[Q] How to unlock my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-I777

Search This thread

gireeshtty9

Jan 13, 2011
Bangalore
I suppose sumone can help me out here. I have bought a
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-I777 and its locked to the carrier. I have read the Helroz method of unlocking but some people have reported it dosent work and I dont want to try it several times and freeze my phone. People say spending some bucks and getting your phone unlocked by websites like cellunlocker.net or globalunlock.com is a good way to go. But m not sure if those can be trusted. If yes then please let me know some of the websites that can be trusted, that are genuine and fast...or any other working unlocking methods if any. It'll be greatfull :)

cfaberlle

Nov 2, 2011
Orlando
www.arrow.com
I suppose sumone can help me out here. I have bought a
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-I777 and its locked to the carrier. I have read the Helroz method of unlocking but some people have reported it dosent work and I dont want to try it several times and freeze my phone. People say spending some bucks and getting your phone unlocked by websites like cellunlocker.net or globalunlock.com is a good way to go. But m not sure if those can be trusted. If yes then please let me know some of the websites that can be trusted, that are genuine and fast...or any other working unlocking methods if any. It'll be greatfull :)

Unlocking this phone is extremely easy, all you have to do is search.

There is a thread that walks you through the whole process from start to finish. All you have to do is find it.

gireeshtty9

Jan 13, 2011
Bangalore
I really dont know where to search it..I mean there are so many threads and methods and I dont know which way to go. I'l be very greatfull if you send me the link if possible that you know will work. Please:)

EnemyOfGlaDOS

Nov 10, 2010
Boulder, Colorado
I really dont know where to search it..I mean there are so many threads and methods and I dont know which way to go. I'l be very greatfull if you send me the link if possible that you know will work. Please:)

Dude.. I just looked for it and found it in literally less than 2 minutes.. SGS2 frequently asked Q's .. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1289395

Here's an easy tip.. At least look at the titles of the threads in General and Q&A... ;)

sent from my Galaxy SIII ...haha jk, I FOiLed ya!

EnemyOfGlaDOS

Nov 10, 2010
Boulder, Colorado
Are you sure it works? I dont want to freeze my phone:) Have you tried the same?

I haven't no. I unlocked my captivate when I had one but not this phone. Read some of the posts in the thread to see if anyone is having or had problems. I would think it works as I'm sure many have used it and the directions are still there!

sent from my Galaxy SIII ...haha jk, I FOiLed ya!

mfreywald

Aug 16, 2010
I can also confirm it works. Used it on my AT&T SGS2. But remember you will only get edge speeds on any carrier other than AT&T.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

CyberManiaK

Feb 22, 2011
California
I can also confirm it works. Used it on my AT&T SGS2. But remember you will only get edge speeds on any carrier other than AT&T.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

You must say edge speeds when using a carrier like t-mobile... Which uses the 1700 band... Buf if you drop a sim that works on 850 band it's going to work on 3g or h+ if the carrier have it already..

I have unlocked my i777 using the Galaxy S unlock app.. when I cross the border I use it on iusacell gsm (mexican carrier) on hsdpa network.

JusFig

Dec 21, 2011
New York
Anyone know which cell companies have the faster connections in the Mediterranean? Travelling overseas for work and would like to get decent data speeds.

jazzboyrules

Oct 19, 2011
Real people post in these threads. So you can trust what people say in already existing MANY rooting threads, there are even few STICKIES on rooting.

Search for rooting, just rooting, one word. Look for posts having larger number of hits and replies. I would read the first few posts by the original poster (OP) and then starting reading from the 5th last page to the last page.

If that doesn't help, repeat.

As for the download links not working, you wouldn't be the only one. So then search for words like mirror, download, link, links, db.tt, dropbox, etc If you don't find anything, post in that thread requesting for a download link for the exact file you need. You will know what file you need once you succeed in the search-repeat exercise above.

Sent from myphone.

Last edited:

gireeshtty9

Jan 13, 2011
Bangalore
Thanx buddy :) Finally unlocked it..one last question. I want to use Cyanogenmod ROM. So can this be done on my phone?? I mean will it be locked again? Do i have to unlock it all again? Please let me know it in brief. If there is some procedure for phones which have been rooted and unlocked and wanting to install custom roms please let me know

alacrify

Jan 12, 2009
Go to Cyanogen website - read the wiki. Go to Development thread - read the CM7 thread on the FIRST PAGE. But PLEASE stop asking people to do the work for you - they've already done the hard parts.

Reactions: Miami_Son

Phoenix84118

Mar 7, 2011
Northern California
You must say edge speeds when using a carrier like t-mobile... Which uses the 1700 band... Buf if you drop a sim that works on 850 band it's going to work on 3g or h+ if the carrier have it already..

I have unlocked my i777 using the Galaxy S unlock app.. when I cross the border I use it on iusacell gsm (mexican carrier) on hsdpa network.
That's because, as far as I know, only T-Mo uses the oddball frequencies.
AT&T phones are 3G world phones. I've taken my various AT&T phones to Europe with 3G (including moto RAZR & BB 9000). That's the only real reason I haven't switched to T-Mobile (that and I'm on a family plan).

And Helroz unlocker works. I've used on my stock, rooted I777. Just try it. I've tried it on phones that don't work, and it just does nothing (but that's why it takes the backup anyway). When you learn how it works, you know what risk there is (if any).

Last edited:

Miami_Son

Feb 4, 2009
Hurricane Country
Thanx buddy :) Finally unlocked it..one last question. I want to use Cyanogenmod ROM. So can this be done on my phone?? I mean will it be locked again? Do i have to unlock it all again? Please let me know it in brief. If there is some procedure for phones which have been rooted and unlocked and wanting to install custom roms please let me know

Before you do anything to your phone like installing a ROM, make sure you read AND understand what you're doing beforehand. You do not sound confident enough to be modding a phone and the chance of you ending up here looking for help seems high. The procedures are all spelled out in their respective threads, so read, read and read. This place does not exist to bail people out when things go wrong because they tried doing something they didn't fully understand. And it is always better to post to an existing related thread rather than start a new one.

Reactions: gireeshtty9

CyberManiaK

Feb 22, 2011
California
That's because, as far as I know, only T-Mo uses the oddball frequencies.
AT&T phones are 3G world phones. I've taken my various AT&T phones to Europe with 3G (including moto RAZR & BB 9000). That's the only real reason I haven't switched to T-Mobile (that and I'm on a family plan).

And Helroz unlocker works. I've used on my stock, rooted I777. Just try it. I've tried it on phones that don't work, and it just does nothing (but that's why it takes the backup anyway). When you learn how it works, you know what risk there is (if any).

There are some T-mobiles phones that work also on the 850 freq. For example the Samsung Exhibit 2 4g this one will work on t-mo and att.

Top Liked Posts