JIT ENABLED and working

Search This thread

Jus10o

Mar 11, 2010
READ BEFORE TRYING
I am cdma hero user and it works very well for me. This should work on gsm hero. I pulled this from HERE, it was for the Milestone Android phone which is a GSM phone.

Before enabling
*Change home laucher
*Delete htc lock screen
see below if you dont no how

Jit does not work with htc sense, it will give you many problems. I suggest using Helix launcher from market (free and its what i use daily with no issues). You can also try GDE and nexus launcher, or really anything other then sense.
To change launchers go to setting>applications>manage apps>htc sense And clear defaults. Press home and choose a different launcher.
OR download "Home Switcher" from market.. Its a free app that lets you change between launchers.

JIT does not like any HTC apps.. So delete your HtcLockScreen by doing this.
Code:
adb remount
adb shell rm /system/app/HtcLockScreen.apk
Here is the htc lock screen if you want it back
HtcLockScreen

JIT is in no way perfect on our htc hero's so MAKE A BACKUP before trying.
And you could very well run into TONS of problems, its just something to test out.
Though if used right, you wont have any problems. I use this daily.

THIS IS FOR JIT
Download: *View attachment vmlibs.zip*
Then follow these steps:
•Create 2 folders on your sdcard: “jit” & “dalbk”
•Extract the vmlibs.zip to the “jit” folder on your sdcard

•Using ADB pull your build.prop
Code:
adb remount
ADB pull /system/build.prop build.prop
-It will place the file in your c:/android/tools folder
-Edit this using notepad or similiar program.
•Add the following line to the end of the build.prop: dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:jit
-Save the changes and move it to the directory c:/
•Push it back to your “jit” folder on the sdcard

Code:
ADB push C:\build.prop /sdcard/jit/build.prop
This will back up your current files. So you can disable jit.
Code:
ADB shell
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock6 /system
cp /system/build.prop /sdcard/dalbk/
cp /system/bin/dalvikvm /sdcard/dalbk/
cp /system/lib/libdvm.so /sdcard/dalbk/
cp /system/lib/libnativehelper.so /sdcard/dalbk/
This will enable jit on your phone.
Code:
cd /sdcard/jit/bin
cp -f dalvikvm /system/bin/
busybox chmod 755 /system/bin/dalvikvm
cd /sdcard/jit
cp -f libdvm.so /system/lib/
cp -f libnativehelper.so /system/lib/
cat build.prop >/system/build.prop
chmod 644 /system/lib/libdvm.so
chmod 644 /system/lib/libnativehelper.so
chmod 666 /system/build.prop
sync
reboot
WIPE DALVIK CACHE AFTER ENABLING JIT.. This will cause your phone from sometimes going into a boot loop.

You dont have to wipe your whole phone.. Only dalvik cache. Your phone will take awhile to reboot since its rebuilding dalvik. Be patient. If it eventually freezes then reboot and it should go through fine after that.

TO DISABLE:
This should disable JIT and return phone back to defualt

Code:
adb remount
adb shell
su
cd /sdcard/dalbk/
cp -f dalvikvm /system/bin
busybox chmod 755 /system/bin/dalvikvm
cp -f libdvm.so /system/lib/
cp -f libnativehelper.so /system/lib/
chmod 644 /system/lib/libdvm.so
chmod 644 /system/lib/libnativehelper.so
sync
reboot

Post For help if the disabling gives you any problems.. If it does you can always do back up of your rom that you should of made.

Original site http://sholes.id.au/how-to/

Attachments

• snap20100407_035649.jpg
    snap20100407_035649.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 2,613
Last edited:

Jus10o

Mar 11, 2010
Awesome.. I really hope that some of the hero devs can optimize this for the hero.

I am hoping this also. Most devs dont work on things like this, or know enough about it to fix it.
The only real problem I have had was using htc widgets, htc sense, and htc lockscreen. When I use other home screens, and delete the htc lockscreen, I can run error free with JIT enabled.

madsborelli

Nov 1, 2009
I am hoping this also. Most devs dont work on things like this, or know enough about it to fix it.
The only real problem I have had was using htc widgets, htc sense, and htc lockscreen. When I use other home screens, and delete the htc lockscreen, I can run error free with JIT enabled.

Can you feel the difference in speed?

Jus10o

Mar 11, 2010
Can you feel the difference in speed?

Everything is really instant. I clicked and then closed and clicked and closed multiple apps on my screen and it never hung up or lagged.
Before jit, it was pretty quick but every once in a while would slow up on opening or closing, or switching apps specialy when recieving a call or text at the same time.

One example is. Before jit I was using the yellowpages app with voice command and it would take forever loading voice and then entering what i said into the text box. I tested with jit and it was all pretty instant and never paused or lagged after multiple test.

I posted this on cdma hero and this hero, it gets alot of views but no one seems to actually been trying it and posting about it.

I would like to know what kind of improvements its makes from JIT disabled and JIT enabled for other people.
I understand you all have completely different roms so the numbers can't be directly compared. But the improvement between stock and JIT should show some resemblance from my rom and gsm roms.

Last edited:

Jus10o

Mar 11, 2010
OK, I'm also one of the readers ;)
The most important thing why I do not try it to use is, that I wanna held the "Sense UI".

Thats would be also the main reason for the other readers ;)

regards
Dominic

Yeah I understand. I was one of those people. But I have come to like the helix launcher and beautiful widgets combination. I dont use any of the htc widgets other then the clock, which has a replacement for it.

Also over in cdma hero, many of the people use other launchers and dont use htc sense. Just for speed or personal favorites. I dont know how it is with here.

You can also disable jit very easily by changing the build.prop and having all htc widgets and sense usable agian.

eldrid

Jul 17, 2006
London
www.messaggio.in
when i do this "mount -o remount,ro /dev/mtd/mtdblock6 /system" it says
mount: device or resource busy

Also how does one get the $ sign whenever i type adb shell it automatically goes to the next line showing me #

Also after running these commands my hero boots but get stuck when i try to unlock the screen by dragging it down, is this not compatible with roise? im running Be hero 1.2.6 which is an ERIS port(2.1).

kendong2

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 29, 2009
should be remounted when you reboot anyway.

Also how does one get the $ sign whenever i type adb shell it automatically goes to the next line showing me #
then $ means you are logged in as an unprivileged user, the # indicates that you are root. so if you get # after opening adb shell that is fine, you can skip the 'su' command then.

Also after running these commands my hero boots but get stuck when i try to unlock the screen by dragging it down, is this not compatible with roise? im running Be hero 1.2.6 which is an ERIS port(2.1).
second line of the first post should clarify that...

Jus10o

Mar 11, 2010

The error i received to, dont worry about it.

Yes mine goes to #, ill edit the instructions.

And after it reboots to the screen. Press menu to unlock your phone, DO NOT SLIDE.. It rarely works sliding.

And once you press menu, go to settings, applications, manage applications. Find htc sense, and CLEAR DEFAULT...
Then go to the market and download helix launcher.. You need to do all of this if you want NO force closes and no problems. Once its installed you can press home and select helix as default. Reverse the step to put htc sense back on.

If you really want to use sense ui, you must disable JIT.. Boot up your phone, let it load to the lockscreen. Dont touch anything. Do the steps to edit build.prop and do

TO DISABLE:
CHANGING THIS IN build.prop... This should disable JIT (I have not tested this yet, will post if this works later)

dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:jit

To:

dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:fast

push it back to your phone, and reboot

Last edited:

Jus10o

Mar 11, 2010
Thank you Kendong2 for replying, I was typing it out when you posted. I didnt know you had helped already.

If anyone does try this, feel free to post what home screen launcher and what errors you come across. Other then htc related things.

Last edited:

Arkymedes

Dec 6, 2009
France
I just enabled JIT. Doing some tests now.

---

Alright, this are the results in a "real world" environment:

JIT DISABLED/JIT ENABLED:

NeoCore with sound: 24.4/24.4
NeoCore without sound: 28.8/28.8
Softweg GPU test: 117/116
Lag test: 41/40
Linpack: 2.312/3.663

The only noticeable result was with Linpack, let's say, RAW processing power. All the graphics benchmarks show same performance with JIT enabled. I guess it's a good thing then right?

Last edited:

bluescreenkid

Jan 3, 2008
now running alright and seems to be stable. can't tell too much of a difference at the moment but here is the result from linpack.

ahero v0.71 with 64MB swap
Configured with: debugger profiler hprof with_jit show_exception=1

BSK :D

Attachments

• device.png
    device.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 177

Arkymedes

Dec 6, 2009
France
ok, im trying to disable it but cannot?

where do i have to change from jit to fast? in the build.prop from sd card right?

bluescreenkid

Jan 3, 2008
@Arkymedes

if you edit build.props in /sdcard/jit then whilst your in that directory do a :

sync
reboot

once you have rebooted, it might be worthwhile going back into adb shell and typing this :

dalvikvm -h

i think you should not see "with_jit" in the last line.

Arkymedes

Dec 6, 2009
France
@Arkymedes

if you edit build.props in /sdcard/jit then whilst your in that directory do a :

sync
reboot

once you have rebooted, it might be worthwhile going back into adb shell and typing this :

dalvikvm -h

i think you should not see "with_jit" in the last line.

Followed every step that you mentioned...

After reboot that's what I get in the last line after "dalvikvm -h":

Configured with: debugger profiler hprof with_jit show_exception=1

:(

PS: anyway, I think it's disabled since the scores in Linpack are the normal ones, around 2.250 or something.

Well well...

Last edited:

tbman1996

Feb 9, 2010
I just enabled this and after first reboot absolutely everything crashes and I can't get past the lockscreen. Rebooting again now.

EDIT: Same again next reboot. Am on Androbin 2.1 Vanilla ROM

Last edited:

bluescreenkid

Jan 3, 2008
@Arkymedes

if you followed the instructions you should have backups in the /sdcard/dalbk/ folder. just use the instructions again to put them all back.

but it looks like it's not now using the JIT you just copied across anyway.