[Q] SM-P600 with 3G USB Key?

Search This thread

Kasimodo

Dec 27, 2008
Android City
Hello,

I have a SM-P600 with Android 4.4.2 (Note 10.1 2014 Edition) and would like to use my 3G USB Key (Huawei E1752) ; This 3G stick works fine on my old TF101.
I've tried to use it with my SM-P600 but infortunetely, it doesn't seem to work, even with the "PPP Widget" apps. PPP Widget displays the famous "No driver found" issue. Josh, "PPP Widget" developer, told me ther eis no way for the moment to make his apps working because there is no loading module (.ko file).
So I wonder if I could use a SM-P601 ROM (SM-P600 with 3G) on my SM-P600 to get the right modules or flashinf P601 ROM on P600 means "brick"?
Otherwise is there another way to make a 3G USB key working on this tablet?

Best regards.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2014
Unfortunately...

Part of the problem is that a custom kernel module would need to be loaded with root, via insmod, and this would need to be coded and constantly reinjected on boot. As far as I know most of these fobs do not make their drivers open-source, specifically, although I could see a possibility in modifying one of the generic drivers from a typical linux full install (likely heavily modified). Even with a ko/kernel module, however, it's possible that the fob might not be able to get enough power from the tablet, itself; I'm not sure what the power draw is, but I have a few laying around; I could probably check that later on.

All of that said, while it may be possible to try to hack something up to work with OTG (for instance I know it CAN be done with external network devices in general (there have been successful drivers built for external Alfa wifi usb-based adapters, but that's wifi), my suspicion is that even if 1) and 2) here were fulfilled, there'd need to be support in other ways built into the ROM itself (I'm wondering if a bunch of the code for this could be pulled from the existent 605 ROM though, which is a consideration). I'm not sure if, for instance, even if JB/KK on the Galaxy Note 2014 were to be made to recognize it, you wouldn't have to disable other things to make it work; I know for the external USB wifi devices, a hack was needed to disable the onboard wifi within the device.

If I had the time or the money I'd certainly be willing to try to make something custom in general. That said, I'm wondering if linuxonandroid (search the forums, or check out linuxonandroid.org) might support it out of the box on the full system img's (given functionality, Kali's kernel probably has the best chance of any of the current available ones, but I don't really know; I'm grabbing the image later on tonight to see what happens if I try)...

In general, though, I suspect that even if this somehow partially works, there are going to be a lot of problems that only a real custom ROM would solve. Though frankly, I can't figure out why nobody has yet. Maybe, like me, people just don't have enough time, and the people who do have time and the skill don't really need a specialized ROM enough.

I'm still kicking myself in the butt for not getting the 3G version for development purposes, personally; hundreds of dollars more for what one could get in a USB fob for 20-30 bucks only sounded like a bad deal til I wanted the functionality; your best bet may be to get a crapper of an android phone for under a hundred dollars and just let it be a hotspot. It's what I finally just gave in to doing. The one upside is decent battery life; if the P600 could supply enough power for the USB 3G dongle to work, all USB-dongled devices, to the best of my knowledge, kill batteries faster than anything built-in would.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

Kasimodo

Dec 27, 2008
Android City
Yes... You're probabably right. Don't know.
And I could use an old phone to be a hotspot or something else like that, but it's not what I want :cyclops: Just one device for all will be better.

Jun 27, 2014
Yes... You're probabably right. Don't know.
And I could use an old phone to be a hotspot or something else like that, but it's not what I want :cyclops: Just one device for all will be better.

I'd really prefer the same thing, myself. I generally carry around a phone with my other stuff anyway and don't use it for much in the way of voice calls, so it's not too much of a burden. There's also hostapd in linux, or any of a number of mobile routers you can boot up in vbox, if you're carrying a laptop around at the same time; I really hate that our devices, and android in general, won't do 'ad-hoc' networks. I think that's one of my biggest gripes.

I suspect once Ubuntu touch is fully stable it'll be our best option; at a minimum I'm pretty sure I could easily crank out a driver for that. Android, I'm not sure. I'll let you know if I find the time to dig around with with droid though; I've been meaning to learn more about device driver support in Android anyway, now that it's finally pretty much mature.