VZW XT1060 Unlocked - Replacement

Search This thread

bravesfan171

Jul 1, 2010
Chesapeake, VA
Hey guys,

So I have a VZW Moto X (from Motomaker) with an unlocked bootloader via the Chinese Middleman. UNFORTUNATELY :)crying:) today my phone took a tragic fall and has a nice crack in the glass all the way down from the top left corner. So I am going to take advantage of the Motorola free one-time replacement deal that they have for custom Moto X's.

My question is, when I get the new device and ship the old one back, do I need to worry about the fact that the bootloader is unlocked? I did replace the unlocked boot screen with the stock one and I am running a stock rom. Should I consider re-locking or would that just make it more of an issue?

Thanks!

savini72

Oct 16, 2010
Boston
Hey guys,

So I have a VZW Moto X (from Motomaker) with an unlocked bootloader via the Chinese Middleman. UNFORTUNATELY :)crying:) today my phone took a tragic fall and has a nice crack in the glass all the way down from the top left corner. So I am going to take advantage of the Motorola free one-time replacement deal that they have for custom Moto X's.

My question is, when I get the new device and ship the old one back, do I need to worry about the fact that the bootloader is unlocked? I did replace the unlocked boot screen with the stock one and I am running a stock rom. Should I consider re-locking or would that just make it more of an issue?

Thanks!

i mean it probably doesn't hurt to give it a shot, but if they notice that the bootloader is unlocked they probably wont fix it and will send it back. or will charge you the $175 or whatever it is for a new screen. i think you'd be fine though, i don't think they will turn on the phone and check if its been rooted/unlocked. whatever you do, lets us know!

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
First, relocking wont help. There are 3 states the X bootloader can be in.... Locked, unlocked and relocked. We can only toggle to Unlocked and Relocked. This is displayed on the Bootloader/Fastboot screen. And the "unlocked warning" message in the stock LOGO.BIN will display when you are Unlocked and Relocked. So doing a fastboot oem lock wont change anything.

You should worry because unlocking the non-developer's bootloader *DOES* void the warranty, so if they wanted to, they could refuse the repair, or charge you for it. However, since cracking the screen isn't related, the likeliness of them giving you an issue is probably low.

One other thing to worry about is, will they repair yours, or replace it? I have a friend (doesn't post here) who had a cracked screen. They replaced the phone because the repair was too complex. If this happens, you'll need to buy another Bootloader Unlock code, and the Chinese Website/Middleman isn't as consistent as it was when it originally showed up.

Reactions: bravesfan171

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First, relocking wont help. There are 3 states the X bootloader can be in.... Locked, unlocked and relocked. We can only toggle to Unlocked and Relocked. This is displayed on the Bootloader/Fastboot screen. And the "unlocked warning" message in the stock LOGO.BIN will display when you are Unlocked and Relocked. So doing a fastboot oem lock wont change anything.

You should worry because unlocking the non-developer's bootloader *DOES* void the warranty, so if they wanted to, they could refuse the repair, or charge you for it. However, since cracking the screen isn't related, the likeliness of them giving you an issue is probably low.

One other thing to worry about is, will they repair yours, or replace it? I have a friend (doesn't post here) who had a cracked screen. They replaced the phone because the repair was too complex. If this happens, you'll need to buy another Bootloader Unlock code, and the Chinese Website/Middleman isn't as consistent as it was when it originally showed up.