Mod: Xperia Z2 w/ case to work with DK36 dock

Search This thread

cHoLoCoY

Jul 28, 2010
I got tired of taking off my case every time i charge my phone,.... so i did alil bit of modification and i thought I'd share with you guys and maybe find it helpful,...

ok,... the case that i have is a Ringke FUSION Xperia Z2 Bumper Case,... i also have a Spigen Ultra Fit which like a lot,... but I've been using the Ringke FUSION coz i think it has the best protection all around,....

your going to need a Dremel for this modification or something similar

1.) your going to need to open the Sony DK36 Magnetic Charging Dock (don't forget to remove the adapters that goes into the charging port slot),... once it's open,... your going to want to raise the magnetic port so it can reach the cellphones port when you have the case / bumper case on,.... i used a 3M double sided tape (which is 1.90mm thick) so the magnetic port can be raised permanently (as you on the picture) (and don't forget to remove the USB cable while working on it)

2.) this is where you need the Dremel or something similar,..... make your marking on your case on where your going to cut out the hole,..... i used the Dremel with a grinding tool with a small tip,.... remember to start small and slowly make your way out (don't forget to remove the phone off the case when you start griding / cut),.... use the magnetic charging port as reference to how much you should grind out / cut out,.... every now and then test fit the case to the magnetic port charger,....

3.) by now,.... your magnetic charging dock should be closed and back together,..... your not going to need any of the adapters anymore,.... try testing the phone with the case to the magnetic charging dock,.... it should fit and charge your phone already,... if not,... grind alil bit more on case so that it clears the charging port completely,..... if that still doesn't work,... you may need to open the DK36 Magnetic Charging Dock again and raise the port alil bit more,....

4.) this part is optional,.... but i did this mod to give the phone more back support,.... i found a old CD case that i wasn't using and cut out a small piece,.. about the same size as the back panel,... grind the plastic until it fits on the back panel just right,.... i used a 3M painters tape to keep the plastic piece attached to the dock,.... (the 3M double sided tape was to thick and wouldn't allow the charging port the join,.... thats why i used a thinner tape on the back of the small plastic piece,.... just roll the tape together to make it a double sided tape)
(you'll see on the picture how the small plastic piece looks like with the charging dock)

Attachments

• DSC_0050.jpg
    DSC_0050.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 3,229
  • DSC_0051.jpg
    DSC_0051.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 3,065
  • CIMG2525.jpg
    CIMG2525.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 2,938
  • CIMG2527.jpg
    CIMG2527.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 2,810

zohaib anwar

Dec 12, 2012
Dubai
Opening the dock

:DHow can we open the dock? It's made of so premium plastic that I am not able to open it. Can you please post a video on how to open the dock? I have a flip cover which just uses the magnet to stick but does not charge because the golden pins are not able touch each other. Just write a proper step by step on how to open it or post a video.:D

cHoLoCoY

Jul 28, 2010
sorry about that,... but its kinda late for me to do a video on how to do this mod since I've already done it,...

but i can still help you,...
i kinda had a hard time opening the dock to,... and learned my lesson,... so here's what you gotta do,...

on the bottom dock,... you would see a grip tape around the surface of the dock (it helps keep the dock from moving around the table)
there are 2 screws holding the dock together,.... and they are located on the side where the grip tape is at,..... so its actually covered underneath the grip tape (the middle section of the side grip tape) just remove a small portion of the grip tape so the screws can be revealed,.....and just remove it with a small screwdriver,.... (use the first picture that i posted as reference to get an idea on where the screw mount is at)

i hope that helps,....

cHoLoCoY

Jul 28, 2010
yeah i saw that case,.... i was thinking about getting it but i didn't really want a flip cover case,... while it gives you protection on the LCD screen,... it also has some down side like holding it up like a book when taking a picture,...

zohaib anwar

Dec 12, 2012
Dubai
Thank you very much

sorry about that,... but its kinda late for me to do a video on how to do this mod since I've already done it,...

i kinda had a hard time opening the dock to,... and learned my lesson,... so here's what you gotta do,...

on the bottom dock,... you would see a grip tape around the surface of the dock (it helps keep the dock from moving around the table)
there are 2 screws holding the dock together,.... and they are located on the side where the grip tape is at,..... so its actually covered underneath the grip tape (the middle section of the side grip tape) just remove a small portion of the grip tape so the screws can be revealed,.....and just remove it with a small screwdriver,.... (use the first picture that i posted as reference to get an idea on where the screw mount is at)

i hope that helps,....

You are the best. After reading and following your instructions million a times finally I could achieve what I desired. I just made a few arrangements from my side as my cover is the ultra slim 0.3 mm which required only a small amount of tweaking.

You can see in the pic below that I used the plastic in both the ends with double sided tape because the Z2 used slip out of the dock sometimes.

Again a very big thank you for solving this issue for me.i was a bit afraid that what would happen if my charging flap came out. But you solved it for me. Keep up the good work

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 401

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got tired of taking off my case every time i charge my phone,.... so i did alil bit of modification and i thought I'd share with you guys and maybe find it helpful,...

ok,... the case that i have is a Ringke FUSION Xperia Z2 Bumper Case,... i also have a Spigen Ultra Fit which like a lot,... but I've been using the Ringke FUSION coz i think it has the best protection all around,....

your going to need a Dremel for this modification or something similar

1.) your going to need to open the Sony DK36 Magnetic Charging Dock (don't forget to remove the adapters that goes into the charging port slot),... once it's open,... your going to want to raise the magnetic port so it can reach the cellphones port when you have the case / bumper case on,.... i used a 3M double sided tape (which is 1.90mm thick) so the magnetic port can be raised permanently (as you on the picture) (and don't forget to remove the USB cable while working on it)

2.) this is where you need the Dremel or something similar,..... make your marking on your case on where your going to cut out the hole,..... i used the Dremel with a grinding tool with a small tip,.... remember to start small and slowly make your way out (don't forget to remove the phone off the case when you start griding / cut),.... use the magnetic charging port as reference to how much you should grind out / cut out,.... every now and then test fit the case to the magnetic port charger,....

3.) by now,.... your magnetic charging dock should be closed and back together,..... your not going to need any of the adapters anymore,.... try testing the phone with the case to the magnetic charging dock,.... it should fit and charge your phone already,... if not,... grind alil bit more on case so that it clears the charging port completely,..... if that still doesn't work,... you may need to open the DK36 Magnetic Charging Dock again and raise the port alil bit more,....

4.) this part is optional,.... but i did this mod to give the phone more back support,.... i found a old CD case that i wasn't using and cut out a small piece,.. about the same size as the back panel,... grind the plastic until it fits on the back panel just right,.... i used a 3M painters tape to keep the plastic piece attached to the dock,.... (the 3M double sided tape was to thick and wouldn't allow the charging port the join,.... thats why i used a thinner tape on the back of the small plastic piece,.... just roll the tape together to make it a double sided tape)
    (you'll see on the picture how the small plastic piece looks like with the charging dock)

i hope that helps,....