[Q] Boot loop after updating twrp

Search This thread

mightyrooster

Mar 22, 2014
Currently on CROMi-X 5.4, so getting ready for CROMBi-kk and flashed twrp-2.6.3_that from twrp-2.5 but found myself in a boot loop. Going back to recovery I can see that 2.6.3 has taken, so getting a little bit worried...
Didn't do anything else (promise!) - no wipe, no flash of -kk yet (can't wait though).

Any help would be appreciated!

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
Updating your recovery cannot cause a boot loop of your main ROM. How did you install TWRP?

To diagnose your bootloop, we need a logcat.

mightyrooster

Mar 22, 2014
I flashed your flashable twrp 2.6.3 via twrp 2.5 then tried to reboot, but it never came back.

I'll generate a logcat and get back to you - thanks for the quick reply

mightyrooster

Mar 22, 2014
Logcat attached - hope you can make something of it:fingers-crossed:

Getting a logcat is a good challenge for a newbie!

Attachments

• logcat.txt
    408.2 KB · Views: 26

_that

Oct 2, 2012
Logcat attached - hope you can make something of it:fingers-crossed:

Getting a logcat is a good challenge for a newbie!

The difference between a newbie and a noob is that the newbie accepts the challenge, searches for a guide, and succeeds. Good work! :)

This is your problem:

Code:
F/SystemServer(  560): BOOT FAILURE starting Audio Service

F/SystemServer(  560): java.lang.ArithmeticException: divide by zero

F/SystemServer(  560): 	at android.media.AudioService.rescaleIndex(AudioService.java:767)

F/SystemServer(  560): 	at android.media.AudioService.access$3900(AudioService.java:103)

F/SystemServer(  560): 	at android.media.AudioService$VolumeStreamState.setAllIndexes(AudioService.java:2906)

F/SystemServer(  560): 	at android.media.AudioService.checkAllAliasStreamVolumes(AudioService.java:588)

F/SystemServer(  560): 	at android.media.AudioService.createStreamStates(AudioService.java:610)

F/SystemServer(  560): 	at android.media.AudioService.<init>(AudioService.java:502)

F/SystemServer(  560): 	at com.android.server.ServerThread.run(SystemServer.java:636)

This looks familiar...

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49545088&postcount=12

sbdags

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
The difference between a newbie and a noob is that the newbie accepts the challenge, searches for a guide, and succeeds. Good work! :)

This is your problem:

Code:
F/SystemServer(  560): BOOT FAILURE starting Audio Service

F/SystemServer(  560): java.lang.ArithmeticException: divide by zero

F/SystemServer(  560): 	at android.media.AudioService.rescaleIndex(AudioService.java:767)

F/SystemServer(  560): 	at android.media.AudioService.access$3900(AudioService.java:103)

F/SystemServer(  560): 	at android.media.AudioService$VolumeStreamState.setAllIndexes(AudioService.java:2906)

F/SystemServer(  560): 	at android.media.AudioService.checkAllAliasStreamVolumes(AudioService.java:588)

F/SystemServer(  560): 	at android.media.AudioService.createStreamStates(AudioService.java:610)

F/SystemServer(  560): 	at android.media.AudioService.<init>(AudioService.java:502)

F/SystemServer(  560): 	at com.android.server.ServerThread.run(SystemServer.java:636)

This looks familiar...

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49545088&postcount=12

That error was seen on CROMi-X 5 to 5.3 as it was using cromi-control to change the volume steps. If cromi-control was removed the framework still had references to look for the volume control hook and bootlooped as it was no longer there.

With 5.4 I believe I have removed all evidence of cromi-control by going back to the default framework, systemui etc.

Is the original OP sure he is on 5.4? It can be fixed with a clean wipe of 5.4 or crombi-kk.

mightyrooster

Mar 22, 2014
Well I've stuffed it now - def. a noob

I found the rest of the thread with sbdags instructions to wipe and restore - but didn't read the bit about first copying backups to external storage...

So now I've got a tablet with the root folders and TWRP, but that's all. Everything else is gone, so how on earth do I now flash a ROM without being able to load the ROM onto the tablet?

And just saw @sbdags reply - I checked and was actually on CROMi-X 5.1.2 - my apologies.

I'm happy to go to 5.4 (waiting for kk to be stable) but as above don't know how to copy it over - or is it as simple as an adb push?

sbdags

Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
Well I've stuffed it now - def. a noob

I found the rest of the thread with sbdags instructions to wipe and restore - but didn't read the bit about first copying backups to external storage...

So now I've got a tablet with the root folders and TWRP, but that's all. Everything else is gone, so how on earth do I now flash a ROM without being able to load the ROM onto the tablet?

And just saw @sbdags reply - I checked and was actually on CROMi-X 5.1.2 - my apologies.

I'm happy to go to 5.4 (waiting for kk to be stable) but as above don't know how to copy it over - or is it as simple as an adb push?

adb push rom.zip /sdcard

should get you going - obviously rom.zip is in the same folder as adb.exe

That will put it on your internal sdcard and will take about 5 mins to copy. If you have a microsd you could just transfer it to that on a pc ;)

mightyrooster

Mar 22, 2014
You guys are good - who'd have thought I'd have @_that and @sbdags helping me out - haven't you guys got enough to do?

So I downloaded CROMi-X 5.4, put it in the same directory as adb, launched a cmd prompt and ran the push. But it failed - turns out I needed to launch the prompt from the actual adb directory, even with the PATH set.

Anyway, the ROM copied across, I used TWRP to install (took a couple of goes) but I'm back up a running with a lovely clean system and great ROM.

I can't thank you both enough:D

Last edited:
Reactions: sbdags

sbdags

Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
You guys are good - who'd have thought I'd have @_that and @sbdags helping me out - haven't you guys got enough to do?

So I downloaded CROMi-X 5.4, put it in the same directory as adb, launched a cmd prompt and ran the push. But it failed - turns out I needed to launch the prompt from the actual adb directory, even with the PATH set.

Anyway, the ROM copied across, I used TWRP to install (took a couple of goes) but I'm back up a running with a lovely clean system and great ROM.

Nicely done :victory:

Reactions: mightyrooster

_that

Oct 2, 2012

The file you want to push must be in your *current* directory, not in the one containing adb, as you already found out. :) Only if adb is not in your PATH, it is easiest to put everything in the same directory.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Nicely done :victory: