[TUTORIAL][S-ON/S-OFF][BL UNL] PERMANENT ROOT Wildfire S

Search This thread
Jan 20, 2012
can't root it:(

I unlocked the bootloader through HTCdev, when I tried with htcsupertoolv3 both combination (1 and 3; 2 and 3) it's saying ROOTED but it's not. Any ideas? Thanks.

Nicknoxx

Jan 19, 2012
Have you tried installing Superuser and Busybox from the market then rebooting?
Worked for me.

LucidSomnia

May 28, 2011
Paphos
after update to 2.3.5 from 2.3.3, then unlock bootloader using htcdev and root using HTC Supertool 3. All sucessfull.

[Q] Factory data reset menu is still working? if yes, results in a root or unroot condition? unlocked or I have to unlock again using htcdev?

Tried that too, had similar problem, and rooted successfully via fastboot

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

mizogs

Jan 20, 2012
London
I didn't think I was rooted but I was

Massive thanks to all the guys giving their time to this thread.

I ploughed though all the posts because I went through the steps in the 1st tutorial but still failed the test in the "Check root basic" app and couldn't su in a terminal emulator.

Seems all I needed to do was install "superuser" (free) from the market.

Now for some custom ROMs!

Tsadila

Apr 3, 2008
Dave i had the same problem and this morning i rooted my htc wfs.

Here what i did (i will skip the bootloader process because is very easy to do it)

1. I downloaded WFS Manager from here
2. Run the run.bat and then (i had connected the phone with usb debugging on and active HTC Sync mode) press the 1 to do leave the script to its things (i wanted mostly for cwm recovery)
3. I made Backup through recovery as it suggested.
4. I download the file root.zip from here.
5. Through recovery i active usb (from Mount menu -last option-) and i transfered the file root.zip to the root of the memory card (from PC).
6. After that i choose "install zip from sd card" and then "choose zip from sd card" and by pressing 2-3 times the volume up button i found the root.zip and pressed the power button to select it and then the YES to run it.
7. Then it loads some files and i had the message that everything was ok. I found the superuser app in the HTC Menu and i tried to do something that only if you were rooted you can do with success!!! :D

I hope to help this mini guide with everyone that has a problem with other tutorials... (FYI i have HTC WFs Vodafone GR Branded...)

Now we wait for the S-Off to come...!!! :D

@ VeZReVouLiS

Now I may sound like a wanker, but I dont get it. Probably because I got my first android few days ago. I am with Vodafone GR as well so I guess your sollution guarantees my sucess as well.

I have sucessfully unlocked the bootloader through HTC dev and also counted thousands of zerlings to no avail. In your tutorial, I dont seem to be able to find the run.bat (downladed the manager exe and the root.zip). Any chance of a step by step guide for dummies?

Much appreciated

EDIT - SOLUTION (Methinks)
Being impatience, I went ahead and did the following
Device (WFS, GR Vodafone GSM), was already Hboot unlocked with HTC Dev tool. Step by step info found here, although HTC guide is not bad
a) Copied root.zip, as described above, in SD (Never did figure how to copy it from boot menu as above)
b) Enabled debugging as above and connected the phone with HTC sync
c) Run Wildfire S Manager.exe, as above, and opted 1
d) After it run its course, I did the backup
e) Step 5 as above, although I skipped copying the root.zip as this was allreadt done
f) Step 6 as above
f) Activated successfully superbox program (Found in the market. Previously, It would not work)
g) Titanium backup reports rooted
Well, I don’t have a brick YET, so I suppose it did the trick. Hurray or did I screw up something I don’t even know about?

Question. Do I need to also keep the superuser program installed? (Was installed previously, along with superbox and titanium backup, none of which were working at that time. NOW, they do :D

Last edited:

tanjinjack

Feb 11, 2011
Will really appreciate if OP will mention that debugging mode must be switched on - not everyone will bother to read through the pages!

Crazyrooster

Feb 8, 2007
Emmen
www.techzine.nl

Here what i did (i will skip the bootloader process because is very easy to do it)

2. Run the run.bat and then (i had connected the phone with usb debugging on and active HTC Sync mode) press the 1 to do leave the script to its things (i wanted mostly for cwm recovery)
5. Through recovery i active usb (from Mount menu -last option-) and i transfered the file root.zip to the root of the memory card (from PC).
6. After that i choose "install zip from sd card" and then "choose zip from sd card" and by pressing 2-3 times the volume up button i found the root.zip and pressed the power button to select it and then the YES to run it.
7. Then it loads some files and i had the message that everything was ok. I found the superuser app in the HTC Menu and i tried to do something that only if you were rooted you can do with success!!! :D

I hope to help this mini guide with everyone that has a problem with other tutorials... (FYI i have HTC WFs Vodafone GR Branded...)

This worked for me. Thanks for helping me getting my Wildfire S rooted! :D

daedricgeek

Feb 4, 2012
Root method

Hi ...
I had some problem with the supertool (tried 2,3 and 1,3 ):(
2,3 just got stuck (10+ min) and 1,3 went to flashing rooted but phone rebooted without root .
I have a S-on unlocked marvel...

So I read some other threads . I put together this method (Credit to various ppl - sorry forgot the posts) :

1.You need fastboot.exe adb.exe adbwinapi.dll and adbwinusbapi.dll from the unlock process (google it otherwise)...
and
CWM recovery.img(5.0.2.7) Attached as zip file

Flash the CWM using this code from command prompt in folder where you put all the above files :
Code:
adb reboot-bootloader
after the phone enters HBOOT(white bg with color text)
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

2.Reboot . CWM is now installed . You may wish to backup current ROM .

3.Download the signed su zip file from "superuser web site" [i used this link ]

4. put this zip file onto your sdcard and reboot into recovery :
Code:
adb reboot recovery
)

5.Choose "install from zip file" and select the Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip file .

This will install both the su binary and superuser apk

6. reboot ....

Profit

Thnx in advance for your thanks:)

Attachments

• recovery.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 347
Last edited:

kmpksprabhu

Hi ...
2,3 just got stuck (10+ min) and 1,3 went to flashing rooted but phone rebooted without root .

So I read some other threads . I put together this method (Credit to various ppl - sorry forgot the posts) :

1.You need fastboot.exe adb.exe adbwinapi.dll and adbwinusbapi.dll from the unlock process (google it otherwise)...
and

Flash the CWM using this code from command prompt in folder where you put all the above files :
Code:
adb reboot-bootloader
Code:

Code:
adb reboot recovery
)

5.Choose "install from zip file" and select the Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip file .

6. reboot ....

Profit

Fantastic one!! Thanks a lot. Was a breeze to complete.

Can you help me with how to have ext2 etc...

-Prabhu

Reactions: AlphaRayz

seaskyways

Feb 13, 2012
beirut
As now we can unlock Wildfire S Bootloader I tried some ways to permanently root this device.

Gingerbreak seems not to work, however, Zerg rush does.

You either need an S-OFF device OR an S-ON device with unlocked bootloader
Read here how to unlock bootloader: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=21114312

There is a VERY EASY way to root WFS now. I take no credits in writing any stuff related to rooting that, I just want to show how you can easily root the WFS and give newbies a first station to come to.

Please come here, and download HTC Supertools by frigid, give him a million thanks, download tools and run the supertools.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1426276

Be sure to use HTC Supertool v3 (directly download here: http://www.multiupload.com/ZNGJ64FZDW)

1) Press 1 (Prep (using zergRush CREDITS to Revolutionary)) and Enter, zerg rush is now run
2) Press 3 (Attempt Perm Root (Must prep first)) and Enter, now the device will get rooted
3) type reboot and Enter to reboot your device.

Afterwards your WFS will be permanently rooted.

If you stuck rooting the device try this:
1) Press 2 and Enter, instead of 1
2) Press 3 (Attempt Perm Root (Must prep first)) and Enter, now the device will get rooted

I tested it with European latest Stock Rom 2.3.5 and HTC-Dev unlocked bootloader. I can confirm that a file could be copied to /system, then I rebooted again and the file was still there.

Or just download superoneclick and press Root !

Reactions: kmpksprabhu

d0nw1t

Sep 9, 2010
help plz

i have an unlocked bootloader WFS...tried to root it through htc supertools v3..the supertools window showed rooted..but hen i checked it using root check frm the market...it told me my phn does not have proper root access...plz help:(:(:(

ayhamx360

May 19, 2011
Please GUYS PLEASE HELP ME :(

If unlocked my bootloader and did every thing
I followed this method
And did the steps i pressed 1 at the start at gave me some words and asked me like twice to press any key to continue
Then i pressed 3 it said rooted
I typed reboot
But i see no super user and my device not rooted please help me

Im going insane ! I tried alot of methodes to root
Likw root unlocker
And ginger break
Superone click
Nothing worked
Please please please guys help me to root it ! I dont know whats wrong !

G

GuestK00178

Or just download superoneclick and press Root !

I thought superoneclick isn't working on the Wildfire S?

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Please GUYS PLEASE HELP ME :(

If unlocked my bootloader and did every thing
I followed this method
And did the steps i pressed 1 at the start at gave me some words and asked me like twice to press any key to continue
Then i pressed 3 it said rooted
I typed reboot
But i see no super user and my device not rooted please help me

Im going insane ! I tried alot of methodes to root
Likw root unlocker
And ginger break
Superone click
Nothing worked
Please please please guys help me to root it ! I dont know whats wrong !

m suffering da same prob As above....plz help :(:confused:

I had that twice with supertool. I just tried again and it worked. Though you might just need to download superuser.

singha1

Mar 28, 2012
Unable to Flash Custom ROM on HTC wildfire S

As now we can unlock Wildfire S Bootloader I tried some ways to permanently root this device.

Read here how to unlock bootloader: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=21114312

There is a VERY EASY way to root WFS now. I take no credits in writing any stuff related to rooting that, I just want to show how you can easily root the WFS and give newbies a first station to come to.

Please come here, and download HTC Supertools by frigid, give him a million thanks, download tools and run the supertools.

Be sure to use HTC Supertool v3 (directly download here: http://www.multiupload.com/ZNGJ64FZDW)

1) Press 1 (Prep (using zergRush CREDITS to Revolutionary)) and Enter, zerg rush is now run

I tested it with European latest Stock Rom 2.3.5 and HTC-Dev unlocked bootloader. I can confirm that a file could be copied to /system, then I rebooted again and the file was still there.

-----------------------------

What next?
eoghan2t7 created a fine auto-installer for ClockWorkMod, your door into recovery and custom roms !
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1431969

Have followed all the steps, very carefully,
Checked that, rooting is done, superuser is installed on the application list
Downloaded Root explorer, can explore the root,

But when am trying to root any custom ROM via CWM, it says that update is done
but when i reboot the device, its stuck on hTC logo screen,

have flashed to original ROM, device is working fine

Need Help in installing/flashing custom ROM ..
Please help..

Android Ver : 2.3.5
Software No.: 2.13.401.2
Kernel : 2.6.35.10-ga6697c
htc-kernel@and18-2 #1
Base band: 47.23a.35.3035H_7.53.39.03M
Build No.: 2.13.401.2 CL197017

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

-----------------------------

What next?
    eoghan2t7 created a fine auto-installer for ClockWorkMod, your door into recovery and custom roms !
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1431969
    OK. So I've followed all in post #1! I've also tested SuperOneclick but can't root my Wildfire S. Well, it's the wife's, I found the Desire HD which is mine was easy ... :D I got the blue flashing window as reported by others earlier and here's what I posted at ... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=21199961#post21199961 ...

I've cross-posted get a bigger audience to see if anyone can shed any light on it.

Ta

Right. Tried this with a Wildfire S and things just hang. Wonder if someone could suggest why? I've been to htcdev and downloaded the unlocked bootloader (it does say 'UNLOCKED' ...!) and have turned on U&SB debugging. The latest htcsync is installed on my PC (though I then uninstall the sync bit and just leave the drivers) and when I plug in my USB cable I choose 'HTC Sync' - and let it ntime out.

I choose 'Root' from SOC 2.3.3 and the last line in the LH window is:

and in the RH window:

(Not sure which line in the RH window corresponds to that in the left though).

It just hangs there until I unplug it.

The other thing is if I try to boot into recovery I just get the red triangle and the phone hangs until I unplug the battery.

Clues?

Thanks

Dave

Root method

Hi ...

and

Code:
    adb reboot-bootloader
    Code:

Code:
    adb reboot recovery
    )

6. reboot ....

Profit

This said that it rooted my phone but my phone is still s-on...?

yop, thats correct! there is still no method to s-off. BUT, thanks to htc-dev we can open bootloader and root!
    I also had the same problem but then I debugged the usb from Applications/Development and then pressed 2 NOT 1 and then 3, waited then saw big "ROOTED" flashing.