[Q] Evo 3D keeps restarting unexpectedly

Search This thread

jlopez512

Apr 18, 2010
Austin
The problem:
-My evo 3d keeps restarting at random times and when it restarts it sometimes dies during the booting up process, and i have to put in a new battery because when it boots up with the old battery it just says its at 10% or less.

this has happened a lot. PLEASE HELP

The specs:

Hboot 1.4
rom: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1620318 (Newts one)

please help. this is really irritating me. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

thefsfempire

Apr 26, 2010
Massachusetts
I had the very same problem (on RC3). I later remembered that I just upgraded the radio to the latest version. Downgrading back to the radio in the 1.13 RUU (v0530) resolved the issue. My battery life dropped tremendously on the new radio as well.

On a side note, have you tried other ROMs since then? If it's happening in all ROMs it could be an issue there as well.

jlopez512

Apr 18, 2010
Austin
I had the very same problem (on RC3). I later remembered that I just upgraded the radio to the latest version. Downgrading back to the radio in the 1.13 RUU (v0530) resolved the issue. My battery life dropped tremendously on the new radio as well.

On a side note, have you tried other ROMs since then? If it's happening in all ROMs it could be an issue there as well.

it has also done it on Meanrom 4.3,

where do i find the radio you placed that fixed the issue?
:D

thefsfempire

Apr 26, 2010
Massachusetts
it has also done it on Meanrom 4.3,

where do i find the radio you placed that fixed the issue?
:D

Here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1193101

Under downloads you'll see this: From the 1.13.651.7 OTA/RUU. Click the CDMA link (for 0.97.10.0530). Place this file on the root of your SD card (must be PG86IMG.zip - case sensitive!) and power on phone into bootloader mode (vol down + power). It'll verify and ask you to flash.

Be very careful doing this because you can potentially brick your phone if you don't know what you're doing. There are more detailed instructions at the thread at the beginning of this post. Post back here if you have any issues so I can help you out!

Good luck!

EDIT: If you have access to a computer, follow the "How To Flash" instructions at the link so you can verify the MD5 to make sure the download isn't corrupted.

jlopez512

Apr 18, 2010
Austin
Here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1193101

Under downloads you'll see this: From the 1.13.651.7 OTA/RUU. Click the CDMA link (for 0.97.10.0530). Place this file on the root of your SD card (must be PG86IMG.zip - case sensitive!) and power on phone into bootloader mode (vol down + power). It'll verify and ask you to flash.

Be very careful doing this because you can potentially brick your phone if you don't know what you're doing. There are more detailed instructions at the thread at the beginning of this post. Post back here if you have any issues so I can help you out!

Good luck!

EDIT: If you have access to a computer, follow the "How To Flash" instructions at the link so you can verify the MD5 to make sure the download isn't corrupted.

i have the current radio 0.97.00.0518, flashing this will be safe, right?

also, will it erase my phone data?

thefsfempire

Apr 26, 2010
Massachusetts
The radio version you have is from RUU 1.11 which is one of the oldest ones for this device. I'm curious to know how it's still there unless you've never done an OTA/Hboot downgrade.

It will not erase your handset, only updates the radio software which is a completely separate part of your phone. Just follow the instructions and read through them a few times. I've upgraded/downgraded my radio several times following those instructions.

jlopez512

Apr 18, 2010
Austin
The radio version you have is from RUU 1.11 which is one of the oldest ones for this device. I'm curious to know how it's still there unless you've never done an OTA/Hboot downgrade.

It will not erase your handset, only updates the radio software which is a completely separate part of your phone. Just follow the instructions and read through them a few times. I've upgraded/downgraded my radio several times following those instructions.

my phone was hboot 1.3 when i got it so i used Revolutionary.io method lol

i hope this works, thank you so much!!:D:D

thefsfempire

Apr 26, 2010
Massachusetts
my phone just restarted :/:mad::mad::mad:

If it restarted after the radio update: flash the 2.17 RUU then downgrade hboot to 1.4 -OR- flash the 2.17 zip and remove the hboot file.

If it restarted during the radio update: (this is bad). The problem could be with a faulty battery. But that is the least of your problems now.

I'll get the link the 2.17 downloads for you. just a sec..

EDIT#1: Here is a link to the PG86IMG.zip for 2.17 containing the latest software and firmware. Delete the HBOOT file from the zip using WinRAR, 7Zip, etc. and rename zip file to PG86IMG.zip, move to root of SD and flash.
http://goo.im/stock/shooter/ruu/PG8...216_NV_NV_spcs_1.42_release_233304_signed.zip

EDIT#2: Here is the link to the actual RUU (run in Windows then do HBOOT downgrade): http://goo.im/stock/shooter/ruu/RUU...216_NV_NV_spcs_1.42_release_233304_signed.exe

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Just found this while helping someone else. Freeza posted an all-in-one firmware update package for those on Hboot 1.4. This updates you to all the firmware from the 2.17 package without losing root or S-OFF. This does NOT flash a ROM, just updates the firmware.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21374142&postcount=131

Last edited:

jlopez512

Apr 18, 2010
Austin
If it restarted after the radio update: flash the 2.17 RUU then downgrade hboot to 1.4 -OR- flash the 2.17 zip and remove the hboot file.

If it restarted during the radio update: (this is bad). The problem could be with a faulty battery. But that is the least of your problems now.

I'll get the link the 2.17 downloads for you. just a sec..

EDIT#1: Here is a link to the PG86IMG.zip for 2.17 containing the latest software and firmware. Delete the HBOOT file from the zip using WinRAR, 7Zip, etc. and rename zip file to PG86IMG.zip, move to root of SD and flash.
http://goo.im/stock/shooter/ruu/PG8...216_NV_NV_spcs_1.42_release_233304_signed.zip

EDIT#2: Here is the link to the actual RUU (run in Windows then do HBOOT downgrade): http://goo.im/stock/shooter/ruu/RUU...216_NV_NV_spcs_1.42_release_233304_signed.exe

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Just found this while helping someone else. Freeza posted an all-in-one firmware update package for those on Hboot 1.4. This updates you to all the firmware from the 2.17 package without losing root or S-OFF. This does NOT flash a ROM, just updates the firmware.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21374142&postcount=131

i have another issue. my internet. i used to get error code 67, called sprint, and they refreshed my line and stuff. when i try to turn it on it goes as follows from the settings; "Turning on.." then after a few seconds it says "disconnected"

GGacura

Aug 2, 2011
I had a similar issue that turned out to be a hardware problem. Had to have sprint get me a new phone. The restarts kept happening more often and the phone was slightly hot. Then it just wouldn't turn on anymore.

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA

mreyesems

Mar 10, 2011
Bronx
Sometimes the random reboots are a hardware problem or a radio problem. I used to get them every once in a while but they stopped ever since I updated the radio and firmware to the 2.17 Fw. Freeza had posted an all-in-one radio/fw update that removed the hboot that could possibly work..

jlopez512

Apr 18, 2010
Austin
Sometimes the random reboots are a hardware problem or a radio problem. I used to get them every once in a while but they stopped ever since I updated the radio and firmware to the 2.17 Fw. Freeza had posted an all-in-one radio/fw update that removed the hboot that could possibly work..

isn't it the same one form page one, edit two?

rigmort

Oct 19, 2006
Wiscompton
I had this problem and the solution was much simpler -- pull your memory card out and see if the reboots stop.
If that's the problem, back up the card to a computer and long format it.

porkisyummy

Aug 5, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI

I was also having issues with random reboots on my phone. These seemed to only be occurring while the phone was asleep (in my pocket, on a desk, etc...). I had somewhere on the order of 7-8 reboots in a 48 hour period. I also flashed the all-in-one radio/fw update that Freeza posted, and have had zero reboots while sleeping in the 72 hours since. I highly recommend flashing this all-in-one update if you are having issues with reboots while sleeping.

Top Liked Posts