[Q] Update to newest official firmware on custom rom.

Search This thread

sblop

Sep 11, 2007
Svendborg
www.info2us.dk
My M8 is flashed with Viper 1.6. I however wish to use latest firmware from the official OTA update, to get the newest radio etc. I am however unable to flash this.
I flashed the stock recovery, however the update does not succeed via fastboot. Error 99 something.
Are you able to guide me how to do this update. Is it at all possible, when not running a stock rom?

I would like to avoid going back to stock, to be able to do this, unless necessary, but I do not know if this is possible.

My former phone was a Samsung Note, where I was able to flash about everything with the Odin Flash utility. Is it simply because I am S-ON This causes problems?

In the Viper thread this has been asked, but no clear answers are given, as it is not viper specific.

[/COLOR]
My M8 is flashed with Viper 1.6. I however wish to use latest firmware from the official OTA update, to get the newest radio etc. I am however unable to flash this.
I flashed the stock recovery, however the update does not succeed via fastboot. Error 99 something.
Are you able to guide me how to do this update. Is it at all possible, when not running a stock rom?

I would like to avoid going back to stock, to be able to do this, unless necessary, but I do not know if this is possible.

My former phone was a Samsung Note, where I was able to flash about everything with the Odin Flash utility. Is it simply because I am S-ON This causes problems?

In the Viper thread this has been asked, but no clear answers are given, as it is not viper specific.

First of all make it clear what you want to do.If you want to do OTA of viper from 1.6 to 1.7 you must have a custom recovery like twrp then go to settings->about->software updates.If you want to get official HTC's OTA then you have to be on Stock.you sshould follow this guide http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2735235

SmiLey497

May 7, 2009
SF, CA - NYC

You need to be S-OFF to flash firmware. You would need to go back to stock and apply the OTA, however, you can flash the radio while S-ON.

Last edited:

sblop

Sep 11, 2007
Svendborg
www.info2us.dk
Thanks for your replies.

I of cause know I am unable to directly install the OTA.
I am interested in the radio and other relevant parts of the OTA.

Is the best solution to revert to a locked bootloader/Stock recovery, and simply update?

The radio itself I assume I can flash with fastboot. (fastboot flash radio radio.img)

The firmware however also contains the following files
Boot.img
Hboot
Radio
RCData
Recovery.

I am unaware what RC data is? Recovery is not relevant. Hboot, I assume an older version is better, in case a weakness is found in the old version, leaving boot and radio. Would you update boot? Do I gain anything at all? If yes, I assume I can use this command? (fastboot flash boot boot.img). Or am I restricted flashing the boot, as long as I am S-on?