New android tablet kyros tablet mid 7015

Search This thread

havic

Jan 10, 2009
Whats with Rom development

Hey everyone what's up anyone trying any rom development with this thing yet.
But the factory rom is slow and sluggish.

The Froyo would be nice but unable to mount sdcard is a big turn away for me.

adamdietrick

Wouhou! It worked! Thanks! In fact the back (cover) wasn't removed completely when the graphics became normal. Just in case, I removed it completely, disconnected the large white connector and connected it back. Powered on the device and everything was back how the graphics should look.

I made some small scratches but barely noticeable, well worth the saving of 30 bucks! :D

Thanks AdamTrick for that! I owe you one.

Here's a pix in case someone want to see how the board looks like

2oyz4.jpg

Glad to be of service!

havic

Jan 10, 2009
So has anyone noticed that with the froyo mod you don't need to modify the wifi settings to connect to a tether. It will allow for the connection without it.Another thing is that there was some info about not being able to play video I can't get you tube to work with the normal app but I can stream video using a program called orb. Works very well with a good wifi connection.

biggeorgef

What are your thoughts? With all of the new A8 based Coby tablets running 2.3 announced at CES, is the 7015 worth buying at this point? Not sure on release dates, but some have suggested as early as March. That said, I can pick up a 7015 for ~ $160 CAD today - not sure how much the new ones will sell for. My other thought is that the general consensus seems to be that the build quality of the 7015 is pretty decent - I guess there is no guarantee that the new ones will be manufactured by the same third party or to the same standards. Also not sure how much resale value the 7015 will have after 6 months. Even $160 looks kinda steep for the specs compared to the Nook Color retailing for $90 more - though Nook would require a trip to the US as I am in Canada. Canada needs more tablets!!

The impulsive side of me wants to jump on this, but I suspect it would be wiser to wait. Just feeling kinda twitchy since my PDN died :)

I bought this tablet for my 12-year old son for Christmas from Kmart for $140 on sale. Before I gave it to him I rooted it and installed the Google Market. It works like a champ! He uses it everyday, primarily for games and watching YouTube.

I so want to install a better ROM! It's running stock right now. So I'm looking.

BTW... I'd strongly suggest Kmart for this tablet purchase. 90-day return policy, no questions asked. And you can get a 2-year replacement warranty for $14.

lschroeder

Dec 1, 2010
Video over wifi froyo vs eclair

So has anyone noticed that with the froyo mod you don't need to modify the wifi settings to connect to a tether. It will allow for the connection without it.Another thing is that there was some info about not being able to play video I can't get you tube to work with the normal app but I can stream video using a program called orb. Works very well with a good wifi connection.

Did you try the orb video with android eclair 2.1? My orb live tv and video drop out with android 2.1 on my rooted gapp 7015. My orb is an older version running on XP 2.8 single core Athlon computer. I can not use the current version of orb because the XP Athlon cpu is too weak.

I can get my HAVA (sling box like) to work in 2.1 when I stream a SD at low quality over my wifi g network although it takes a long time to buffer. By the way I also have Pogo Plug.

Pogo Plug and orb will stream music fine in 2.1 but the video mp4 starts and shortly stops.

I have been thinking about installing froyo but currently convert my Beyond TV files with VideoRedo TVSuite, removing the padding and/or commercials, to mp4 and use the eclair video players for playback. I could use froyo over wifi instead.

jtgoody

Aug 12, 2009
Did you try the orb video with android eclair 2.1? My orb live tv and video drop out with android 2.1 on my rooted gapp 7015. My orb is an older version running on XP 2.8 single core Athlon computer. I can not use the current version of orb because the XP Athlon cpu is too weak.

I can get my HAVA (sling box like) to work in 2.1 when I stream a SD at low quality over my wifi g network although it takes a long time to buffer. By the way I also have Pogo Plug.

Pogo Plug and orb will stream music fine in 2.1 but the video mp4 starts and shortly stops.

I have been thinking about installing froyo but currently convert my Beyond TV files with VideoRedo TVSuite, removing the padding and/or commercials, to mp4 and use the eclair video players for playback. I could use froyo over wifi instead.
How did you get your hava working? I am using testtube on my lg ally. Testtube dosent show up in the market on my kyros. I pulled the apk off my phone and installed it on the kyros. it runs but when searching for a connection it can not find the hava(the settings are identical for the ally which works fine). I know i must be missing something here to get my hava working on the kyros would be amazing.

lschroeder

Dec 1, 2010
How did you get your hava working? I am using testtube on my lg ally. Testtube dosent show up in the market on my kyros. I pulled the apk off my phone and installed it on the kyros. it runs but when searching for a connection it can not find the hava(the settings are identical for the ally which works fine). I know i must be missing something here to get my hava working on the kyros would be amazing.

Use the market to get VulkanoPlayer,apk. Moonsoon new player for Vulkano box that works on their legacy HAVA boxes.

I used the xscope trial web browser from 7015 to install the beta version of VulkanPlayer.apk from the link below. It works slightly better for me than the market version. Both barely syncs, always seems to want to be Optimizing..., this is using an SD channel with Live streaming quality set to Low.

http://monsoonftp.com/web/VulkanoPlayer.apk

symbiiote

Aug 20, 2009
New York City
is there a good working froyo for the kyros yet? and also, when i flash my recovery and boot into it it works but after i restart and try to boot into it it goes to the stock recovery....why?

teamw

Dec 17, 2010
I am a novice in this mod business, but did get my 7015 rooted and loaded with Marketplace using procedures explained here. Downloaded and installed the free Dish Remote Access streaming video ap to connect to my 922 sling server. It won't load - flashes a black screen with a dish header before returning immediately to home.

Could someone please see if this ap will load on a machine with cyanogen mod installed. If anyone has Dish and can try connecting, so much the better. But just knowing it will load will be sufficient for me to try to do the mod. Don't want to try it otherwise, because I will be returning the 7015 if the Dish ap will not work, and I don't want to brick it - which is a 50-50 prospect with my lack of knowledge.

Thanks

stoned99

Aug 14, 2010
Some bad news. The device started again to display graphics. Poped it open, removed the white ribbon, connected it again, still the same problem. I have no doubt that the problem resides in there since when I completely remove the ribbon, the screen went all white and when I plugged it back in the colors started to show.

Unfortunately there must be something wrong with the ribbon or the other side of the connector (side of the touchscreen) but I can't unscrew the screws since I need to have "super duper extra tiny" screwdriver but I don't. Anyway, I also had problems with the unit not turning on recently or not charging so I decided to ship the unit back to Coby to repair both problems. Let's hope they don't argue that because it is rooted and has the market on it, it voids the warranty. I wish I could have remove it first but without a display it's not an easy job.

I should get it back in 6 to 8 weeks.

My wife will really miss it since she's in maternity leave and was using it as a ebook reader and to play Solitaire :)

The only good thing I can see about having to wait 8 weeks is we might have some more improvements to it and making a fully working CyanogenMod :D

chicle_11

Jan 24, 2011
Miami, Florida
I rooted mine following the step-by-step instructions on tipstir.the-talk.net forum:

I'm waiting for tipstir to come out with a ROM......:) I'm using his RSX type S on my flytouch clone, and it's working great.

tipstir

Aug 11, 2010
Boca Raton
I rooted mine following the step-by-step instructions on tipstir.the-talk.net forum:

I'm waiting for tipstir to come out with a ROM......:) I'm using his RSX type S on my flytouch clone, and it's working great.

Hey thanks for the comment. I have it one coming soon, but I am testing it but I got it 16% improvement in performance and battery last and last. Memory is an issue with the OS though as the unit does boot-up with 256MB and once into the Eclair you loose 102MB. Most I can muster out of the system is 92MB free so far.

Still a work in progress.. ACADEV TC200SS MOD coming soon!

Reactions: billquinn1

jschill31

Jul 14, 2010
Midwest
Hello all,

My Kyros finally showed up today so as of now I will be switching all dev work from the X5A-G over to the Kyros. Give me a bit to get use to it and I will put something out there... I usually try to keep things stock but optimized, however I am open to ideas. Hopefully the two tablets are not much different so that I will pick it up quickly. I am sure someone will ask so I will say it now...No kernel as of yet. I worked on the damn kernel from what Telechips released back in December for two weeks... I have also not heard any news on OMX drivers for Froyo either. I do however hope that there are some things I can pull out of this tablet to further the development on the X5A-G and vice versa.

Cheers

Reactions: jeffc83

bub k

Feb 22, 2011
new kyros

just started playing with new kyros - will not log on internet connection at home - using linksys wrt54g wireless router. what am i missing? any suggestions would be helpful - tired of hoping i stumble onto solution. shows my network and good signal strength - shows password box - says not correct password when typed in. bub k

jschill31

Jul 14, 2010
Midwest
Working Calendar

Hello,

Posted these over in the other Kyros thread but some of you may also need them too. Just push both files to /system/app and do a reboot or reset.

Cheers

Attachments

• Calendar.apk
    368.8 KB · Views: 27
  • CalendarProvider.apk
    148.7 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: billquinn1

billquinn1

Hello,

Posted these over in the other Kyros thread but some of you may also need them too. Just push both files to /system/app and do a reboot or reset.

Cheers
Glad to see you're working on this tab. I will try out the calendar files this weekend. I look fwd to seeing how it progresses.

You asked for ideas and the one thing my wife (I bought the tab for her) really would like is the contacts. If you could work that out it would be way cool.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts