[Q] Unrooted Phone Will Not Boot

Search This thread

BeefJerkyAddict

May 13, 2014
Hello, everyone! I'm in search of a hero who can help me resolve this (frustrating) issue! I'm sure you have heard it before: my phone will not boot fully; it is instead stuck permanently on the white VERIZON logo screen.

Model: SCH-I545
Carrier: VERIZON
Color: BLACK
Size: 16GB
The phone has not been rooted.
It does not have USB debugging enabled.
I have not installed any custom recovery software or mods.
There is no external SD card installed.

First, some back story. My phone asked me to perform a software update roughly a week ago. About a minute into the update, it told me the update failed. I assume this occurred because I was on the train and passed through a tunnel. Afterwards, my phone began acting up, rebooting itself randomly, and applications(such as web browser, text messaging) would randomly crash on me. I assumed another update would come to resolve the issue, but unfortunately yesterday(Sunday), my phone again rebooted itself, only this time it would not make it past the white VERIZON screen.

My goal is simply to recover my files from the device before either returning it or performing a factory reset. I have scoured the internet for hours trying to find a way to achieve this. I can boot my device into the stock recovery console and into ODIN download mode. I have tried clearing my phone's cache in recovery mode, which did not help. I have tried booting into safe mode by repeatedly tapping the menu screen, but it did not help.

I have ADB installed and a USB driver from Samsung and a USB driver from Google. I can get my phone to appear using ADB in sideload mode only while in the recovery console. Unfortunately, this is of limited use because apparently it can only be used to install software packages, and the phone seemingly rejects all attempts to install packages such as CWM and TWRK, which I had hoped would allow me to use the ADB pull command.

I have tried installing these mods using ODIN as well. Again, failure due to security apparently. :crying:

If anyone has any idea how I can retrieve the files from my phone, you'll be my hero forever! :cool:

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Hello, everyone! I'm in search of a hero who can help me resolve this (frustrating) issue! I'm sure you have heard it before: my phone will not boot fully; it is instead stuck permanently on the white VERIZON logo screen.

First, some back story. My phone asked me to perform a software update roughly a week ago. About a minute into the update, it told me the update failed. I assume this occurred because I was on the train and passed through a tunnel. Afterwards, my phone began acting up, rebooting itself randomly, and applications(such as web browser, text messaging) would randomly crash on me. I assumed another update would come to resolve the issue, but unfortunately yesterday(Sunday), my phone again rebooted itself, only this time it would not make it past the white VERIZON screen.

My goal is simply to recover my files from the device before either returning it or performing a factory reset. I have scoured the internet for hours trying to find a way to achieve this. I can boot my device into the stock recovery console and into ODIN download mode. I have tried clearing my phone's cache in recovery mode, which did not help. I have tried booting into safe mode by repeatedly tapping the menu screen, but it did not help.

I have ADB installed and a USB driver from Samsung and a USB driver from Google. I can get my phone to appear using ADB in sideload mode only while in the recovery console. Unfortunately, this is of limited use because apparently it can only be used to install software packages, and the phone seemingly rejects all attempts to install packages such as CWM and TWRK, which I had hoped would allow me to use the ADB pull command.

I have tried installing these mods using ODIN as well. Again, failure due to security apparently. :crying:

If anyone has any idea how I can retrieve the files from my phone, you'll be my hero forever! :cool:

Sounds like that upgrade definitely went wrong. Since you were upgrading to Kit Kat I'd say flash the No Wipe file from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2735172

Your phone won't allow for CWM or TWRP recoveries since it's a build past MDK. Also if you want prior to using that Odin file go to play store and get the app " Samsung phone info" and run that app and take a screen shot of the bootloader section. Actually do that before hand anyways. I'll link you to it

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 06:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 AM ----------

Here
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.vndnguyen.phoneinfo

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur
hopefully people will learn by this NEVER take any update while traveling, too much can and will go wrong.............

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Yea I think people have to much faith in Verizon. There not setup to handle anything but a perfect download and install when it comes to their OTAs. They're best done on WiFi at home

Reactions: decaturbob

mcbeat257

May 8, 2014
Fairfax
Google Pixel 6 Pro

Hi BeefJerkyAddict,
I would reccomend to do a total full wipe with Odin, this usually solves all of your problems. All of your stuff should be clear for restoring once you do that. But after you do the full wipe, immediately go to settings and then software update because your phone will be on android 4.3 and not 4.4.2.

Here is the link with the instructions as well:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2578209

You're welcome.;)

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Yea I guess I'm just biased to updating straight to kit kat lol if the op has the chance to stay on mk2 he might as well. And I suggested no wipe first just so not to lose data. Up to the op though

BeefJerkyAddict

May 13, 2014
Hi guys,

Just posting to say THANK YOU for the help. After a long download, I got ahold of the VRUFNC5 No-Wipe file and successfully installed it using ODIN3 v3.09 without a hitch! All of my pictures, videos, text messages, are all right where they were, and my operating system is upgraded.

Thank you so much for taking the time to point me in the right direction. :) I had nearly given up!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yea I think people have to much faith in Verizon. There not setup to handle anything but a perfect download and install when it comes to their OTAs. They're best done on WiFi at home