[GUIDE] What to do if you get the UPDATE Notification (OTA) while rooted.

Search This thread

MBIER

Oct 28, 2010
redlands, ca
titanium backup

Hey just a side note if you really want titanium back up and you dont want to pay for the pro the developer has released the pro apk on here a few times and all you have to do is install it. just search titanium backup pro apk in the search field and install it works like a charm everytime!

mknewman

Dec 8, 2006
Houston, Tx
Just saw this:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/04/samsung-stalls-uk-ice-cream-sandwich-roll-out-for-unlocked-galax/

So you paid attention to pundits and bought that Galaxy S II outright in the hopes that future software updates would arrive on your device first. And then reality came crashing in. It appears SIM-free is not the way Samsung wants consumers to be, as carrier-agnostic handsets in the UK will be the last to receive Ice Cream Sandwich. The move, though frustrating for many, is not as arbitrary and unfair as it might initially appear to be. Speaking to CNET UK, a company rep confirmed that this upgrade delay has everything to do with cross-carrier testing, compatibility and approval, owing to the "variety of networks" unlocked GS II's can access. Once it does get an unanimous greenlight, however, expect to see the final leg of that TouchWizzed Android 4.0 roll out commence.

rkymtndave

Mar 3, 2011
rooted with stock

I did the update after rooting to get rid of bloatware, the update took just fine. only thing I had to do was reroot the phone.

flashfox

Apr 12, 2006
West Melbourne, Florida
rkymtndave <-- Am I misunderstanding something here, but did you manage to get an update while your SGS2 was rooted?

I ask as my SGS2 is rooted but still running the standard ROM. I had read that we will NOT be able to get the upcoming ICS "pushed" update unless we un-root. I assume that one can still get the update by "pulling it" from Samsung via KIES once the update is made available.

Just asking as I do want ICS and I wonder if I have to go through the whole initialization process (wipe, reload stock ROM, etc.) or if there is an easier way?

Chochiwpg

Feb 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Is the stock recovery from Telus T989D the same as T-Mobile T989?

Currently, I am just running the stock Telus ROM that came with my phone. However, I am rooted and I do have CWM Recovery installed as well so I can make backups or flash ROM's if I choose.

From my understanding, when the ICS update becomes available I can use ES file explorer to remove root by deleting both wssync apk's under /system/app. Then reboot.

I would also have to install the stock recovery on my phone. Where can I find the Telus stock recover or can I use T-Mobile version? Also, would I install the stock recovery with odin after I remove the wssync apk's to remove root or before?

Once the update has been downloaded and installed, what is the best way to re-root the device since it will now be on ICS? Thanks.

rkymtndave

Mar 3, 2011
rkymtndave <-- Am I misunderstanding something here, but did you manage to get an update while your SGS2 was rooted?

I ask as my SGS2 is rooted but still running the standard ROM. I had read that we will NOT be able to get the upcoming ICS "pushed" update unless we un-root. I assume that one can still get the update by "pulling it" from Samsung via KIES once the update is made available.

Just asking as I do want ICS and I wonder if I have to go through the whole initialization process (wipe, reload stock ROM, etc.) or if there is an easier way?

I did the update through Kies and it does update and rebloats the phone and unroots, but a quick root and download no bloat and good as new.

Ibztone

Jun 23, 2011
Is the stock recovery from Telus T989D the same as T-Mobile T989?

Currently, I am just running the stock Telus ROM that came with my phone. However, I am rooted and I do have CWM Recovery installed as well so I can make backups or flash ROM's if I choose.

From my understanding, when the ICS update becomes available I can use ES file explorer to remove root by deleting both wssync apk's under /system/app. Then reboot.

I would also have to install the stock recovery on my phone. Where can I find the Telus stock recover or can I use T-Mobile version? Also, would I install the stock recovery with odin after I remove the wssync apk's to remove root or before?

Once the update has been downloaded and installed, what is the best way to re-root the device since it will now be on ICS? Thanks.

You shouldn't need to remove root to get the update. In the past on my Vibrant I needed to go back to the stock launcher to receive a OTA update, but on my Galaxy SII it prompted to me to install the maintenance update even with bloatware frozen in titanium pro and using Go Launcher EX. It removed my root once I updated, but I'm going to wait for ICS to re-root.

gregs1213

Feb 23, 2012
So I just got done rooting my friends phone and putting the Juggernaut rom on it less than a week ago.. Now it looks like T-Mobile is rolling out ICS for GSII (I know because he is texting me asking if he should do the update)...

He said he downloaded it but did not install it yet, and it asks him if he wants to update it everyday.. He keeps saying no everyday..

Should I go through the same steps in this guide and delete the "wssyncmldm.apk" or will it keep asking since he already downloaded it? Just looking for some suggestions.

icefire6933

Feb 28, 2012
helpful

i did the titanium backup freezing of the app. Worked great for me, no more notification!!

~B~

sparkie6point0

Jun 23, 2012
Chicago
I grabbed the update from Kies - it's genuine ICS. If you go into Settings and then About Phone after the update, it reads that it is Android version 4.0.3. Plus there are new things that didn't come on the original 2.3.6, such as a very different Sammy app store (don't download from them - a lot of their apps contain embedded ads - the kind you have to opt out of or it'll show stars on your status bar) and the settings boards look very different, among other things.

Now - for the root part. I had the phone rooted before the changeover, but once that took place it was bye bye root. I used the same method I did for the initial root, only now you need to use a different version of the superuser.apk in order to make it work. The one you used for the pre-ICS update root WILL NOT WORK. It took me almost an hour and traversing quite a few places on the Web before finding the new superuser.apk for ICS, and unfortunately I don't remember where I got it from right now. All I remember is that I downloaded it onto my PC and copied it to the SD card, then flashed it on the phone. If I can find where I got it from I will definitely set up a link.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, so I've seen this question asked I don't know how many times in each Rom at the Dev Section and also in the General Forum so I decided to make a quick guide.

- If you're on any ROM or even stock rooted and get prompted to update to the new update you can do a couple things.

1.- If you don't already have Titanium Back up, Download it from the market and FREEZE Device Management. Once you freeze it just reboot and the update will go away. I was going to recommend Bloat Freezer, but I couldn't find it on the Market, not sure what's going on with that.
    This is the easiest step * ** *

Titanium Backup - https://market.android.com/search?q=titanium+back+up&c=apps
    *An alternative would be using Root Explorer -
    Under System/ App/ wssyncmldm.apk Just delete.

Root Explorer - https://market.android.com/search?q=root+explorer&c=apps

2.- If you must have the update for some reason and don't want to just flash a ROM that's already 2.3.6, then it's best to go back to stock. UPDATE will not work unless you have STOCK RECOVERY on your phone.

To go back to stock refer to this Guide made by Jangst123.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1321811

3.- You can also try to flash your nandroid backup and then Odin the stock recovery. You also might need the stock kernel if you had a custom one installed, in this case flash Stock kernel first before your nandroid.

Stock Kernel - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2510030/kernel-stock.zip

4.- If you're only rooted with the stock Rom you can try to update without doing anything, but you will lose Root. There has been reports that it has worked for some, but not for others.
    Be Careful with what you decide to do!!

== The update you are getting is NOT ICS, it is an update to 2.3.6 and for the Wifi Calling App. == In order for Wifi calling to work you MUST have the New Sim card that came with the phone. If you don't have one go to your T-mobile store and get one. =

*** If you rather just get the Baseband/Modem by itself then you can get it from here http://rootzwiki.com/topic/11883-odin-tmo-sgsii-modem-collection-eam-kang12142011/
    Thanks to Team Kang.

Hope this HELPS, now if people only used the SEARCH engine. I think I'm going to make a guide on how to use it, LOL.

*I am not responsible if you damage your expensive phone in any way. Use this guide at your own risk.*
    Or....... just use free es file explorer on market ( don't forget to enable root under its settings ) and backup/delete both wssync apk's under /system/app. Then reboot :)

Takes less than 2 minutes and can be done without odin, firmware flashing, ect

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium
    Bloat Freezer is definitely not an app to use for freezing the Device management app anymore. An earlier forum post pointed out that it's been pulled from the market, and as this article cites, with good reason. Alternatives suggested are SystemCleanup, NoBloat, and as the OP pointed out, Titanium Backup.

Good Luck..
    If you are Low on cash and dont want to pay for titanium backup ... Ultimate Backup Does the job for free :)
    Thanks for the info, i switched different rom's due to the update message stuck in the notification bar