adb insufficient permissions

Search This thread

raim1312

Jan 16, 2010
RI
I've had a MT3G for awhile and just upgraded to a Nexus One. I still have my old phone and can use adb with the MT3G without any issues. When I try using adb with the Nexus one i receive an error insufficient permissions on the device. Here's some more info about my setup:
Nexus One:
Clockwork Mod Recovery
CM6.0.0RC1
USB debugging is enabled

Computer:
Ubuntu 10.04
I have the rules set up for adb

I have tried remounting and restarted adb with root permissions and have still receiving the same error. I've tried connecting to another Ubuntu box and a windows xp box with the same error.
Any help?

raim1312

Jan 16, 2010
RI
When i run adb devices i receive this:

List of devices attached
???????????? no permissions

adb shell gives this:

error: insufficient permissions for device

I receive the same output running the commands as user or superuser. I've also killed and started the server as user and root. Remember I'm running the udev rules so I can run these commands as user.

Today I went ahead and reflashed my phone. I downloaded cm6 from xda and frf91 from the same post. Checked the md5sum for the update and then wiped and flashed.
Even after the wipe I'm in the same spot.

raim1312

Jan 16, 2010
RI
When I first got the device I used fastboot to unlock the bootloader.
now the command
Code:
fastboot reboot

hangs at

Code:
< waiting for device >

I can still reboot the device into recovery and fastboot.

raim1312

Jan 16, 2010
RI
another update.
I rebooted into recovery (holding trackball and power) and tried running fastboot devices. It found my phone. While fully loaded it normally displays nothing.

adb devices is still blank but I'm not sure if it's supposed to work while in recovery.

codesplice

Jun 17, 2008
Huntsville, AL, USA
last thoughts, as it's been a while since I've used adb on Ubuntu...

Code:
./adb kill-server
./adb start-server
./adb devices
???
./PROFIT

It seems to be somehow an issue with your local adb set up, not anything phone-related. Could even perhaps be a driver issue.

Reactions: aaopt

codesplice

Jun 17, 2008
Huntsville, AL, USA
another update.
I rebooted into recovery (holding trackball and power) and tried running fastboot devices. It found my phone. While fully loaded it normally displays nothing.

adb devices is still blank but I'm not sure if it's supposed to work while in recovery.

Yeah, should've pointed out that fastboot will only work while in fastboot mode ;)

trackball + power == fastboot, btw.
volume_down + power == hboot, which will let you boot into recovery

trackball + volume_down + power == three-finger salute, the equivalent to CTRL+ALT+DEL

raim1312

Jan 16, 2010
RI
i get the same results after killing and starting adb either as user or root. i'll pull out the drivers and android sdk and reinstall. i'll let you know how it goes once its done

raim1312

Jan 16, 2010
RI
Yeah, should've pointed out that fastboot will only work while in fastboot mode ;)

trackball + power == fastboot, btw.
volume_down + power == hboot, which will let you boot into recovery

trackball + volume_down + power == three-finger salute, the equivalent to CTRL+ALT+DEL

Yeah sorry about that one. i'm still a newb but willing to learn

raim1312

Jan 16, 2010
RI
i just reinstalled the android sdk and removed the udev rules. gave my pc a reboot and killed then started the adb server.
same issue.

to verify adb was working i plugged my gf's mt3g in and adb found it.

i've never need to reinstall usb drivers in anything but windows so honestly I don't know how to do it in ubuntu. can you point me in the right place?

raim1312

Jan 16, 2010
RI
I installed the rom froyou frf50 with radio from here:

http://android.modaco.com/content/g...ed-update-zip-no-radio-option-online-kitchen/

didn't work.

while looking into returning the phone to stock i received an ota update. so i ran it.

the update failed during a signature check.

i tried to follow the instructions here to return to stock: http://androidspin.com/2010/05/06/guide-unrooting-your-nexus-one-its-like-it-never-happened-almost/

only issue is fastboot will not find my device.
performed a nandroid restore to go back to cm6 frf91.

fastboot still will not find my device.

i'm at a loss here. the device is usable for everything but adb. and adb is the main thing i need. i dont' want to keep whacking at this and cause more issues.

any ideas are welcome. all my data is backed up and the bootloader is already unlocked.

raim1312

Jan 16, 2010
RI
its... working??? i finally got adb to recognize my device.
first i restored the phone back to stock using this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=717870

then i replaced the cable i was using for one from a Motorola droid. (since the mt3g has a different usb port i had to use a different cable).

then i ran the adb kill and start server commands as root. and voila. it works.

i remove the cable and go back to the one that came with the phone and it still works. not sure what happened but adt is working as well. so im back up and running. i wish i knew the cause of this frustration but i fear i will never know. anyway thanks for all your help!

Cloned2

Jan 12, 2010
Yikes.... take your boat back!!!
Perhaps you ran chmod u+s on adb?
Edit: Yep, that was the problem for me..
I don't know the commands to well, so i just right clicked adb and went to permissions and removed set uid.
seems adb needs started from root, but making the file always run as root doesn't work so well.. I thought it would fix my annoyances with eclipse starting adb with not enough permissions. Perhaps ill chmod u+s eclipse instead.

Oh and btw... nexus one can kiss my a$#. HTC Hero!! :D

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    last thoughts, as it's been a while since I've used adb on Ubuntu...

Code:
    ./adb kill-server
    ./adb start-server
    ./adb devices
    ???
    ./PROFIT

It seems to be somehow an issue with your local adb set up, not anything phone-related. Could even perhaps be a driver issue.