[Q] How do I install custom roms on my rooted Galaxy Player 5.0 USA?

Search This thread

mrjaredbeta

Apr 5, 2012
Well, I am new to this forum because I recently bought a Galaxy Player. This is my first Android device and I have rooted it using SOC. I have installed clockworkmod but there is no option for the Galaxy Player. I have downloaded the ICS rom for the 5.0 USA version and I am just a complete noob to custom roms. Can anyone direct me to a goods tutorial on this or just a quick rundown on how to do it, I am just a really confused 14 year old... Thanks :)

Skeledr0id

Feb 10, 2011
www.nothackers.com
Well, I am new to this forum because I recently bought a Galaxy Player. This is my first Android device and I have rooted it using SOC. I have installed clockworkmod but there is no option for the Galaxy Player. I have downloaded the ICS rom for the 5.0 USA version and I am just a complete noob to custom roms. Can anyone direct me to a goods tutorial on this or just a quick rundown on how to do it, I am just a really confused 14 year old... Thanks :)
just pretend you didn't do any of that and...

1. download odin3 v1.3 (windows application)
2. download the samsung usb drivers and install them, i can't remember where i got them
3. plug phone into usb, turn off while plugged in, turn back on while holding volume down (maybe it was up?)
4. go into odin and click the pda button and select...
5. this file and press "start" (i think that's what it's labeled)
6. the phone will reboot itself back to normal
7. copy this zip onto your sd.
8. turn the phone off, and turn back on while holding volume up
9. back that **** up, i dunno what the hell it's labeled
10. wipe data/cache/dalvik (dalik is under advanced)
11. choose to install zip from sd, choose the "this zip" from step 7
12. choose install from zip again -> ICS ROM you downloaded
13. reboot, try out ICS for 2 seconds
14. turn off, boot into recovery (the volume up + power **** we keep doing)
15. install from zip -> Google Apps zip
16. reboot and enjoy ICS and google apps and all the other cool stuff the internet has to offer

Reactions: mrjaredbeta

mrjaredbeta

Apr 5, 2012
I have installed it successfully, however I don't think it detects my internal SD card. Do you know why that is?

DeLaVicci

Feb 15, 2012
I have installed it successfully, however I don't think it detects my internal SD card. Do you know why that is?
This is why you should always read the entire post when you download a ROM. That issue is mentioned several times through the thread, and it has yet to have been resolved to the best of my knowledge. But always look into what your flashing, otherwise you'll probably end up with a really shiny paperweight on your hands.

mrjaredbeta

Apr 5, 2012
Yes, I should've looked at the whole thread but I f'd it up badly now... So, I read what you said about the "SD card problem in the thread" and I took a look and saw that you had to switch around /emmc (I think?) and /sdcard around in the vold.fstab file in the /etc directory. SO, I was stupid and extracted the whole .zip of the ROM, changed the contents in the vold.fstab file, re-zipped it up, and tried to flash it again. Unfortunately, I tried to flash but this is what CWM Recovery said:
-- Installing: /emmc/ICS/3-31.zip
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...
Installation aborted.

... It's probably because the signature verification failed (because of no signature). And I was also being so stupid as to deleting the original ROM off of my SD card... I also note that I am doing this all from an internal, I do not have an external... This is what I am going to:

Get an external microSD and microSD reader for the PC
Put the original ROM on it
Flash it from the external

I am guessing that it would work from that way, as I probably f's up the internal. Can someone clear this up? Will this method work?

mrjaredbeta

Apr 5, 2012
Disregard my last post, I am all set back to the stock ROM with no problems. Anyways, thanks for the support, and I will always try to look at the whole thread before flashing a new ROM.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    just pretend you didn't do any of that and...

1. download odin3 v1.3 (windows application)
    2. download the samsung usb drivers and install them, i can't remember where i got them
    3. plug phone into usb, turn off while plugged in, turn back on while holding volume down (maybe it was up?)
    4. go into odin and click the pda button and select...
    5. this file and press "start" (i think that's what it's labeled)
    6. the phone will reboot itself back to normal
    7. copy this zip onto your sd.
    8. turn the phone off, and turn back on while holding volume up
    9. back that **** up, i dunno what the hell it's labeled
    10. wipe data/cache/dalvik (dalik is under advanced)
    11. choose to install zip from sd, choose the "this zip" from step 7
    12. choose install from zip again -> ICS ROM you downloaded
    13. reboot, try out ICS for 2 seconds
    14. turn off, boot into recovery (the volume up + power **** we keep doing)
    15. install from zip -> Google Apps zip
    16. reboot and enjoy ICS and google apps and all the other cool stuff the internet has to offer