[Q] changing kernels?

Search This thread

alexm231

Mar 12, 2014
Thessaloniki
I've looked into many threads, but have still not been able to find a definitive answer: when changing kernels (going for example from ElementalX to Franco or Purify) should I do a dirty re-flash of the rom and then flash the new kernel or will just a flash of the new kernel be enough?
I know it's been asked before, but I can't seem to find a clear answer.
Thanks

Alex

Primokorn

Nov 17, 2012
OnePlus 8 Pro
I've looked into many threads, but have still not been able to find a definitive answer: when changing kernels (going for example from ElementalX to Franco or Purify) should I do a dirty re-flash of the rom and then flash the new kernel or will just a flash of the new kernel be enough?
Thanks

Alex
1st option

Reactions: alexm231

alexm231

Mar 12, 2014
Thessaloniki

Thanks for the reply.
So (just to make sure I have it correct) right now I am running Purity + Purify. If I want to switch to a Purity + Franco setup, I need to dirty flash Purity rom (in which case it brings the kernel back to the standard Purity kernel) and then Franco kernel after that, right?
Do I need to wipe cache or anything else?
Thanks again for all the help

Alex

Primokorn

Nov 17, 2012
OnePlus 8 Pro
Thanks for the reply.
So (just to make sure I have it correct) right now I am running Purity + Purify. If I want to switch to a Purity + Franco setup, I need to dirty flash Purity rom (in which case it brings the kernel back to the standard Purity kernel) and then Franco kernel after that, right?

Alex
You're right. To prevent any issue it's better to follow this rule regardless of the custom kernel. We need to dirty flash our current rom due to modifications done by the kernel on the ramdisk.
You never need to wipe before flashing a kernel.

Reactions: alexm231

alexm231

Mar 12, 2014
Thessaloniki
You're right. To prevent any issue it's better to follow this rule regardless of the custom kernel. We need to dirty flash our current rom due to modifications done by the kernel on the ramdisk.

Great. Thanks so much for the detailed answer, it clears up my confusion!
Now off to try Franco's kernel ;)

Alex

alexm231

Mar 12, 2014
Thessaloniki

I actually have an additional question: do we need the same process even if we're talking about the newer version of the same kernel? Like going from an older version of Franco's to the newest

Alex

alexm231

Mar 12, 2014
Thessaloniki
Its better to ask "Silly" questions and understand what you're doing than it is to brick your phone then ask for help.

We'll answer your questions, dont worry. Just ensure you read all the sticky threads in Q&A and General.

Yes, I consider your guideline (on your signature) very good advice indeed.
Thanks again to all

Alex

J

justinisloco

Just wanted to add to this...

If I'm on the stock ROM. I decide to flash elementalx. Then, want to switch to Franco or something, would I need to flash the stock img? Or can i just flash the stock kernel?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

matts290

May 31, 2011

If I'm on the stock ROM. I decide to flash elementalx. Then, want to switch to Franco or something, would I need to flash the stock img? Or can i just flash the stock kernel?

Wondering the same thing. If I am currently on stock rom with franco kernel, in order to switch over to elemental do I have to flash the stock rom zip from the thread here on XDA and then install the elemental kernel?

J

justinisloco

Wondering the same thing. If I am currently on stock rom with franco kernel, in order to switch over to elemental do I have to flash the stock rom zip from the thread here on XDA and then install the elemental kernel?

I know I had to do that when I flashed elemental. Otherwise some apps won't open. But now I want to find out was the the full correct way? Or was it the lazy way

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info

Flash the stock boot.img and system.img and then flash the kernel you want to change to..

I have also tried just flashing the stock boot.img and then the custom kernel.. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. So I would reccomend flashing both! (boot and system)

akmsr

Dec 4, 2013
DeLand, Florida
also check to see if the original kernel left any init.d files, some kernels do. you would want to delete them, as those could, probably would, not play well with your next kernel.

another noob question,
does your advice still applies if someone flashed both stock system.img and stock boot.img?
if it is where that file will be located?
thanks.

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
another noob question,
does your advice still applies if someone flashed both stock system.img and stock boot.img?
thanks.

yes. they arent located in either of those locations, so my advice applies, and is the only reason why i posted this. they are located in /etc/init.d/. you either dont have that location (best option), have it but an empty folder, or have an init.d folder with files in it. if there are files there, delete them.

Reactions: akmsr

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Flashing a system.img will overwrite init.d scripts. /etc is a symbolic link to /system/etc so when you replace /system/etc with whatever is in a ROM.zip or a system.img, these changes apply to /etc too.

If you look in any ROM.zip or kernel.zip, they all flash their scripts to /system/etc/init.d

Reactions: Postal Psycho

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks

Alex
    1st option
    Thanks for the reply.

Alex
    No only when you change kernel you need to do it.

Thank you, I promise I will (try) not (to) ask any more silly questions:eek:

Alex

Its better to ask "Silly" questions and understand what you're doing than it is to brick your phone then ask for help.

We'll answer your questions, dont worry. Just ensure you read all the sticky threads in Q&A and General.
    another noob question,
    thanks.

yes. they arent located in either of those locations, so my advice applies, and is the only reason why i posted this. they are located in /etc/init.d/. you either dont have that location (best option), have it but an empty folder, or have an init.d folder with files in it. if there are files there, delete them.