[MOD] [L][UPDATE 08/01/15] Apple Emoji Replacement for Android Lollipop (System Wide)

Search This thread

JackJoeR

Jan 28, 2012
www.youtube.com
UPDATE: EMOJI'S ARE NOW FIXED, EVERYTHING SHOULD BE WORKING FINE. PLEASE TEST.
[Introduction]
Hello!
This is a mod that will replace Android's Default Colour Emoji (introduced in KitKat I believe) with Apples Default Emoji.

I may be in a minority here but I personally recognize and prefer Apple's iOS themed icons over the Google, and most of my friends have either an android phone with an old version that will not show colour emoji or have iPhones. This means if I try to send a message with Android Emoji it could look completely different on the receiving end.

I found a solution for this by angelsel here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2563757

This worked great, except due to changes in fallback_fonts.xml between KitKat and L, if you flash the KitKat version, the phone will glitch and will not work correctly so I updated a flashable zip posted in the comments by Fusionalex and am sharing it here with you now

[Features Summed Up]
Replaces the stock Emoji with the Apple Emoji (used on iOS and OSX)

[Downloads]
(Also in the attachments)
UPDATED: 8th January 2015
Fixed the black and white emoji that occasionally cropped up

Installer: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4odobvu_awWMzBEZnBYQllwQ0k/view?usp=sharing

Uninstaller: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4odobvu_awWcDRPVFZZSUFuZ3M/view?usp=sharing

[Screenshots Before and After (Large, sorry)]

8lgK31P.png
zTWoHCR.png

LJcDdWt.png
jy4rP9C.png

Others:
N0kmCJN.png

pPHKZKL.png

NOTE
Although the Emoji's seem faded, that is the nature of Google Keep's notes, the actual Emoji's are in full colour, as shown here in Hangouts:
jln7tCp.png

[Notice]
I am not a dev, I simply updated a mod that came with a guide that assisted in doing so, that being said, I will assist where possible and update this as much as I can.

This should work on Nexus 7 as well but untested, if not I can easily make a Nexus 7 version so let me know

If anybody thinks I am using their work and would like me to remove files please let me know - thanks! :)

Last edited:

TheLastSidekick

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
I personally have been using this mod for months. I feel the difference between Android and iOS emojis are different enough to confuse people texting from Android to iOS and vice versa. My girlfriend of course has an iPhone so it's easier to communicate because I see what she sees. That being said while the Android emojis are lively and colorful, the iOS emojis do provide a nice sense of detail.

Again, this is coming from an anti Apple guy. And Apple didn't make those emojis, Softbank JP did, correct me if I'm wrong.

mysterio619

Aug 27, 2011
Bangalore
Exactly what I was looking for......I am used to whatsapp Smiley's and android Smiley's really confused me.....thank you so much.....works on KitKat too.....I'm currently using it with vanir rom

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

JackJoeR

Jan 28, 2012
www.youtube.com
To each his own, but talk about a step backwards. I have friends on iOS who prefer the Android icons - the iOS ones just look outdated and ugly today.

Where most of my friends wouldn't even know Android had Emoji (most of them don't even know what Android is...) It's an optional thing I thought I'd share that I like to use :)
I personally can't always tell what the Google Emoji is to correspond to the Apple (Softbank) one.

JackJoeR

Jan 28, 2012
www.youtube.com
I personally have been using this mod for months. I feel the difference between Android and iOS emojis are different enough to confuse people texting from Android to iOS and vice versa. My girlfriend of course has an iPhone so it's easier to communicate because I see what she sees. That being said while the Android emojis are lively and colorful, the iOS emojis do provide a nice sense of detail.

Again, this is coming from an anti Apple guy. And Apple didn't make those emojis, Softbank JP did, correct me if I'm wrong.

This is the reason I too use this mod, I'm not fond of Apple but I don't find that the Apple Emojis (Technically Softbank you're right, but people recognise them for their use in Apple devices) don't look out of place within Android and it helps me understand

Reactions: TheLastSidekick

JackJoeR

Jan 28, 2012
www.youtube.com
Exactly what I was looking for......I am used to whatsapp Smiley's and android Smiley's really confused me.....thank you so much.....works on KitKat too.....I'm currently using it with vanir rom

The only reason I wouldn't use it on KitKat is because it'll change some font settings, but if it works for you then great :D glad other people like it

xitopodo

Jun 26, 2014
Jaén
I like Andoid Emoji, but in my opinion, I think Apple Emoji is better.

Furthermore, it's the icons that WhatsApp is using and we are used to them.

Thanks for share. I will try :D

Jun 29, 2012
Los Angeles
Sweet! works great! However, I've noticed that on L, it leaves a few emojis in their original google emoji design, anyone else get this?

EDIT: Disregard this, didn't read OP >.<

Last edited:

JackJoeR

Jan 28, 2012
www.youtube.com
Sweet! works great! However, I've noticed that on L, it leaves a few emojis in their original google emoji design, anyone else get this?

EDIT: Disregard this, didn't read OP >.<

It annoys me that this happens :( its not too bad because you can still distinguish emoji apart but it doesn't feel as polished.
I will work on fixing it in the near future but a lot of the tools the original creator of the mod used appear outdated (that being said I've not done a lot of research)
If I fix it I'll obviously upload it here and if anybody else wants to, I have no problem with that

cboss718

Nov 7, 2011
Thanks for the mod OP. Any update on if you got all the emojis working? Getting the Nexus on Wednesday and this is one of the first mods i'm installing.

JackJoeR

Jan 28, 2012
www.youtube.com
Thanks for the mod OP. Any update on if you got all the emojis working? Getting the Nexus on Wednesday and this is one of the first mods i'm installing.

No luck as of yet - there's only very few that don't work so it very rarely bugs me however I am occasionally searching for some kind of solution - its quite complicated from what I've read so far and I'm quite lazy so... I will continue to try just don't expect anything soon/ever as I'm sure someone far more intelligent than I will do it easily

Reactions: cboss718

Top Liked Posts