK2, that had already updraded to MK2 (and the old backup was from MF9, I think?). From there I didn't have data, but I could wifi and download the Stock NAE with root (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2650706.

I'm dealing with 4 month old text messages and expired passwords, but it is working.....:victory: