[Tools][How-To][Guides] Backup & Restore EFS + Get out from Permanent Safe mode

Search This thread

tamirda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 12, 2010
www.tdroms.com
Note to forum managers: Please make it a Sticky Thread, It should help to all users and there is no use for this tutorial if it is in page 3

Hello XDA Users,

I think some people here know who I am, so I will jump on the "Introduction of myself" for now.

Recently, I have faced many questions & problem of fake IMEI, of damaged EFS folder. So I made a little experiment on my device(GN2).

First, I backuped my EFS folder in 2 types - one is .img and the second is tar.gz.

Then, I deleted my EFS folder using ES Root Explorer. Which made my device to be on somethine called "Permanent Safe Mode" - You can not get out untill you fix your EFS folder and change some values.
This is permanent safe mode:

43gy.png

After I did my "research" I have managed to make several methods to backup & restore EFS, which should make your life easier and better.

First of all, Disclaimer:

I'm not responsible for any damage caused by using these methods, all methods tested by me, so it should work on your device too.
This is for I9505 Only!!!!!!!

Let's continue.

What you must have:

• Latest base with latest modem and latest kernel - very important since in the latest versions samsung prevented the option to install old modems/kernels, so if you install old kernell/modem it can show you wrong IMEI.
  • Rooted device with the latest Super User
  • Latest busybox
  • PhilZ Recovery
  • Terminal Emulator
  • Root explorer - Can be ES File Explorer with working root option or just a root explorer from the market
  • A working EFS backup(In order to restore it...)
  • Time & Patient.

Important Notes:

• When installing/downgrading firmwares, several people suffered from Fake IMEI. This is because the new firmware messed up your EFS folder, which means that you can not restore EFS backup until you are on the latest version, latest modem and latest stock kernel, recommended is XXUBMH1(right to 05/09/2013)
  • Some custom roms include modem installation in their rom installer. Due to modem flashing in recovery, some devices might get Fake IMEI. My recommendation is before even starting to use this guide, please try to install the latest modem via odin from this thread:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2192025

When installing modem via odin, make sure you select PHONE and not PDA
  • You will find at least one method that works on your device, so don't give up after one method.
  • Read all guide and pay attention to all small details.

Backup methods

Method 1 - .img backup

First method, is an automatic backup/restore software.

Special thanks to A.S._id for his software.

The software:
I9505 EFS Backup / Restore

Help to preserve and restore the image of EFS partition:
* Need Root

For Windows

* Extract from the archive, connect the device to the USB debugging mode (System settings/Developer options/USB debugging) and run selected .bat (depending on the backup or restore)
* To retain the image of efs.img must be in a folder with Restore_EFS.bat

attachment.php
attachment.php

* Extract from the archive, connect the device to the USB debugging mode (System settings/Developer options/USB debugging) and run RUN_ME into terminal (double click), select option...

What is EFS, Why it is necessary to backup

Method 2 - .img backup

Method number 2 will create you efs.img backup on your internal sd. After that you can copy it to your computer.

What you have to do is this:
  1. Open terminal emulator
  2. Write the following:
    Code:
    su
    Then click enter. It will ask for super user permission, give it permissions.
  3. Then write:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p10 of=/sdcard/efs.img bs=4096
    Then click enter.
  4. When it finishes, check if you have efs.img on your phone memory. If so, copy it to comupter, if not, you did something wrong try again.

Method 3 - .tar.gz backup

This method will compress your efs folder into tar.gz file. This method is the same as choosing backup EFS folder in my rom(PhoeniX ROM)/Omega/Wanam/etc.

A tar.gz backup should look like this(On some devices there might be more files, but this picture was taken from Note II N7100 backup and it fully works):
q2zs.png

1. Download this and copy it to your device:
    http://d-h.st/SaK
  2. Reboot into recovery
  3. Flash the zip
  4. Reboot your device.
  5. Connect your device to your pc, and copy the backup in "efs_backup" folder.

Restore methods

Now the fun begins :D

You will have to restore your backup when you have one or more of the folowing problem:
  • Fake IMEI (usually 004999010640000) or "null" IMEI
  • Blinking SIM card icon on the top tray… ETC
  • Unable to unlock your SIM card using your PIN
  • Fake Serial Number (usually 0000000) or "null" Serial
  • Unable to register to the network (usually comes with Fake IMEI & Fake Serial so check them.)

Attention please,
If you are 100% that your EFS folder is damaged and you have a working EFS backup with the right IMEI number, my recommendation is this:

1. With root explorer, go to your efs folder and delete all files inside
  2. Long press on power button will turn off your device.
  3. Then turn on the device, you will be in "Permanent Safe Mode".
  4. Continue to one of the following methods.

Method 1 - restore .img backup

The software:

* Need Root

For Windows

* Extract from the archive, connect the device to the USB debugging mode (System settings/Developer options/USB debugging) and run selected .bat (depending on the backup or restore)

attachment.php
attachment.php

* Extract from the archive, connect the device to the USB debugging mode (System settings/Developer options/USB debugging) and run RUN_ME into terminal (double click), select option...

Method 2 - Restore .img backup

Method number 2 will restore your efs.img backup from your internal sd.

1. Put your efs.img on your phone memory(not external sd card!) in the main memory, not inside folder.
  2. Open terminal emulator
  3. Write the following:
    Code:
    su
  4. Then write:
    Code:
    dd if=/sdcard/efs.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p10 bs=4096
    Then click enter.
  5. Now, reboot your device. If you still don't have IMEI/You are still in Safe Mod, reboot again.
    In the second reboot, the bootanimation might stuck and the device will reboot automatically again. Don't worry, it is ok because it installs your efs.img.

Method 3 - restore .tar.gz backup

This method will restore .tar.gz backup.
A tar.gz backup should look like this(On some devices there might be more files, but this picture was taken from Note II N7100 backup and it fully works):
q2zs.png

If you have like this, continue to the guide:
  1. Create on your Phone Memory(Not Extrenal sd!!) a folder called "efsbackup"(without quotes)
  2. Copy all files & folders from the EFS backup into "efsbackup" folder(The files are like in the picture)
  3. Download this script & copy it to your device:
    http://d-h.st/zwR
  4. Reboot into recovery
  5. Go to mount section and click on(Very important!):
  6. Now install the script you have downloaded.
  7. After it finishes, reboot.
  8. Now everything should be fixed, of course if your backup is 100% ok.
    If it doesn't work, try method 4.

Method 4 - restore .tar.gz backup

A tar.gz backup should look like this(On some devices there might be more files, but this picture was taked from Note II N7100 backup and it fully works):
q2zs.png

1. Create on your Phone Memory(Not Extrenal sd!!) a folder called "efsbackup"(without quotes)
  2. Copy all files & folders from the EFS backup into "efsbackup" folder(The files are like in the picture)
  3. Using root explorer, go to "efsbackup folder, select all files & folders there, and click Copy.
  4. Still in root explorer, go to "efs" folder of your device(It is located where all main folders like data, system, etc.).
  5. In "efs" folder, click paste. It will ask you if you want to replace your files, select replace to all files(So all your files from "efsbackup" folder will be in "efs" folder)
  6. Now open terminal emulator
  7. Write the following:
    Code:
    su
  8. Now write:
    Code:
    busybox chown 1001:1001 /efs/nv_data.bin
    Then click enter.
  9. Now write:
    Code:
    busybox chmod 06755 /efs/nv_data.bin
    Then click enter.
  10. Reboot device. Now everything should work.

Exit "Permanent Safe Mode"

When you in "Permanent Safe Mode" situation, it means that your EFS folder is broken.
If you succeeded in restoring your IMEI and you still stuck in this Safe Mode, use this guide:

Method 1

1. Open root explorer.
  2. Navigate to /efs/FactoryApp/
  3. Open "factorymode" file as Text and edit it:
    Change this:
    Code:
    OFF

To:
    Code:
    ON
  4. Open "keystr" file as Text and edit it:
    Change this:
    Code:
    OFF

To:
    Code:
    ON
  5. Reboot device.

Method 2

1. Open Terminal emulator
  2. Write the following:
    Code:
    su
  3. Write the following & click enter:
    Code:
    rm /efs/FactoryApp/keystr
  4. Write the following & click enter:
    Code:
    rm /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
  5. Write the following & click enter:
    Code:
    echo -n ON >> /efs/FactoryApp/keystr
  6. Write the following & click enter:
    Code:
    echo -n ON >> /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
  7. Write the following & click enter:
    Code:
    chown 1000.1000 /efs/FactoryApp/keystr
  8. Write the following & click enter:
    Code:
    chown 1000.1000 /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
  9. Write the following & click enter:
    Code:
    chmod 0744 /efs/FactoryApp/keystr
  10. Write the following & click enter:
    Code:
    chmod 0744 /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
  11. Reboot your device

This is all I can do for you friends, Worked alot on these methods to give you the best information.
Each method was tested by me and fully works.

If this helped you please press the "Thanks" button & Rate this thread 5 Stars.
If you like & appreciate my work please consider a donation!

Credits:
  • shnizlon
  • Candanga
  • A.S._id
  • dhiru1602
  • UtkarshGupta
  • P.M If you think that I forgot you

XDA:DevDB Information
Backup & Restore EFS + Get out from Permanent Safe mode - I9505, a Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy S 4

Contributors
tamirda

Version Information

Created 2013-09-05
Last Updated 2013-09-05

port76

Jan 25, 2011
they do need it and i for one would like to thank you for the guide and time and effort in sharing ..mods and fixes are always welcome on xda thanks man:thumbup::D:thumbup::D

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

tamirda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 12, 2010
www.tdroms.com
they do need it and i for one would like to thank you for the guide and time and effort in sharing ..mods and fixes are always welcome on xda thanks man:thumbup::D:thumbup::D

Sent from my GT-N7100 boosted by PhoeniX ROM

port76

Jan 25, 2011
:D:D:D:thumbup:its ok any time my friend ....iv told my friends about the fix and I'm sure they will pop into this very useful and informative thread .. Thanks again iv added it to my subscribed topics and I'm sure people will be popping in to view and post on the thread thanks :D:D:thumbup::thumbup:

Reactions: tamirda

slugthru

Feb 18, 2012
Will heimdall work as an alternative to restore the efs.img? Like this: heimdall flash --efs efs.img ?
It is used from download mode, like odin, so would work even if you cannot boot.

Pika71

Oct 6, 2013
plus.google.com
This Method, in Moto x?

Note to forum managers: Please make it a Sticky Thread, It should help to all users and there is no use for this tutorial if it is in page 3

Hello XDA Users,

I think some people here know who I am, so I will jump on the "Introduction of myself" for now.

Recently, I have faced many questions & problem of fake IMEI, of damaged EFS folder. So I made a little experiment on my device(GN2).

First, I backuped my EFS folder in 2 types - one is .img and the second is tar.gz.

Then, I deleted my EFS folder using ES Root Explorer. Which made my device to be on somethine called "Permanent Safe Mode" - You can not get out untill you fix your EFS folder and change some values.

43gy.png

After I did my "research" I have managed to make several methods to backup & restore EFS, which should make your life easier and better.

I'm not responsible for any damage caused by using these methods, all methods tested by me, so it should work on your device too.

Let's continue.

What you must have:

• Latest base with latest modem and latest kernel - very important since in the latest versions samsung prevented the option to install old modems/kernels, so if you install old kernell/modem it can show you wrong IMEI.
  • Latest busybox
  • PhilZ Recovery
  • Terminal Emulator
  • Root explorer - Can be ES File Explorer with working root option or just a root explorer from the market
  • Time & Patient.

Important Notes:

• When installing/downgrading firmwares, several people suffered from Fake IMEI. This is because the new firmware messed up your EFS folder, which means that you can not restore EFS backup until you are on the latest version, latest modem and latest stock kernel, recommended is XXUBMH1(right to 05/09/2013)
  • Some custom roms include modem installation in their rom installer. Due to modem flashing in recovery, some devices might get Fake IMEI. My recommendation is before even starting to use this guide, please try to install the latest modem via odin from this thread:

• You will find at least one method that works on your device, so don't give up after one method.

Backup methods

Method 1 - .img backup

The software:

Method 2 - .img backup

Method number 2 will create you efs.img backup on your internal sd. After that you can copy it to your computer.

This method will compress your efs folder into tar.gz file. This method is the same as choosing backup EFS folder in my rom(PhoeniX ROM)/Omega/Wanam/etc.

q2zs.png

Restore methods

You will have to restore your backup when you have one or more of the folowing problem:
  • Unable to register to the network (usually comes with Fake IMEI & Fake Serial so check them.)

Attention please,
If you are 100% that your EFS folder is damaged and you have a working EFS backup with the right IMEI number, my recommendation is this:

The software:

q2zs.png

A tar.gz backup should look like this(On some devices there might be more files, but this picture was taked from Note II N7100 backup and it fully works):
q2zs.png

When you in "Permanent Safe Mode" situation, it means that your EFS folder is broken.
If you succeeded in restoring your IMEI and you still stuck in this Safe Mode, use this guide:

Method 1

Method 2

This is all I can do for you friends, Worked alot on these methods to give you the best information.

Credits:
  • shnizlon
  • Candanga
  • A.S._id
  • dhiru1602
  • UtkarshGupta

Backup & Restore EFS + Get out from Permanent Safe mode - I9505, a Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy S 4

Contributors
tamirda

Version Information

Created 2013-09-05
Last Updated 2013-09-05

Mr Tamirda

The method this, made in terminal, working in one moto x? it's my question :confused:

hertzschi

May 23, 2012
Will heimdall work as an alternative to restore the efs.img? Like this: heimdall flash --efs efs.img ?
It is used from download mode, like odin, so would work even if you cannot boot.
You can try and share your experiences.
From my personal experience with another device the dd method in terminal works just fine

L

LastStandingDroid

Sorry but null IMEI isn't fake IMEI

Difference:

Null IMEI means you don't even have any data for the IMEI oh and it's bad!

fake IMEI means you do have a data which is corrupt. Nothing more only digits has been changed.

There's a different between those

I remember having null IMEI and my backup didn't help at all service center was forced to swap motherboard to get IMEI working.

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

Mr Tamirda

The method this, made in terminal, working in one moto x? it's my question :confused:
It depends if it uses same permission. Also there is a way to fix a corrupt IMEI while in recovery

Also don't quote whole op

Last edited:

EuEra

Jan 5, 2015
My brothers phone is in safe mode could i backup my efs folder and restore onto his device?

nk33

Jun 24, 2009
ok, i am stuck in factory mode but none of the methods described work because there is nothing in my efs folder - it is empty so there are no files to actually edit.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hello XDA Users,

43gy.png

Let's continue.

What you must have:

• Latest busybox
    • PhilZ Recovery
    • Terminal Emulator
    • Time & Patient.

Important Notes:

Backup methods

Method 1 - .img backup

The software:

* Need Root

For Windows

attachment.php
    attachment.php

Method 2 - .img backup

1. Open terminal emulator
    2. Write the following:
      Code:
      su
    3. Then write:
      Code:
      dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p10 of=/sdcard/efs.img bs=4096
      Then click enter.
    4. When it finishes, check if you have efs.img on your phone memory. If so, copy it to comupter, if not, you did something wrong try again.

q2zs.png

1. Download this and copy it to your device:
      http://d-h.st/SaK
    2. Reboot into recovery
    3. Flash the zip
    4. Reboot your device.
    5. Connect your device to your pc, and copy the backup in "efs_backup" folder.

Restore methods

Attention please,

1. With root explorer, go to your efs folder and delete all files inside
    2. Long press on power button will turn off your device.
    3. Then turn on the device, you will be in "Permanent Safe Mode".
    4. Continue to one of the following methods.

The software:

* Need Root

For Windows

attachment.php
    attachment.php

1. Put your efs.img on your phone memory(not external sd card!) in the main memory, not inside folder.
    2. Open terminal emulator
    3. Write the following:
      Code:
      su
    4. Then write:
      Code:
      dd if=/sdcard/efs.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p10 bs=4096
      Then click enter.
    5. Now, reboot your device. If you still don't have IMEI/You are still in Safe Mod, reboot again.
      In the second reboot, the bootanimation might stuck and the device will reboot automatically again. Don't worry, it is ok because it installs your efs.img.

q2zs.png

3. Download this script & copy it to your device:
      http://d-h.st/zwR
    4. Reboot into recovery
    5. Go to mount section and click on(Very important!):
    6. Now install the script you have downloaded.
    7. After it finishes, reboot.
    8. Now everything should be fixed, of course if your backup is 100% ok.
      If it doesn't work, try method 4.

q2zs.png

3. Using root explorer, go to "efsbackup folder, select all files & folders there, and click Copy.
    4. Still in root explorer, go to "efs" folder of your device(It is located where all main folders like data, system, etc.).
    5. In "efs" folder, click paste. It will ask you if you want to replace your files, select replace to all files(So all your files from "efsbackup" folder will be in "efs" folder)
    6. Now open terminal emulator
    7. Write the following:
      Code:
      su
    8. Now write:
      Code:
      busybox chown 1001:1001 /efs/nv_data.bin
      Then click enter.
    9. Now write:
      Code:
      busybox chmod 06755 /efs/nv_data.bin
      Then click enter.
    10. Reboot device. Now everything should work.

Method 1

1. Open root explorer.
    2. Navigate to /efs/FactoryApp/
    3. Open "factorymode" file as Text and edit it:
      Change this:
      Code:
      OFF

To:
      Code:
      ON
    4. Open "keystr" file as Text and edit it:
      Change this:
      Code:
      OFF

To:
      Code:
      ON
    5. Reboot device.

Method 2

1. Open Terminal emulator
    2. Write the following:
      Code:
      su
    3. Write the following & click enter:
      Code:
      rm /efs/FactoryApp/keystr
    4. Write the following & click enter:
      Code:
      rm /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
    5. Write the following & click enter:
      Code:
      echo -n ON >> /efs/FactoryApp/keystr
    6. Write the following & click enter:
      Code:
      echo -n ON >> /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
    7. Write the following & click enter:
      Code:
      chown 1000.1000 /efs/FactoryApp/keystr
    8. Write the following & click enter:
      Code:
      chown 1000.1000 /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
    9. Write the following & click enter:
      Code:
      chmod 0744 /efs/FactoryApp/keystr
    10. Write the following & click enter:
      Code:
      chmod 0744 /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
    11. Reboot your device

Credits:
    • shnizlon
    • Candanga
    • A.S._id
    • dhiru1602
    • UtkarshGupta

Contributors
    tamirda

Version Information

Created 2013-09-05
    Last Updated 2013-09-05
    Amm i guess no one need it?
    :D:D:D:thumbup:its ok any time my friend ....iv told my friends about the fix and I'm sure they will pop into this very useful and informative thread .. Thanks again iv added it to my subscribed topics and I'm sure people will be popping in to view and post on the thread thanks :D:D:thumbup::thumbup: